Why become a member? ×

Hartke HK-TX600 Dilema - Keep or Swap For LH500

DBerriff

I have bought a TX600 as a spare & practice amp. It all looked great on paper, and it would be if it wasn't for the baked-in Shape "scoop". One user review stated that it was impossible to get a bad sound out of this head, thus convincing me that the review was made up ( not on this forum, though! ).

Try this: Bass and Treble at 12 o'clock; Shape and Frequency fully counter-clockwise: instant transistor radio.

Turn the Shape fully clockwise and some of the bass energy returns. As you turn the frequency clockwise the "scoop" moves up the frequency range until it does least harm. I have been using a Barefaced One 10 which does not have a tweeter so I don't miss the loss of a bit of HF.

Set Bass, Shape, Frequency and Treble at 12 o'clock and you have a big suck-out in the mids which might be why so many reviewers comment on the lack of power from this head. Somewhat counter-intuitively you have to turn Shape fully clockwise to minimise the loss.

The gain controls are a bit unusual in their response curves, as is the compressor. Generally, not a lot happens until you hit around 75% on the scale.

The good points are the price, hopefully the build quality, and the reasonable weight. It has a mute switch. It also has a Speakon connector.

Given that this is a spare / home use only head, I ask you Hartke experts out there: should I just perservere with the TX600 or ask PMT to exchange it for the bigger and heavier LH500?

Get rid......
Your never going to get on with it by the sounds of things so move it on whilst you can.

The LH500 is a great amp - fat, warm and clean - but remember it has a Fender style tone stack so will sound odd with settings at 12 o'clock. Flat is with the mids cranked right up and the bass backed off i seem to remember.

Or what about the HA3500C they have for a few quid more?

Edited by Mudpup

Used to have a Hartke LH1000, loved it, got really excited about the TX600, but it is a bit of a let down power etc. Wise despite portability, I think they just tried to be too cheap I am afraid.

If you want a big sound, get rid, if you want a portable anaemia sound keep

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1496075428' post='3308576']
Get rid......
Your never going to get on with it by the sounds of things so move it on whilst you can.

The LH500 is a great amp - fat, warm and clean - but remember it has a Fender style tone stack so will sound odd with settings at 12 o'clock. Flat is with the mids cranked right up and the bass backed off i seem to remember.

Or what about the HA3500C they have for a few quid more?
[/quote]

The HA3500C is a good option now I have read through the manual. It has the all the power I need and the EQ makes sense to me. I will see what I can sort out with PMT.

I suspect "portable anaemia" is a bit harsh. The smiley-face EQ works for some players and gives them the sound they are looking for; it is just not for me. For all I know, with the right cabs the TX600 really can pump out 600 W at the low end, but just not where the "scoop" centre frequency is set.

I finally got to play one of these a few weeks ago. It's just awful. Almost comedically crap. My friend returned it which is no surprise.

This amp represents the decline that Hartke have been in for ten years. I never liked the LH series as well as the kilo as there was no "flat" setting. I like to sculpt my tone and you can't do that with them.

They should have taken the pre-amp from the HA series and bang it in a 1000w class D power section. Job done. But no, they're just screwing everything up. This insanity makes Trace Elliot look well managed.

PMT has been 100% helpful and after considering the advice I have had I am going to swap for an HA2500. This has enough power for what I need and at the current price I can put up with the large box.

Time to get the soldering iron out and make up a jack-to-Speakon cable.