Why become a member? ×

Wrong Key

mr zed

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1496219319' post='3309576']
Being in several bands, I've had those moments too - where you start playing a song with one band, and realise you're playing it in a key you play with a different band! Also started the wrong song once or twice too :o

We've all done it mate - you are not alone, so don't worry lol
[/quote]

This is why our set list reads Johnny Bb Goode!

Started Stray Cat Strut on the F not the C once. Boy did the guitarist sound stupid when he brought the band in with his bit in the correct key, I realised what had happened and corrected it and just looked askance at him :lol:

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1496217261' post='3309557']
Hohner B2 cricket bats were always my nemesis. No so much now I am more used to them - they are just so handy to carry around as a back up so I persevered. At first, 2 octave scale plus no head meant that my subconscious mental map of note positions was all over the place. Always seemed something of a lottery which notes I would actually be playing as my hand never seemed in the right spot. :)
[/quote]

Yep, I had one of these as an easy carry-around practice bass and flogged it for just this reason. Most things I needed to practice on the road involved reading which further exacerbated the problem.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1496206712' post='3309497']
I heard that they'd gone out on tour without a keyboard player and all the keys were on a sequencer. I don't know if there was a power failure or what, but somehow the sequencer reset itself to the wrong sample rate (i.e. 'in the cracks' tuningwise). Being as the entire intro is on keys and they were less than a semitone out of tune, no one noticed until the band kicked in, by which time it was too late. You could hardly stop the song and start again on what was probably the last encore.
I can only presume that Dave Lee Roth had mostly keys in his in-ears as he seems relatively unphased.
Poor old EVH's deperate efforts during the solo make my teeth itch. I feel sorry for the bloke, although I'm sure that after the gig they had a few beers and a laugh over it.......... perhaps after sacking the sequencer tech? ��
[/quote]

I think it's just a case of the Guitar being out of tune (for what ever reason). It's not in concert pitch.
The Keyboards are in tune at C# (for some reason a semi tone up from the studio recording).
The giveaway for me, is the Bass is pumping out C# Quavers along with the Keys. So C# must have been the key decided before hand.
But knows or cares...?
It's a very, very funny clip. :D

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1496230247' post='3309700']
I think it's just a case of the Guitar being out of tune (for what ever reason). It's not in concert pitch.
The Keyboards are in tune at C# (for some reason a semi tone up from the studio recording).
The giveaway for me, is the Bass is pumping out C# Quavers along with the Keys. So C# must have been the key decided before hand.
But knows or cares...?
It's a very, very funny clip. :D
[/quote]

I was intrigued by the comments on the YouTube video so I grabbed my bass and yeah, the keys are playing C# but Eddie's guitar isn't playing a C even if he was meant to be a semi-tone out by accident. So I agree, something was up with the EVH machines that night. Strangely odd that the choice was made to play the song up a semi-tone anyway, but sometimes that can be an easy choice if a song before or after is in a similar guitar tuning. I've no idea if that case meant to be the case here.

Bit cringey throughout, though I think DLR smashing himself in the face with his chrome pole live on US TV is probably up there with memorable VH performances.

That's why I love playing jazz. Start a solo in the wrong key? Hey, it's jazz man! :gas:

Seriously though I've been there more times than I care to remember. It's a horrible feeling but sometimes you just need to have a word with yourself and move on. Chances are most average audiences won't even notice as long as you manage to correct your mistake quickly.

I had one experience we're we were opening the second set with Stevie's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" but last minute the singer wanted to do it in a different key because they weren't feeling well, fair enough.

Got to the intro, 1-2-3-4....... total mental block, I played a string of 6 completely wrong notes having tried to correct myself on each beat in the bar and just making it worse! I managed to correct myself when the guitarist turned and shouted "It's in G you *&%^£!" We laugh about it now but at the time I wanted to fall through a hole in the stage and hide until the gig was over!

I played half a dozen numbers with my wedding band, all easy rock&roll/12-bar stuff. We'd rehearsed All Shook Up in Bb (as recorded) then at the last minute changed it to A to help the singer/lead guitarist.

Having recently got married and all that, I totally forgot. Luckily everyone was trousered by this point (the main course was delayed 90 minutes, so everyone was drinking the plonk on an empty stomach) so it didn't really matter. Except to the singer, the other guitarist, the drummer (yes!) who all glared/laughed at me.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1496163331' post='3309268']
Started a song at a gig last weekend in the wrong key. This is a song we've been playing for ages and it starts on an F sharp. Started it in F. What a knob!
[/quote]

Just adding a bit of tension to the chord before resolving it, therefore surely intentional?

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1496317140' post='3310424']
The best way to cover any mistake is to look disapprovingly at a random band mate and hey presto, the audience thinks they are the one who messed up. Works every time!
[/quote]

had a lead guitarist once who would not just glare at somebody else but go into a a complete rant at them in between songs and off stage after the gig whenever he made a mistake, sometimes even the following week at rehearsals after one of his mates had given him some poor feedback about the gig - no matter what he did wrong it was always somebody else's fault. One day he chose the wrong band member to pick on, being the drummer in both the bands that he was in at the time, who responded by telling him not to bother coming to any more rehearsals for either bands because he was sacked.

Edited by Monkey Steve

Once had a singer start singing the wrong song. The crazy thing was that such was his mental block, he knew he was wrong but couldn't stop - he managed most of the first verse before the rest of us stopped playing.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1496321784' post='3310481']had a lead guitarist once who would not just glare at somebody else but go into a a complete rant at them in between songs and off stage after the gig whenever he made a mistake, sometimes even the following week at rehearsals after one of his mates had given him some poor feedback about the gig - no matter what he did wrong it was always somebody else's fault. One day he chose the wrong band member to pick on, being the drummer in both the bands that he was in at the time, who responded by telling him not to bother coming to any more rehearsals for either bands because he was sacked.[/quote]

A glare is cheeky but that takes it too far. Serves him right.

I 0nce had a string tuned a semi tone out. Mates in The crowd were telling me this but I blamed it on others because my tuner was saying I was fine. After a few songs I then realised there was a wee dot next to the D on the runer which means D#. I still get shivers thinking about That! Such a daft mistake

Edited by Elfrasho

Did that once on a musical I was subbing at, only no d-tuner on the house instrument. You were required to detune and retune before and after the song in question and I had forgotten to retune. Fortunately the following song was fairly straightforward, so just a short mindbend for one song.

Edited by SICbass

ooh yeah, being out of tune as opposed to in the wrong key is really painful, and you can see you're playing the correct note so clearly somebody else in the band is out of tune...

As explored on another recent thread, fear of this is why I'm on the side of obsessively tuning up between songs...possibly brought into focus by a guitarist in one of my first ever bands when we were teenagers who was possibly some kind of tone deaf - he couldn't hear when his guitar was out of tune even when chords were completely and unintentionally discordant, but thought it was "sad" that people used electronic tuners rather than tuning up by ear, and having tuned up before a gig felt that he had done his job and thus no further tuning was required for the rest of the night.

Yep and have the video to prove it. Busted on video starting an age old classic in the wrong key at a school fete last year. Probably because we were all hung over and looking to get through as quickly as possible so we could go set up for a wedding. That's my excuse anyway.

https://youtu.be/kfu7yEAovTs

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1496327850' post='3310569']
It is a bit though, isn't it?! Best way is that everyone shares a giggle and gets on with it within a beat or two. Don't try and hide it, make it a bit of fun that the audience are in on.[/quote]

To be fair, I don't make (too) many mistakes and we all do it to each other. I think there's a difference between being nasty and being a bit silly. If my comment was *that* serious I wouldn't have been playing with the same guys for over 8 years.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1496219319' post='3309576']
Being in several bands, I've had those moments too - where you start playing a song with one band, and realise you're playing it in a key you play with a different band! Also started the wrong song once or twice too :o

We've all done it mate - you are not alone, so don't worry lol
[/quote]

Ha, I have this! It's often only half a step either way too.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1496315785' post='3310412']

Just adding a bit of tension to the chord before resolving it, therefore surely intentional?
[/quote]

Oohh....well played sir! I like that explanation. Unfortunately I was adding tension for the whole of the first verse!

If a singer starts in the wrong key, the band should go with him/her. The end result is what counts. Related to this, what are peoples' views on the "right/wrong" key in which to play a song? I've known some insist it has to be as the original. Surely the singer's ability/range has to be the deciding factor. Yet I've encountered people who don't feel this way. In the last band I played in, the guitarist made a big fuss because our singer wanted to sing Grapevine in B (the original is in Eb, but our singer's voice is considerably lower than Marvin's was). Seems mad to try to force someone to struggle with and mess up a song, rather than pitch it where it is most comfortable for them.

In my 1st ever band, playing covers in working mens clubs at 18 years old, I took a set of new RS 66 strings to a gig and put them on my Rickenfaker in the dressing room omitting to stretch them a few times as I didnt know you had to. We tuned to the Fender Rhodes piano (this was 1977) and did a little soundcheck. My shiny new strings sounded awesome and I thought I was Chris Squire! Come the opening song, Peter Framptons "show me the way" every string was exactly a semitone flat. The escape was to play the full song 1 fret up. For the rest of the 1st set (20 mins) I had to retune after every song and try not to whack the strings too hard.
How many people on first using a 5 string have gone to smack out the big note on the E string but find out too late that someone put a bigger thicker rope of a string in the way, and what should have been a big fat G is now a bigger fatter D.