Why become a member? ×

Nightmare gig!

Chopthebass

For the first time ever I played a gig and was being told my people out front (including some musicians) that I was way too loud. But when I turned down to a level that sounded good to them, I couldn't hear myself. WTF. Crappy room acoustics? I don' like in-ears, but thinking I may need to send some bass to my ears and trust others to set my amp volume. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Here was my setup that night -

GK 1001 head
GK 410RBH and GK 115RBH cabs.
Fender Elite 5/Stingray 5

Edited by Chopthebass

It's the way of the bass sometimes, it does vary from venue to venue and depends on a number of factors, bodies in the room, furnishings, surfaces etc. You need to take note of the comments though, particularly if they are from people whose judgement you trust. :)

[quote name='Chopthebass' timestamp='1496070973' post='3308520']
I remember having a better experience at this venue with my two Jack 12's[/quote]Probably because the Jacks are much more sensitive in the lower mids than commercial cabs, and those lower mid frequencies are above the band width where null zones occur..

[quote]My GK cabs are the wedge shaped ones, so if I angle them will the crowd still hear them ?
[/quote]They'll hear the lows that you don't. The mids and highs, maybe not, especially as they have rather poor dispersion in the mids and highs to begin with.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice