Why become a member? ×

50 Years Ago Today,..........

gsgbass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496316920' post='3310420']
One had to 'be there'. :mellow:
[/quote]

I remember a bloke I used to play with always said that they [i]had [/i]to give Ringo a song, more out of sympathy than anything else, but for love of [i]whatever [/i]where were their heads at to include [i]Within You Without You[/i] on the album? This is my first listen to SPLHCB and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyhoo, given that The Beatles (Wikipedia tells me) barely stepped out of the studio in 1967 and that the Magical Mystery Tour followed around five months after SPLHCB, for me at least, I think I'll put together a 50 minute playlist, let's call it [i]'Sgt Pepper's Magical Mystery Tour 1967'[/i] (see what I did there?) and cull some tracks from both and make sure Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever are included.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496324320' post='3310513']
I remember a bloke I used to play with always said that they [i]had [/i]to give Ringo a song, more out of sympathy than anything else, but for love of [i]whatever [/i]where were their heads at to include [i]Within You Without You[/i] on the album?...
[/quote]

Ringo Starr..?

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Within_You_Without_You"]Wikipedia: Within You Without You ...[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

Well I'm just turned 64 so let's have a look...

I'm certainly older, so that's a yes.
I still have all my hair though, so I guess that's a n/a
We don't do valentines any more, so that'll be a no
We do like a nice bottle of wine from time to time so that's another yes

Can't remember the last time I stayed out anywhere close to quarter to three so that's another n/a
She struggles with the TV remote so yes she still needs me
As for food, well actually I do the majority of the cooking, so that's probably another n/a

She's certainly no longer the slender slip of a thing she once was
We're into our 40th year of marriage so that's a big yes too.

Can't remember the last time I needed to change a fuse
She doesn't knit, but we do like to go for a drive in the old jalopy of a weekend - off to the Cotswolds tomorrow as it happens.
I hate gardening with a passion
As for asking for more, I'm pretty good right now but thanks for the thought.

Never been to the Isle of Wight, and don't have any children, so any grandchildren on our knees would need to be somebody else's

Postcards? Seriously?

Needing and feeding has been covered already.

All things considered, could be worse...

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1496305353' post='3310293']
Never heard it all through. Will look it up.
[/quote]

Enjoy , That's like saying you've never seen Star Wars :)

I used to have it on cassette for my Walkman on the tube when I first worked in London , not heard it for about 25 years , maybe I should rediscover it.

There's many so called classic albums I've not heard , these anniversaries whilst commercial are good I think

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496324785' post='3310524']
Ringo Starr..?

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Within_You_Without_You"]Wikipedia: Within You Without You ...[/url]
[/quote]

No, you misunderstood. I was using the Ringo element as a metaphor, much in the same way as GH only got a song or two. I know full well it's a Harrison tune...my mumma didn't raise me as a mouth-breather. :)

[quote name='Chezz55' timestamp='1496317518' post='3310430']
Sorry but ..................................... I didn't rate Sgt Pepper then and I don't rate it now. I never came to grips with all the fuss and hype, and I still don't.

Chris.
[/quote]

it isn't even about the music, it is about the PROCESS of multitracking that opened up a whole new way of making music for every single artist since .

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496332951' post='3310639']
No, you misunderstood. I was using the Ringo element as a metaphor, much in the same way as GH only got a song or two. I know full well it's a Harrison tune...my mumma didn't raise me as a mouth-breather. :)
[/quote]

OK, as you were. Just struck me as odd, s'all. Carry on regardless... :)

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496333109' post='3310643']
I haven't seen any of those movies. 2001 fulfilled my space movie needs
[/quote]

Whilst we are on the topic of revisiting old things, watching that again should go on my list , thanks

I was 21 and half way through a 16 week course at the BBC training centre at Evesham. My room mate got a copy as soon as it was released and it was played a lot at the BBC Club. He went on to become a sound mixer and his eventual claim to fame was mixing the Freddy Mercury tribute Concert at Wembley. He did all right. Happy days and it's still a great record.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496338697' post='3310715']...
He just doesn't/didn't seem to have a clue.
[/quote]

Somewhat summary as a critique, I'd say. I suppose we are to gather that you don't like something about his style. And your drumming heroes are..? :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496342770' post='3310752']
And your drumming heroes are..? :mellow:
[/quote]

In no particular order; Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Steve Jansen, Mick Tucker, Buffin, Mark Wren, Will Calhoun, Tony Thaxton, Andy Sturmer, Adam Wade, Jamie Postones (some bias here, as he's a mate an' all), Jimmy Chamberlain, Josh Freese, Terry Bozzio, Danila Guglielmi. Kind of struggling now.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496343506' post='3310758']
In no particular order...
[/quote]

Some very good'uns there; I doubt, however, that Terry Bozzio would have been a better fit than Ringo for the Beatles, any more than Ringo would have been good in the Mothers. He (Ringo...) needs no defence from me; his style was more than suitable at the time for what was required, and stands the test of time, as long as one keeps context in mind. Was/is he a 'sh1t' drummer..? Not at all, but I can see why you fail to see any qualities in his work. There's no accounting for taste; to each his/her own.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496338697' post='3310715']
Christ on a bike, Ringo Starr is a sh*t drummer. I didn't realise that there might be some truth to the legend that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles.

He just doesn't/didn't seem to have a clue.
[/quote]

But didn’t John Lennon himself criticize Ringo’s drumming? When asked was Ringo the best drummer in the world, he famously replied “Ringo isn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!” Well, actually, no he didn’t. Beatles biographer Mark Lewisohn, one of the world’s leading authorities on the band, recently proved that Lennon never said that at all. The remark was actually made by Liverpool comedian Jasper Carrot. Another internet myth bites the dust.

Mike Portnoy on Ringo Starr: [url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/mike-portnoy-picks-10-essential-drum-albums-596916"]http://www.musicrada...m-albums-596916[/url]

[quote]

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

“Ringo is where it all began for me. From the day I was born, he was my introduction to drumming and music in general. Picking one Beatles album is so hard – everything from Rubber Soul forward are masterpieces – so I’m going to go with what might be a weird choice: Magical Mystery Tour.

“This wasn’t even a real Beatles album; it was just a collection of singles. But I think it was a period where Ringo and the band began their experimentation in the studio. Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane, both of which are on here, were the first tracks from the Sgt. Pepper sessions. Listen to what they were doing: Strawberry Fields was all about experimentation, and Penny Lane was all about simplicity. There’s a serious yin and yang of Ringo’s drumming in those two tracks.

“There’s also great drumming on I Am The Walrus – such a fantastic backbeat and groove. And there’s some other weirder songs, too, like the title track and Flying and Blue Jay Way. It captures Ringo during a very cool, very experimental period.

“There wouldn’t be drums as we know them if Ringo Starr hadn’t done it first. It goes beyond the fact that he was the drummer in the greatest band of all time; part of their innovation stems from his drumming. The backbeat on Penny Lane, the double-tracked drums on Lady Madonna – nobody was doing the kinds of things that Ringo was doing in the ‘60s. He was the first, and everything that followed did so in his footsteps.”

[/quote]

Mike Portnoy summed it up.

Ringo changed what a drummer could imagine playing. Ringo went further than rhythm drumming and became part of the arrangement, part of the song.

2 drummers changed drumming, Earl Palmer and Ringo Starr.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496351319' post='3310823']
Mike Portnoy summed it up.

Ringo changed what a drummer could imagine playing. Ringo went further than rhythm drumming and became part of the arrangement, part of the song.

2 drummers changed drumming, Earl Palmer and Ringo Starr.
[/quote]

I thought you'd done a typo there. You do realise that I was getting ready to go to bed, don't you? Now I need to investigate.