Why become a member? ×

NAD - is it just in my head...

citymariner

So after having some numpty at a gig borrow my gear and plug both outputs from my LMIII into one of my cabs, I've been having a few problems with the amp cutting out. I haven't had time to send it off as its all happened this weekend - any ideas what plugging both outputs to one can actually does to the amp?

Anyway, need something as I was gigging the last night so needed something so popped into PMT and had a look around - no Ampeg in stock so had a play through the the range of stuff they had in there and ended up settling on an Orange OB1 - stuck it in the flight case and literally left to the gig.

It sounded bloody brilliant - on its own I can see why people say it is full of mids so decided to use it in conjunction with my rack SansAmp and boy did I get a good vibe. The whole band commented on how good it sounded. I'm going to pull the SansAmp

Musician StingRay (2eq) --> G50 --> Mxr Comp --> SansAmp RBI --> OB1 --> 2x MarkBass 102

There just seemed to be so much more defined punch - everything I want from a bass sound.

Is it the Class A/B v Class D debate, again?

Anyways, I'll send the MB LMIII off for repair - I can use it with the double bass for a more transparent sound but the OB1 is staying.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1495970629' post='3307820']

Is it the Class A/B v Class D debate, again?

[/quote]

DOn't think so, because the LMIII is class A/B too as far as I understand it.

Out of interest, did you just use the Orange clean or use its OD blended in ??

Just done a little googling, and I wasn't completely correct. Iit would seem the LMII and original lmIII had analogue class A/B power amps, then Markbass changed the LMIII (roughly about 2012 ) to a class D power module. THat seems to be the concensus of opinion. I could still be wrong though !

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1495970629' post='3307820']
any ideas what plugging both outputs to one can actually does to the amp?
[/quote]

In theory, nothing. It's electrically the same as having a thicker cable, so if anything your amp would have a minutely easier time of it.

Orange is probably just a better amp than the MB, for your needs anyway (not wishing to offend people!)
Sometimes a change is good for the ears.

The A/B or D debate will run and run and the worst part is some manufacturers do not give the whole picture in stats and capabilities of class D amps and power outage, however if either is done well, it's done very well and sounds amazing

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1496059700' post='3308428']
It's electrically the same as having a thicker cable, so if anything your amp would have a minutely easier time of it.
[/quote]If anything the lower resistance of dual cables would lower the overall impedance load, and that might make things harder on the amp. OTOH if the cables are undersized to begin with the lower resistance could lessen insertion loss, and that would ease the load on the amp, so it could work either way.
Then there's the scenario if the amp has dual power amps, ala the Ashdown Superfly for instance. Plugging both into a single cab with parallel jacks could fry a 'Fly. I don't know what the LM III configuration is, but the possibility for damage does exist.
[quote]after having some numpty at a gig borrow my gear [/quote][i]That's [/i]the source of the problem. If I do let someone sit in I have one rule: don't touch the amp. If they don't like the way it sounds that's their tough luck for not bringing their own gear.

Yeah my LM3 is later than 2012 so is likely to be Class D.

I do love the MB stuff- my double bass sounds awesome through it. However, with ACDC band at the mo the Orange does give me more of what I want to hear.

It says on the back of the cabs NOT to plug both inputs into the cab.The cables are quality ones made by OBBM (?? If that's his name can't remember)

You're right Bill about lending gear- time was tight between sets so he was doing me a 'favour' as I was running the sound for the gig- I asked me to take the flightcase and the two cabs on stage and he took it upon himself to help further by taking the panels of the flightcase and start plugging things in.

I've plugged the Markbass lm3 in again today and it worked fine. So I don't know what is wrong with it. The fan is being pretty noisy but it is dust free and clean inside - the amp never full dies as the DI still works and the power stays on but I lose output. Don't know where the fault is and you take the top off and there ain't a chance I can problem solve with all those fancy boards and PCB mounted components. Haha!

It`s always a problem, gear. Our guitarists amp was b*ggered a few weeks back and he didn`t even let anyone use it, just when the band on before us unplugged all their gear and connected his amp up they connected the speaker to the footswitch jack. One valve amp not too happy.