Why become a member? ×

Lakland JO4/JO5/44-60/55-60 Wiring and/or help with jazz issue

P-T-P

Can anyone post a pic of the wiring on their passive Lakland JO4/JO5/44-60/55-60?

Ideally one with Lakand pick-ups (red and black wire and green and black wire).

Recently picked up a 55-60 which had replacement pick-ups and pre-amp installed. Have put the originals back in along with the original controls that came with the bass but having a weird issue with output. I've fitted passive jazz electronics before. I'm no expert with the soldering iron but get the job done okay. It's wired as per this diagram https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/image-jpg.682224/

Best if I describe states and what I'm hearing...

Neck Vol Full Up - Sound as expected, tone behaves fine
Bridge Vol Full Up - Sound as expected, tone behaves fine
Both Vol Full Up - Sound pretty much as expected, tone behaves fine. Slight volume dip (normal for single coils when both on)
Neck Vol Half Way, Brige Vol Off - As expected. Turning up bridge volume brings in gradually more top end to the point where bridge volume is greater than neck volume

Then the weird one...

Bridge Vol Half Way, Neck Vol Off - Starts as expected, but as soon as neck volume added in, huge drop in bottom end in particular, but overall just very gnarly, trebly tone, gets better as neck volume comes up to level of bridge.

So far, only thing I've discovered is that lowering the height of the neck pick-up significantly, shifts the point at which this drop occurs from when the volume is first engaged to when it's almost fully on. Lowering the neck pick-up to that extent does make the bridge pick-up dominant.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1496252186' post='3309978']
Bit wierd, sounds like a phase issue but then I'd expect that to also show up with both pups full on ...
[/quote]

Am wondering if the pick-ups aren't matched, with one overwound compared to the other causing phase cancellation. There's a significant chunk of output comes in between 8 and 10 on the pots so maybe at that point there's enough from bridge to hold its own versus the neck but not at lower settings.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1496263848' post='3310102']
I'd be tempted to check the ground connections on the back of the pots, in fact that all ground points have a good connection to the jack sleeve and to each other.
[/quote]

Checked and all good.

Thanks both.