Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of a Sandberg please

Westenra

There used to be a decent guitar store in Reading that stocked Sandbergs (or more to the point, they had Sandbergs in there). I played a few and they played and sounded great, but visually (and here's the kicker), that headstock is a dog. Every time I see a Sandberg I'm always draw to the damned headstock.

Incidentally, I have a mate who is a Sandberg endorsee. He's recently been taken to converting his basses to two strings (E & A); removing the E & G machines and stringing them in the A & D positions. He sounds immense even though he barely comes up to my shoulder.

Whoa wasn't expecting such love for the Bergs! Could the VM emulate that jazz bridge solo'd sound? I'd personally like to have a "Swiss army knife" bass where it can be super modern, then with a twist, probably into passive mode, have a old school P sound and a solo'd jazz one too.

What kind of amps are people playing them through? Caving into the Aguilar TH350 pressure!

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1496324250' post='3310511']
DEFINITELY not TT pups

I even messaged Sandberg direct and they said Split pick up neck and M pick up bridge.

Some web reviews say the split is at the bridge, this is wrong.

So it's probably a VM either that or an MM

If anyone out there has one, please take off the covers and share?!

Mark at classic and cool guitars in Devon has one for sale now and has a few popped through his shop so he may well be able to confirm or deny
[/quote]

Email Sandberg and ask, they were pretty responsive when I asked for the build details on my VM5...

OK I'll buck the trend a little here -

Great basses no doubt, I had a VM5 for a while and the build quality was right up there with anything I've played.

The only thing for me was that it sounded a little too 'polite' for my taste. After years of playing nothing but growly Fenders, I just found it a little too clean, almost sterile sounding.

Mind you, it could have been the fact I was playing it through a Tecamp Puma and BF super compacts (all very transparent).....

Lewis, you a guy who knows his stuff, but i agree the set up is really clear esp the tecamp and if you had Delano's there is your answer.

Delano's prob better live as they are clearer and a little hotter, Sandberg pups more vintage

Universally whether people liked the sound or not, NO ONE doubts build quality

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1496328542' post='3310583']
Whoa wasn't expecting such love for the Bergs! Could the VM emulate that jazz bridge solo'd sound? I'd personally like to have a "Swiss army knife" bass where it can be super modern, then with a twist, probably into passive mode, have a old school P sound and a solo'd jazz one too.

What kind of amps are people playing them through? Caving into the Aguilar TH350 pressure!
[/quote]

Depends on what kind of jazz sound you want?

The neck pup on the Jazz gets close to a P sound and the tone roll off is very responsive.

The Jazz sound is lovely.

A TT Jazz will give you this with a more modern twist as the bridge pup is closer to the neck, again delano's more hifi, sandberg or Haussel pups more warm and vintage.

The TSBS is a string through and the pups are slightly in between, not a huge difference IMO, and I don't like the yellow.

MarloweDK has a slimmer neck than other TT's, different ageing pattern to the body and the bridge pup is closer to the bridge giving it a more 70s Barky feel when dialled in.

The way to see a VM is like a P bass but with more clarity for pushing through in a live setting, you may not get the satisfaction you want from the M bucker alone.

Fully passive or active and passive is purely your choice.
I have a lot of pre-amp pedal push so purely passive is good for me.

To me they do some of the best ageing, if you like that.

As Cilla would say, the decision is yours...

Oh and I use a Two Notes Le Bass and or a Hartke VXL, Cali76G compressor into a Darkglass amp.

Also played it through a Hartke LH1000, and a PJB Bass Bass CUB

All sound great.

I am not an Aggie man, but would never disuade someone if that is what your ears are calling you to

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1496345171' post='3310769']
I'll talk you out of a Sandberg.

The headstock is too big and ungainly. And those oversized single magnet slugs on the Fender -style pickups don't look right.

And I don't like the name either.
[/quote]

Standard pick ups, you can choose large pole vs small pole and 2 Per string depending on your preference in how magnets pick up string vibrations as well as your Alnico generation.

Other than that valid cosmetic points Dali vs Picasso vs Rembrandt etc

Oh you also forgot to add how the generation II Californias have different sleeker shapes, lighter bodies and are more ergonomically sculptured than the Fenders and are beautifully balanced so it takes away from the mystique of back pain, being a stronger person By wielding a heavier bass....

You cannot seriously want something as ugly as this, can you? And we all know German engineering leaves much to be desired. Nah, look elsewhere

[url="https://flic.kr/p/T9ijYN"][/url][url="https://flic.kr/p/T9ijYN"]Sandberg California II VT4[/url] by [url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/berriff/"]David Jones[/url], on Flickr

[size=2]Just leave them to us in the know. :) So good I have ordered a fretless to match. [/size]

[size=3]I will agree the Delano pickups are a bit polite but there are other options.[/size]

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496325010' post='3310531']
Incidentally, I have a mate who is a Sandberg endorsee. He's recently been taken to converting his basses to two strings (E & A); removing the E & G machines and stringing them in the A & D positions.
[/quote]

Your mate should just get the Sandberg 2-string bass then surely!

http://youtu.be/P3iCeBAmmbo

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1496331704' post='3310620']
Depends on what kind of jazz sound you want?

The neck pup on the Jazz gets close to a P sound and the tone roll off is very responsive.

The Jazz sound is lovely.

A TT Jazz will give you this with a more modern twist as the bridge pup is closer to the neck, again delano's more hifi, sandberg or Haussel pups more warm and vintage.

The TSBS is a string through and the pups are slightly in between, not a huge difference IMO, and I don't like the yellow.

MarloweDK has a slimmer neck than other TT's, different ageing pattern to the body and the bridge pup is closer to the bridge giving it a more 70s Barky feel when dialled in.

The way to see a VM is like a P bass but with more clarity for pushing through in a live setting, you may not get the satisfaction you want from the M bucker alone.

Fully passive or active and passive is purely your choice.
I have a lot of pre-amp pedal push so purely passive is good for me.

To me they do some of the best ageing, if you like that.

As Cilla would say, the decision is yours...
[/quote]

My Cali II TT was the passive version with V/B/T and Sandberg pickups. Although very nice sounding I've swapped the electronics for some Hot Rod JB-74s and a Kiogon V/V/T harness. Sounds immense and really nice in the mix.

Mandatory pic:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:236844]

Plus a couple of the VS (custom colour Dakota Red):

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:246118] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:246117]

The Sandberg costs less in the UK. You will have to wait a few months for a bespoke build but you can also specify the configuration and finish you want.

I put the photo up because someone (the OP?) mentioned wanting active, passive, P and J sounds in a single bass. The VT4 has all that. The Delano pickups are, as I have said, a bit polite but I presume Sandberg or other p'ups could be fitted instead. It suits my gigging requirements perfectly now I have moved back to 4 strings.

P.S. with Sandberg you get the 4-dot logo. I personally think it is a classy touch, so simple yet so distinctive.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1496385525' post='3310912']
The Sandberg costs less in the UK. You will have to wait a few months for a bespoke build but you can also specify the configuration and finish you want.
[/quote]

I ordered mine via Classic & Cool, got a good price and the bass arrived around 6-7 weeks earlier than promised at the time of the order. Gotta love that.

Yep Agreed with the above

Mark is a good guy at classic and cool, dealt with him in the past, he has a few in stock, but if you are going bespoke depending on what you want it can be up to 9 months.
Main reason for this is if you get the full masterpiece treatment, they don't have many people (maybe only 1) doing the ageing as they are so precise about it

I doubt I could afford a full on brand new California so just sticking to the second hand market for now. All them photos are making me want to sell all my gear though and invest! Might have to take a trip somewhere and try one out in person, hopefully there's no more GAS when I have one in my hands!

Hi Hiram,

I am fully prepared to be wrong, I am not sure it was the lacquer or something else they were using, but when I went to the bass show I was full of excitement to try a Caprice and Cutlass, but the ones on display were awful, even the Ray, The Albert Lee was great.

Really disappointed as older Ray's I have tried seemed better and it's not just because they were worn in

Still both sets are fine basses