Why become a member? ×

NA

criz360

Hey there,

Where are you based?

I have a Westfield Precision in mint condition, and a Marshall B25 MKII combo which I am selling. £150 together with case and all the bits, £80 for the bass, and £80 for the combo?
Pics available if interested. Run a search for Westfield P on here with my user name, and you should fine a for sale thread.

Thanks,
Matt

Shameless you two! anyway, your best bet is to go to a local music shop and have a dabble in everything, even if it looks a bit odd. It wont feel perfect, it never will first time but make sure you try it with a strap. and just get a feel for where things are.

Then start looking at names!

edit-i see he did ask if you were selling, mybad :)

Edited by ste_m3

Wesley do a nice starter bass for £100. My guitarist recently got one after I had a look around at budget basses for him. It's pretty decent, it turns out. Put on a good set of strings and you could comfortably gig with it. That means you wouldn't need to think about upgrading for a good few years.

[url="http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44184&c=519508&i=231365257"][/url]

Edited by The Funk

Yes, go and try some basses in some shops, as many as you can to get a feel for what you like the sound of. When you've found something you like, then start looking on ebay and on here for some used basses. My advice is don't buy new, as most used basses have already had a setup etc, something a new bass won't have, I'd go for a second hand bass, preferably from here as most people here are good honest folk.

Don't just buy the first bass you see, and don't be tempted to buy a bass you've never played. Your first bass really needs to be comfortable for you, because if you buy something you don't like, you've lost your money and you'll be put off playing bass altogether, and we don't want that!!

TAKE YOUR TIME, and try LOADS of basses before you buy anything!!!

I don't know about that advice. Not for a first bass anyway. Everything feels unnatural when you start playing bass.

Just get a good quality, fairly straightforward bass for a reasonable price and see how you get on.

It's only now after 13 years of playing that I can tell what kinds of basses suit me or don't suit me when I try them out.

EDIT: Also, I'd say the sooner you own a bass, the sooner you can get practising and actually progress.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='33038' date='Jul 17 2007, 01:46 PM']Wesley do a nice starter bass for £100. My guitarist recently got one after I had a look around at budget basses for him. It's pretty decent, it turns out. Put on a good set of strings and you could comfortably gig with it. That means you wouldn't need to think about upgrading for a good few years.

[url="http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44184&c=519508&i=231365257"][/url][/quote]

I've a Tanglewood Acoustic/Electric bass and am looking for a solid body to compliment it. As bass isn't my primary instrument a good budget model will suffice. Why would you opt for a Wesley against say a Washburn T14 or low end Yamaha RBX? Just curious really. No "axe" to grind against Wesley. :-)

Learning a bit about the bass has also helped me with my guitar playing. I'd be interested in readers recommendations too as to a good inexpensive bass - beginner or otherwise.

Many thanks
Glad to have found this community.

Ian

Edited by Suede Subway

The reason I'd recommend the Wesley is that I've played it a couple of times and it's actually a decent bass. I usually expect most basses under £300 to be utter sh!t and many are.

I was extremely surprised that a bass that cost £100 played very well and was constructed/finished well.

I haven't played the cheaper Washburns, Yamahas or Ibanezes so I can't comment on them. I don't know what they're like.

EDIT: My first bass was a Mexican-made Fender Jazz Standard. I've still got it and could happily survive just with that. The trouble is the MIM Fender Jazzes are over £300 IIRC and I think a few duds slip through their quality control procedures.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='33081' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:08 PM']I don't know about that advice. Not for a first bass anyway. Everything feels unnatural when you start playing bass.

Just get a good quality, fairly straightforward bass for a reasonable price and see how you get on.[/quote]

Well yes, but I think it would be a mistake to just buy a bass and see how you get on. I think it's better to try a load of them first, then make a decision.

I depends how much you've got to spend too. The Wesley looks nice, no idea how it plays though as I've never tried one, and that's the problem, you need to try them first, not rely on how it looks, I've tried some basses that look stunning and play like a drain, and I believe that could put a new player off the instrument.

New or old, whatever you go for, try before you buy.

Yeah, you're right about 'the wrong instrument' putting a newbie off playing altogether.

I recommend the Wesley purely 'cos I've played it and was pleased with how it plays. I also think it looks cool and could fit most band styles further down the line.

EDIT: I've recommended it 3 times in this thread now. I should say that I'm not saying it's the best budget bass out there. Just one that I thought was decent value.

Edited by The Funk

Criz,

Unless you already play a guitar or have mates that do and or basses, alot of those recomendations above will sound like degree level Physics.....

Unfortnately you haven't given us an idea how much you have to spend (or your going to get your parents to part with :huh: ) for your 1st bass so its a little tricky giving you sound advice....... (sdaly it always comes down to how much it costs :) )
Several points to think about..... (I was typing tihs while you put the above post on!)

1. As mentioned above, unless you have played a borrowed.....ANY bass will feel a bit weird to start, especially if you have small hands.

2. Unless you are very confident and have played already, going into a shop is,
i) going to be embarrasing as you cant play yet or,
ii) you will be completely at the mercy of the salesperson in the shop----- that could be good----- but in my experiance that may also be very bad. If your going to a shop to look, take a mate or adult that can play preferably.

3. You have to think about what your mates are gonna say when turn up to play with them (You will die if they all fall about laughing when you get it out a case) ..... So choose for your tastes, and with some leaning towards your taste in music.....

4. Along those lines what does the bassist play in your fave band? You can betcha there will be replica copy of that bass somewhere that you can afford.

5. Don't spend all your dosh on the bass, as you will need someting to plug it into (cheap practice amps are not dear, but practicing unplugged can make it hard to get a feel for what your doing, unless its an acoustic)

6. Your money will be better spent on a good 2ndhand bass than a new one... (especilly if its from someone reputable on here :huh: ) as you loose about 30-40% of its value as soon as you take a new one home and play it.

7. WHOEVER gives you advice, listen, and then have a think before you decide...... remember its you thats got to play it (if a mate says "wow, there are ace" but you dont like it... think long and hard becasue there is nothing worse than not wanting to prcatice because you dont like the instrument you have to play).

8. You may have already seen your first WOW bass...... Remember you dont have to buy that straight away, you may start to play bass and find you refer guitar...... Yak-splut....! :huh:

Enjoy looking......

PS you cant go far wrong with a Yamaha or Ibanez....... :huh:

[quote name='criz360' post='33115' date='Jul 17 2007, 04:05 PM']I have a budget of about 230 quid so it should be enough for a guitar and amp second hand, thanks for the advice everyone it really helped![/quote]

Yamaha BB414 or a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Two great basses, and around your budget, they'd be my recommendations.

what price range you looking at???? Ive jsut got back itno playing bass again i played for about 3 years and then stopped and have picked it back up now im 20, Ive jsut bought the Squier Jazz Mintage Modified £250, Id recomend it to anyone.

Guest Bald Eagle

Ibanez GSR 200 is great for a beginner nice thin neck, nice & light, great pick up arrangement for all types of styles great quality & value so highly recommended. Beauty of this bass is it does similar to what a precision type and jazz type can do but in one bass so you get used to the sound position & pick up set ups found in most common basses.

That's just what I think anyway.

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='36138' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:36 PM']Ibanez GSR 200 is great for a beginner nice thin neck, nice & light, great pick up arrangement for all types of styles great quality & value so highly recommended. Beauty of this bass is it does similar to what a precision type and jazz type can do but in one bass so you get used to the sound position & pick up set ups found in most common basses.

That's just what I think anyway.[/quote]

Quite agree-I bought one as a backup for my Aerodyne J-bass, was so impressed I sold the J and got a GS500. Still got the GSR, even though the GS500 is now history!

[quote name='PHiLCORE' post='33812' date='Jul 18 2007, 07:29 PM']what price range you looking at???? Ive jsut got back itno playing bass again i played for about 3 years and then stopped and have picked it back up now im 20, Ive jsut bought the Squier Jazz Mintage Modified £250, Id recomend it to anyone.

[/quote]

Russ has one of these for sale in the for sale bit

They are £206 new - cheapest I've found - and rated highly by everyone, just about.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2081"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2081[/url]

It's a Fender Jazz Bass style, of course, which may not suit you...
(incidentally, this has caused some confusion before with beginners, "Jazz Bass" is the model not the style of music it plays :) )

and I've got a lovely acoustic bass for sale but I'd not recommend starting on one :huh:

• criz360 changed the title to NA