Why become a member? ×

CITES rosewood price increases?

fretmeister

I'll be honest, I can't see the prices going down.

I hated it when I worked in a shop and fender/Yamaha/Gibson implemented a price hike and a guitar which was £499 yesterday then had £539 on it the next.

I understood the "it affects orders etc" line. It just didn't sit well with me - actually got in trouble for selling at the "yesterday" price a few times.

If I'd worked in an independent shop I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered.

Fender etc will save money by reducing colour options and reducing models/ranges - but that won't get passed on to the shops nor customers...and the prices will creep.

That will be down to the increased paperwork and administration related to the importing and exporting of Rosewood. I know even without any CITES woods in an instrument my paper work to send anywhere outside the EU has gone up considerable.

Edited by skelf

i recently tried to buy a Bass on eBay from the USA with a rosewood board. Although it was offered under the 'no extra charges' deal they do, when I pressed the butto,n eBay blocked the sale.
i contacted the shop in the US who were not aware of CITES and I sent them a link to the website. Apparently regular sellers can register for $200 and send stuff fairly easily, one off sales cost $75 and are subject to an 8 week delay. The Seller did not want to get involved so I found another Bass in Germany, but not my choice of colour...

Lakland prices have gone up nearly 50% in the last few years on GuitarGuitar. I wonder if this more recent change could be to blame

Now at £1450 for a 44-02, I remember them being £1250 a few weeks ago and under £1k a couple of years back.