Why become a member? ×

What never comes up for sale and why?

pmjos

Over the past couple of years I have bought and sold, found what I like and what I don't. Its been very helpful.

Even the rarest things come up for sale now and again. Makes me wonder what are the real keepers? What don't you see. Forget price, prestige or scarcity, which models, amps, just don't come up for sale. What would have to be pried from your cold, dead, bass players fingers?

Edited by pmjos

A few months ago I'd have said my Ashdown Touring combo, but that's now up for sale. I can't imagine parting with my Barefaced Super Twin, or my white Precision...but situations and priorities change, things you love with all your heart can become just objects you need to get rid of. And you can't take any of it with you when you leave this world, I'd rather see my gear passed on to people who will use it than to hang on to it until the bitter end.

There is nothing that never comes up, unless it is just so incredibly rare as to be unobtainable.

A lot of folks like to change gear now and then, just for a change and even the best bits of kit don't suit some people but do suit others. Thank goodness we're not all the same !

The original Ibanez Prometheans are rare beasts.

I also remember the days when Barefaced Compacts were few and far between; they'd be sold, within about 10 seconds, after they were posted up for sale.

But that was before Alex figured out, that creating 'The only cab you'll ever need', was an extremely bad business model.

Roscoe Century Signature basses. The last one here appears to have been 2013 and I have not seen one in Bass Direct since my one. Plenty of Customs but no Signatures. Why? I suspect they are very rare over here and are also great to play. I can't see me selling mine for some time, if ever.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1495999525' post='3308048']
I have never seen a TE V8 for sale, but there weren't many to start with.
[/quote]

Kiwi sold his about 3 years ago. There was another one sold by Hiram as well not long after that.

But, yeah. Rare.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1495978566' post='3307874']
I've never seen a vintage Kustom tuck & roll head with matching cab for sale here.

Some them look so cool - especially in blue sparkle 😁
[/quote]

My first "proper" rig in 1981 was a black Kustom 250 head into a "tall" 2 x 15 Fender Bassman cab. It sounded utterly amazing, but the cab was so knackered it wasn't to last, eventually it came apart at the joints and rattled, so was replaced with a big Trace Elliott rig!

Edited by MoJoKe

Lucky enough to own one of the original Promethean amps as mentioned above, the 1x10 combo with the 1x10 extension cab, and I'll never part with it.

I guess we should add Dumble amps to the above list for obvious reasons. I believe the bass variant was called the Winterland.

I'm building a hoard of unobtainables. I contemplate selling my SWR SM1500 from time to time but quickly talk myself out of it even though it's a PITA to gig with due to the weight. Equally you'll have to prise my collection of Overwaters out of my cold dead hands.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1496827403' post='3314058']
I would not have sold my Crate Powerblock amp ever - shame it got stolen! It served as a perfect small/light backup amp for guitar and bass, and even had it powering our wedge monitors once.
[/quote]

That's the sort of roles mine fills too (as well as a power amp for whatever needs a few watts thrown at it) - bloody useful little fellas they are...

A

[url="http://www.vampower.com/"]http://www.vampower.com/[/url] - never seen any of them for sale. Probably because they only ever made about 250 amps...

I have this for sale now: I think it's pretty rare too, considering it was probably one of the very first HiWatt cabinets:
[url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/vintage-60s70s-hiwatt-cabinet-4x12-50w-cast-frame-fane-speakers/1246890581"]https://www.gumtree....kers/1246890581[/url]

Edited by PawelG