Why become a member? ×

music theory books

Hi BC

I'm in the process of practicing for ABRSM singing grades and I've realised I've forgotten soooo much of my music theory from decades ago.

I've dug out my matt red ABRSM 'Rudiments and Theory of Music' book to revise the facts and I've purchased a few past papers. Also ldone a few on - line music theory tests on websites.

I've read mixed opinions on The Musician's Guide to Theory and Analysis. Are the books worth getting in BC's opinion ? there seems to be the workbook and a more expensive version with audiology analysis. How many books are there in the series ?

Are there any other books worth buying ?

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1496132596' post='3308923']
Chuck Sher's The Improvisor's Bass Method is a fantastic resource for necessary theory for bassists. It has sections including rhythm, chord tones, scales, bassline construction and styles, soloing etc etc. In addition, the book has a great introduction to basic Harmony which outlines common chord progressions and how they work. It's also a great book to use to learn to read notation or brush up on it - but also contains fretboard diagrams.
[/quote]

I would like to second this, excellent stuff.

:)

• 3 weeks later...