Why become a member? ×

New Billy Bragg book.

grandad

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1496174514' post='3309383']
I like BB - wrote some great tracks which don't get the recognition they deserve.
[/quote]
+1 Presently trying to persuade our band to run with a punked up version of which side are you on, it's a cracking song.

Heard a bit of him chatting about this book on the radio. I'll probably buy a copy in a month or 2, as I'm still reading through Xmas books, and bargains picked up a couple of months back when I visited Hay On Wye. I'm a slow reader! lol

I've always liked Billy as a person, and as a musician and songwriter. As you say, TheGreek - he's one that doesn't get the recognition he truly deserves. I recently read his biography which was very good. A few years back, I read his book "The Progressive Patriot" which is an absolutely brilliant book - I'd highly recommend it as a read. It's very thought provoking, superbly researched, well argued, and well written.

On top of all that, I've met him a couple of times, and he's a genuine bloke and a principled man who has done some great community spirited work too..... I'm sure this will be a good read, so I'll be getting my copy in the not too distant future :)

In my opinion BB is the best British lyricist of the 80s. Most people dismissed his music as left wing protest stuff, and I never liked his politics that much, but as an angst filled adolescent/young adult his stuff really hit home. He definitely doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

In the end it took me a dictionary
To find out the meaning of unrequited
While she was giving herself for free
At a party to which I was never invited

I probably wont bother with his book though.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1496170642' post='3309341']
Looks like a good read.

[url="https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/culture/books-roots-radicals-and-rockers-how-skiffle-changed-the-world-by-billy-bragg-f3vvwm9cn"]https://www.thetimes...bragg-f3vvwm9cn[/url]
[/quote]

Probably but the website teaser put me right off.

I like Billy Bragg. I especially liked his duet with the late Kirsty McColl on her cover of his song New England. Both had an indefinable edge to their singing that made you want to listen.

You can keep the book though.

It was Billy Bragg who made me first pick up a guitar and learn some chords, when I was 14.

Nice guy too, I did some business with his partner Juliet a few years ago and visited their house in Dorset I met Billy but I didn't talk much to him, I didn't want to come over as a fan I suppose. I later regretted not telling him how much he'd inspired me as a kid though, kicked myself.

Might have a butchers at this; I don't much care for Mr Bragg's politics, but his songs are bloody epic.

I really enjoyed his recent 'journey' with Joe Henry, we saw them play a church in Brighton and it was a good night out.

Can't help thinking Corbyn might be outed as Billy's long-lost father.