Why become a member? ×

Bass amp & Cab. Not too expensive or heavy. What do you suggest?

Rocker

For occasional gigs, my MB Minimark is a bit lightweight volume wise but great sound nonetheless. Could you suggest an amp plus cab that sounds similar to the MB but goes a fair bit louder. 4*12 cabs are fairly cheap - would one give me the sound I need? Powered by a class D bass amp? All suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Budget: a couple of hundred Euro. Give or take. Markbass might be on the expensive side.

There are quite a number of 4*12s in music shops fairly close to me. These are probably old guitar speakers, would they work for bass? Weight is relative, a 4*12 is heavy but on castors it can be moved. The amp head itself is the problem unless it is a Class D job.

Anyway if I cannot buy what I need, I might be able to hire, borrow or steal a rig for the day :)

There are few 4x12's made for bass. It is a very popular format for guitar cabs but not for bass. Virtually all 4x12's you see around will be guitar cabs and you will easily kill them with loud bass guitar frequencies.

4x10 is the more popular bass cab format. And yes, you can pick up older, heavier 4x10's pretty cheap, certainly within your 200 Euro budget. Your Minimark plus an 8 ohm 4x10 extension cab should really be pretty loud, and that is what I would suggest aiming for.

I really doubt you will be able to buy an appropriate amp & cab for 200 Euros

You can pick up an Ashdown MAG amp & 410 for about £250, so around 300 EUR. The cabs are about 30kg-ish. OK, not particularly light but I`ve got a bad back and can cart about an Ashdown ABM410 (with some nice castors to help me).