Why become a member? ×

Markbass Cab help

Lexii

Hi guys, new to the forum and after some help, I've searched but can't find the answer.
Currently for gigs running a markbass little mark ii into 2 Ampeg cabs, a 4x10 and a 1x15. However lugging these cabs is back breaking and as such means I have a practice amp aswell. Also taking a ton of room in my house.
Have decided the markbass cabs are the way forward but need opinions / help on which way to go. The idea is to still have 2 cabs but as they are light I can ditch the practice amp and use 1 cab and the head for rehearsal.
Initially I decided get the stand 1x 15 and pair it with 2x10hf for gigs or just use the 2x10 for practice.
The other option I thought is to get the 4x10 and pair it with the 1x15 traveler for gigs and just use the 1x15 for practice.

I keep getting my self lost with it all, I'm told I need the 1x15 to keep the bottom end strong but don't know which way to match it all up.

Any advice would be great.
Thnks

I have on occasion lost the sound on stage too, this is why I wanted to keep some variation of 10s so I get some kind of cut through on stage. I also considered two markbass 2x10hf cabs but worried I'd lose bottom end.

[quote name='Lexii' timestamp='1496078245' post='3308612']I keep getting my self lost with it all, I'm told I need the 1x15 to keep the bottom end strong but don't know which way to match it all up.[/quote]

Who by?

Decide which of the Markbass cabs you like the best then buy two of those.

Are you open to other brands? Barefaced stuff usually gets recommended whenever weight is an option. Or if you like the GK cabs you have now then why not look at something like two GK 1x12s or 2x10s?

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1496080149' post='3308633']

Who by?

Decide which of the Markbass cabs you like the best then buy two of those.

Are you open to other brands? Barefaced stuff usually gets recommended whenever weight is an option. Or if you like the GK cabs you have now then why not look at something like two GK 1x12s or 2x10s?
[/quote]

Local guitar store advised on low end loss with smaller speakers. Anyone with experience on the 2x10hf? No one round here has them to try. The barefaced stuff is similar weight but seems more money and less available secondhand

[quote name='Lexii' timestamp='1496081451' post='3308652']
Local guitar store advised on low end loss with smaller speakers. Anyone with experience on the 2x10hf? No one round here has them to try. The barefaced stuff is similar weight but seems more money and less available secondhand
[/quote]

Have a read on the Barefaced website for lots of useful information which will help your decision process.

http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/speaker-size-frequency-response.htm

The shops advice regarding speaker sizes is unfortunately misleading - at best.

I can't imagine a situation where a pair of Markbass 2 x 10s wouldn't easily do the job. They are excellent cabs. I had a pair of the Traveller 2 x 10 cabs and while the larger 2 x 10s are superior, the little Traveller cabs are surprisingly good.

Frank.

I had a Markbass 210hf (early double ported version) and it had almost too much low end. I used to pair mine with a Traveller 210 and that was great for big gigs. Neither cab was a perfect one cab solution for me though.
I'd imagine the current 210hf with the single port would be better balanced as a single option and 2 would be even better.

[quote name='Lexii' timestamp='1496081451' post='3308652']
Local guitar store advised on low end loss with smaller speakers.
[/quote]

You'd expect a shop to understand this stuff, they should know better. Simple experiment, can you hear low frequencies with headphones? Yes? Then why should a smaller speaker produce less bass in a bass cab?

I use 2 of the traveller 210s and there is plenty even on big stages. The HFs do go a bit lower but I've found I have bucket loads of low end.

Needing a 15 for the lows is false information. Get the same size drivers so you can tune your rig to venue without having the worry of choosing which cone size is reacting well/ badly.

Yep, keep to the same size speakers. 210/115 or 410/115 rigs often sound great, but your sound is made up of the sound of two (most likely) differently voiced cabs, remove either and you have to re-eq.

Edited by Lozz196

Will echo previous statements.

Buy two of the same cab that you like. You will then have a practice/rehearsal rig you like, and then the same sound but louder for gigs.

Personally I really liked having two 2x10(the traveller ones) I found it fantastic stacked vertically, so it was as tall as a 8x10 but horizontal dispersal was better, and thus clearer.

Less speakers will give you an overall clearer sound, so two 1x15s will be clearer and probably just as loud as two 2x10s.

In short, try some cabs buy two of the one you like.