Why become a member? ×

Big day for Propellerhead Reason users!

Skol303

So yesterday the new version of Reason was launched (free update) and we now have ability to run third party VSTs!

Not a big deal for other DAWs, which have been hosting VSTs for years... but a [size=5]BIG[/size] change for Reason, which has used only its own exclusive plug-in format - Rack Extensions - until now.

Having tested the living daylights out of it yesterday, I can happily say that the integration is just [i]perfect. [/i]It's limited to 64-bit VSTs, but the way they integrate is like nothing I've seen in other DAWs. In a nutshell, each VST loads into a sort of 'rack unit': an interface that links the VST into Reason - but includes the software's famous audio and CV ([url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/gate"]control voltage[/url]) routing emulations , which creates loads of new possibilities for how various plug-ins can be connected together and used. Perhaps not revolutionary if you like to just open up presets (and nothing wrong with that), but for people like me who enjoy messing with stuff it's simply amazing.

For me, this update pretty much makes Ableton and Reaper redundant - I've been ReWiring into these DAWs from Reason to access VSTs - as I can now do everything in my workflow under one roof. In fact I can do a lot more.

And as far as I can tell, the integration is super stable (one of the big concerns from the Reason community was how third party VSTs would mess with Reason's famous crash-proofing). I've pushed it as far as my old 2010 iMac can handle and so far zero crashes... and to date I've [i]never[/i] had a crash with Reason in all the years I've been using it. Not one. So the dev seem to have done good on their promise of numerous failsafes.

If you run Reason, you need this update. If you don't run Reason, you need Reason ;)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1496148574' post='3309119']If you don't run Reason, you need Reason ;)
[/quote]

I'll consider this once I've worked out what Reason can do for me that Reaper can't, and I have €369 spare. That may well not be next week. :mellow:

I haven't used Reason since version 2 (I got the first version as soon as it came out way back in 99? 98? something like that, and I used it for years, it ran flawlessly on one of those garish plastic iMacs), but I know that this is what we all wanted back then. It's always been the best DAW for electronic music, especially for people who used to work on outboard stuff, it's the only one that doesn't feel like a chore to use. There's something really laborious about the way most DAWs are laid out, they kill the creative process, and Reason does the opposite. I'm sure this is going to win over a lot of Logic / Cubase etc users. Makes me want to dig out my old sample collection and start making beats again..

Go for it guys... download the demo version and try it for yourselves.

I think it allows you to save but not open projects, or something like that.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1496159055' post='3309210']
...it's the only one that doesn't feel like a chore to use. There's something really laborious about the way most DAWs are laid out, they kill the creative process, and Reason does the opposite.
[/quote]

That's exactly why it's my DAW of choice. All DAWs are useful, functional, etc... but few are actually fun. Reason is fun :)

Edited by Skol303

Great update for Reason, although the VST addition is only for VST 2.4.
VST 3 is the current version, supporting Multiple Midi ports, suspension of FX and Instruments when no signal is passing through etc....
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologies/vst3.html

I am curious why they didn't use version 3 (all/most other DAWs are) rather than the older 2.4. Maybe coming in a future update?
Even so, opens things up for Reason users and the big Sample libraries out there, along with some of the excellent Synths etc...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1496174636' post='3309386']
I am curious why they didn't use version 3 (all/most other DAWs are) rather than the older 2.4. Maybe coming in a future update?
[/quote]

Yep exactly that. Devs have said this is "just the start" - the new update is only recently out of Beta testing - and they'll be updating to VST 3 in due course. My guess is during the next paid-for update.

Trouble is I now have GAS for a bunch of plug-ins that I'd never previously considered. Swings and roundabouts ;)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496155515' post='3309184']
I'll consider this once I've worked out what Reason can do for me that Reaper can't, and I have €369 spare. That may well not be next week. :mellow:
[/quote]

I must confess I'm also in this boat now, I used to swear by Reason but once I discovered Reaper I just haven't really used it. Sometimes use ReWire to use it as a plugin for Reaper but that's only when I know that I have an old sample in Reason that I want to use on a track and can't be bothered to find a VST version of it.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Reason and I used to be a very heavy Reason user but I guess I just fell out of love with it when I realised that Reaper opened up so many more functions.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496155515' post='3309184']
[/quote]

what he said :)

but glad your DAW caught up with all the others :)

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1496922667' post='3314701']
I really like Reason and I used to be a very heavy Reason user but I guess I just fell out of love with it when I realised that Reaper opened up so many more functions.
[/quote]

It'll all personal preference and picking whichever best suits your workflow, of course. You can achieve the same results with any DAW.

I've used SoundTracker (!), Cubase, Logic, Reaper, Ableton and Reason. Of those, Reason just suits my needs the most. It enables me to get into the creative process of making music the quickest; and it's the most fun to use: it always feels like 'play' and never like 'work'.

Of the others I really love Ableton (for similar reasons) and have a soft spot for Cubase, because it's what enabled me to first start making music proper.

Ultimately, it's like asking which flavour of ice cream is best? I'm not going to turn my nose up at any... but would always prefer custard, given the option :)