Why become a member? ×

Bergantino B|Amp

ChunkyMunky

As I'm going through a complete gear overhaul, I'm thinking of switching amp heads. I've currently got a Genz Benz Shuttle 12.0 and something else has caught my eye - The Bergantino[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]B[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1]|[/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]Amp.[/b][/size][/font][/color]

Who here has experience with them? Worth the money? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHoNNtuOpsc

Mine has gigged several times now. I love it's clarity, I love the parametric EQ (The latest updates offer more control over the widths of each bands and extended frequency ranges) - Just a really clean and sweet sounding amplifier. It is an expensive amplifier due to the costs of getting them over here, but I would say that yes, I think it is worth it. The Speaker Profiles I think is a really good step forward for DSP in bass gear (You only have to look at all the threads about FRFR etc). I often don't even need EQ on the amp at all and tweak a bit on my basses.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1496015997' post='3308154']
They do look appealing :gas: Can they be rack mounted? I don't remember seeing any info on that.
[/quote]

I don't think they can Abm, unless i guess the amp was mounted to a rack shelf maybe. I could just imagine a pair of these racked in a 1u format running in stereo/dual mono with some big cabs. It'd be a great sound! (OTT mind, but hey, why not!!)

Edited by dood

I didn't play through one but did a whole heap of research on this amp and if you want crystal clear awesome tech this is the one.
It's in my top wanted list if I had loads of disposable income.

It seems phenomenal and Dood pretty much nails it, it's expandability future proofs it.

To me you cannot go wrong with it, all you have to decide is if it's right for you.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1496015997' post='3308154']
They do look appealing :gas: Can they be rack mounted? I don't remember seeing any info on that.
[/quote]

I've successfully housed amps without rack ears by drilling holes through the bottom of the rack case and using carefully measured bolts through the case (with washers to spread the load) into either through or (or without) the feet of the amp into the amp chassis. Most recently I did this with a TF750A until the rack kit arrived... However be sure about what you're doing etc etc etc..

You use a paper template made using the amp case feet holes..

Would I do this with an Agullar DB750 ? no :-) with a class D amp I don't see a problem unless you damage the amp internals by using bolts that are too long..

Edited by markstuk

They look very clever and I see on tb that Jim announces new patches/updates every now and then: compression and new cabs etc.
Loved the review vid too: dood, what mix of shiny bass bits is the purple machine btw?

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1496073258' post='3308552']
They look very clever and I see on tb that Jim announces new patches/updates every now and then: compression and new cabs etc.
Loved the review vid too: dood, what mix of shiny bass bits is the purple machine btw?
[/quote]

The latest firmware does include some nifty features, including a new bluetooth foot controller for switching between presets, tuner and mute function. I think there's other things it can do too!

Thank you, very kind :) :)

Awwww! My bass! It's not a bitsa! :) I have a pair of these and this is a bass with a long story behind it, but in short, it is an AMAZING Fender Power Jazz Bass Special from 1989. It started life in Candy Apple Red (the other is in the red still) but after many years it was time for an upgrade. So a jolly nice chap by the name of Mark Ball Of [url="https://www.facebook.com/Musical-Instrument-Rehab-167262633338121/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser"]Musical Instrument Rehab[/url] decided that given my penchant for flip paint offered up a new coat for my bass. It started off as a bit of an experiment with a different base coat, but it will do a flip paint colour change between a mixture of Pink, Burgundy Mist, Gunmetal Blue and Grey depending on how you spin it in daylight. Like those TVR car paint jobs - although under the studio lights the effect isn't as strong. All other upgrades I did myself. Full set up, new hardware throughout including a Glockenklang 3 Band pre and EMG PJ actives. The Red version is mostly upgraded, but it has a 2 band Glock circuit that I want to change for three at some point.

On the subject of Musical Instrument Rehab, I foresee another paint job happening very soon with a jaw dropping flip paint. Keep your eyes peeled!

Here's an outside pic on my Instagram of the PJBS looking very pink! https://www.instagram.com/p/BIV12I2BldS/?taken-by=danveallbassist

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1496076508' post='3308588']
The latest firmware does include some nifty features, including a new bluetooth foot controller for switching between presets, tuner and mute function. I think there's other things it can do too!

Thank you, very kind :) :)

Awwww! My bass! It's not a bitsa! :) I have a pair of these and this is a bass with a long story behind it, but in short, it is an AMAZING Fender Power Jazz Bass Special from 1989. It started life in Candy Apple Red (the other is in the red still) but after many years it was time for an upgrade. So a jolly nice chap by the name of Mark Ball Of [url="https://www.facebook.com/Musical-Instrument-Rehab-167262633338121/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser"]Musical Instrument Rehab[/url] decided that given my penchant for flip paint offered up a new coat for my bass. It started off as a bit of an experiment with a different base coat, but it will do a flip paint colour change between a mixture of Pink, Burgundy Mist, Gunmetal Blue and Grey depending on how you spin it in daylight. Like those TVR car paint jobs - although under the studio lights the effect isn't as strong. All other upgrades I did myself. Full set up, new hardware throughout including a Glockenklang 3 Band pre and EMG PJ actives. The Red version is mostly upgraded, but it has a 2 band Glock circuit that I want to change for three at some point.

On the subject of Musical Instrument Rehab, I foresee another paint job happening very soon with a jaw dropping flip paint. Keep your eyes peeled!

Here's an outside pic on my Instagram of the PJBS looking very pink! [url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BIV12I2BldS/?taken-by=danveallbassist"]https://www.instagra...danveallbassist[/url]
[/quote]

For those who don't Instagram:

That's cool - it looks purple on the video. I was typing quickly: I didn't really mean bitsa, but more that it looked like it had been specially configured at least. I must have been half asleep as the body looked more P than J.

You also did a very good review of the ABZ6 - don't tell me you bought one of those too!

I really think the B|Amp is the start of something: I know there's been a kick back against digital (;all analog or it's fake, man! and people who swear they can spot the digital effect from the analog in blind tests), but the sophistication of electronics as applied by people like Bergantino, Source Audio and others means the boundaries for what can be done are limitless.

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1496145378' post='3309079']
That's cool - it looks purple on the video. I was typing quickly: I didn't really mean bitsa, but more that it looked like it had been specially configured at least. I must have been half asleep as the body looked more P than J.

You also did a very good review of the ABZ6 - don't tell me you bought one of those too!

I really think the B|Amp is the start of something: I know there's been a kick back against digital (;all analog or it's fake, man! and people who swear they can spot the digital effect from the analog in blind tests), but the sophistication of electronics as applied by people like Bergantino, Source Audio and others means the boundaries for what can be done are limitless.
[/quote]

It's ok, I took no offence or anything like that :) It certainly has been customised though - and actually you are right, the body is a highly sculpted P bass body. The 'Jazz Bass Special' version doesn't have the extra cutaways, this was reserved for the 'Power' model with active electronics. Really the only Jazz bit is the neck, which I understand, and have no proof, was profiled on a '62 Jazz neck. Certainly wonderfully comfortable and the usual super high quality Japanese workmanship, even now the bass is 30 years old. I guess the inclusion of the J pickup in the bridge position has a bit of a J Bass nod to it.

Thank you! I did my best to run away with the ABZ6. I didn't buy that one but yes I have an AB1 and a Combustion in my fleet. One of the downsides of this job is *having to* (ha) be *forced to* play the very best basses the market has to offer, year after year.. Oh well, someone has to do it I suppose!!

I have to agree with you regarding the B|Amp. It's bridging the gap between PA with DSP and Bass gear. I like that these options are available but you don't have to use them either. There's no doubt that enabling the Speaker Profiles is a noticeable change to the sound and is a function that works and is useful. There's so much more though. There's an adjustable HPF on board, configurable line out, the afore mentioned parametric EQ, wireless foot controller and tuner. There's three different drives available and even the ability to notch the fan up when you are using a 2 Ohm load to provide a bit of extra cooling when it is needed.

Firmware updates future proof the amplifier and via a standard USB stick means it's also very simple to do.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1505983163' post='3375584']
I'm seriously looking at taking a punt on one of these amps but I'm curious what speaker cabs current owners have got it paired with? Obviously it's a good match with Berg cabs but how do others sound?
[/quote]

I've been using mine with a Barefaced BB2 which is a [i]good[/i] configuration, but there is something sweet about being able to enable the onboard profiles fro Bergantino's own cabinets, thus I have a pair of HD112 cabinets that as a stack sound fantastic. Bergantino are the only brand I know of that are using the same sort of technology that top brand PA system manufacturers have been employing to match amplifiers and speakers - and it works. The thing is, [i]any [/i]cabinet will work. You don't have to be bound by 'the brand'. The profiles can be completely bypassed. It's a great sounding amp, even straight in to the PA as a DI box ha ha!!!

I've used the HDn212 and of course the review I did demonstrated the HDN112.

[quote name='PapaShandy' timestamp='1506002204' post='3375799']
I called about one today but apparently Bass Direct aren't doing Bergantino anymore and they sold their last one already. Looks like you'd have to order direct from the US.
[/quote]

Maybe Bergantino will be looking for another UK outlet. They know that the brand gets lots of love here for example.

I called about one today but apparently Bass Direct aren't doing Bergantino anymore and they sold their last one already. Looks like you'd have to order direct from the US.
[/quote]

Hmmm, typical!

[/quote]

They were still showing stock on the BD website so i just gave Mark a call, which ended up in me buying the last one!

Edited by only4