Why become a member? ×

Barefeced Super Twin vs Eich amplification 212M

OldB

Hello

First post here.

I need to upgrade my trusty TC Electronic RS210.I play in a loud 2 guitar, singer and drum band and when I need to push hard and increase amp volume it begins to behave with all the symptoms resulting from a dubious attention to detail in its construction (rattling, booming, cone distorting etc) but due to space and portability i only can consider a 2x12 cab configuration.

I narrowed my search to Eich Amplification 212M or Barefaced Super Twin. Barefaced are for what I've read how red cars are highly valued for the volume they can serve given their dimensions. Didn't find much about Eichs but their high quality construction and overall performance. And both are highly valued for their great efficiency.

As money is a concern I'm leaning more towards Eich Cab, but priorities are:

1. Loud enough to cut through two crancked 50 watts guitar amps and loud drummer. If both meet condition 1:
2. Best suited for classic rock and old school-ish styles.

Should I look elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance for your advices and for all the help given through the forums.

I can't comment on the BF super twin as I've never played through one myself and am yet to hear another player using one.
However, they are very well respected cabs that a lot of guys on here love them. It's also currently (possibly the only) cab on my mental short list of potential replacements for if and when it's time to replace my current cab.

Speaking of which, I have been using a Tecamp M212 for 7 or 8 years now and couldn't be happier with it.
As I understand it, Tecamp are now effectively Eich. I don't know the details of what happened but someone may well be able to fill us in? [size=4]Anyway, the Eich 212M appears to be more or less the same cab as its Tecamp predecessor. The hardware and specs seem to be virtually identical, although mine is 4 ohm and has a steel grill instead of the grill cloth of the Eich.[/size]

So, what do I like about it? It's light, an easy one man lift, lighter than you'd expect considered its size. It's loud, I think the sensitivity is something like 101 db which very good. I've ran it with several different amps and have never needed to push the volume control of each beyond about 10 o'clock even when playing with loud bands. The cab has a huge sound, I've used it without PA support in rooms that will hold around 300 to 400 people and never felt that is was struggling or lacking anything. The projection is superb, even in cramped gigs where it's blasting into my backside all night :blink:[size=4] I can still clearly hear everything that I'm playing. Most importantly, it sounds great too. You can clearly tell different amps and basses apart through it so it's not adding its own tonal colouring to the sound, just putting out what you put in. It'll handle deep lows without farting out and the horn is clean and bright without being noisy or abrasive. Some people claim that neodymium speakers have a pronounced mid range response (or something like that) but that's not the case here. The mids are punchy and clear.[/size]

[size=4]In my experience[/size], it's been brilliant, a perfect single cab solution. Never had any issues with it either!
[size=4]Assuming the Eich is at least as capable as its predecessor, it'll be a very good choice.[/size]

I've never heard of Eich, but I have had a Super Twin for nearly 4 years (I have the first one they made) and use it with an Ashdown ABM 500 head (also a 600 head, bought recently). I have used for well over 100 gigs and the amp has never needed to above 1/3 volume, and we are not a quiet band! It is an excellent cab which looks and sounds as good as the day I collected it from Barefaced.

I have an Eich 212S teamed with their T 900 amp. I used to have a TC450 with TC 210 and 212 cabs.

I used the Eich set up for the first time last week with my band, which is a rock covers band with loud two guitars and a drummer who is a hard hitter. The new set up sounded great, there was no trouble in being heard and there was plenty of reserve power on tap should I ever need it. The other guys in the band thought my bass has never sounded better and I thought so too. Frankly the new set up blew my old TC rig out of the water and I really liked that rig! I would also give a huge thumps up to the amp as well.

I was very pleased with the cab and how it performed. It's an easy lift, very well made and looks great. I would have no hesitatation in recommending Eich but as ever it's always good to try before you buy. I tried a Vanderkley 212 alongside the Eich and I preferred how the Eich sounded and it's a smaller cab.

Great responses guys!!

It seems that the Eich/Tecamp way is the right path for my needs. As for Tecamp/Eich for what i know, Tech Amp is now owned/associated by/with an American company and Tomas Eich started his own business based on the desings he developed at Tecamp. Regarding Tecamp M212 being de same as Eich 212M, the later switched from Neo Magnets to Ceramic in their cabs wich is the standard now in all their desingns. Tomas Eich states that after using Neo Speaker he much prefer Ceramic after new testings he made.

Anyway the consensus seems to be that I will be more than covered if I go for the Eich 212. As for try before buy, I'm located in Madrid and there is no Store that supplies neither of the two brands. So i must buy sight unseen and based on others experiences.

I will pair de cab with a TC BH800 but i have a Mesa D800 under the radar which I can try in a local store.

I've owned a super twin for the last 6 months and couldn't be happier, it's overall power handling combined with ease of transportation makes this cab a real one stop solution for me, perfect for home, rehearsals and gigs.
Soundwise compared with my old MarkBass setup this cab has slightly less topend due to the lack of a tweeter but to be honest its frequency response perfectly matches the Mesa D-800 I'm powering it with.

Now I cant'd decide between Eich 212S and 212M. Size is a concern but it will be a cab for all purposes. Has anyone had a chance to try both? What difference in volume and character do you find between the two?

Dunno about the Eich, but my 300w Walkabout through a Super Twin will happily keep up with two JCM100/412 half-stacked guitards and a monster drummer in a full-on Rawk band without the Master going past ten o'clock...

One thing I do notice, tho you'll probably never crank it that hard, is the Eichs are 600w RMS handling, and you're looking at an 800w Subway...as I say, you'll probably never drive them hard enough for that to be an issue...