Why become a member? ×

50 Years Ago Today,..........

gsgbass

What made it even more interesting was having the guy break down the songs and explain complex musical tricks and form the Beatles used to make the music what it is and create the interest. He was explaining it as a technically gifted and highly trained musician, the Beatles had no formal training and at the time could not even read music. So they came up with all that simply because it sounded good to them. Now that is talent and genius.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496586557' post='3312473']
Yes, but Howard Goodall could fart into a paper bag and it would still be a great documentary ...
[/quote]

No, that was Ringo Starr. Please, do keep up. :mellow:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496586557' post='3312473']
Yes, but Howard Goodall could fart into a paper bag and it would still be a great documentary ...
[/quote]

I believe he favours a bag made of kid leather.

Ringo was more easily satisfied. He'd stop at the grocer's for a handful of brown paper bags on the way in to work. If he bumped into Eric Morcambe he'd let him have the used bags for Eric and Ernie's stage act.

Raspberry bags forever.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdx-FEzE0Q[/media]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496655155' post='3312930']
We gigged Saturday and a couple of the blokes in the band were talking about Ringo Starr.

Our wisecracking drummer would only go so far as to say he was great in Thomas the Tank Engine.
[/quote]

Wise crack huh? How is [i]he[/i] with the old fart in a bag routine?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1496531555' post='3312177']
If anyone watched Howard Goodall's program last night on the making of Pep ( composer of Blackadder title track and much more ) , it was fabulous watching him breakdown the way the Peps tracks were constructed, and just what incredible work and genius those guys used to magic them tracks out of thin air. Even ' within you ' whether you like it or not

I have even more respect for their musical prowess than i used to
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth.
I got to see part of it just now. This PBS documentary is called "Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution (with Howard Goodall)", and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just last week I saw a show (can't call it a documentary) about "Pet Sounds" where so-called celebrities were filmed stating ad nauseam that Brian Wilson is a genius, and now this:
Howard Goodall actually telling how the modulation works, and what effect rhythmic displacement has on the listener.

A real musician talking about music? Whodathought! :o
Highly recommended (or at least for as far as I got to see it before my sister phoned. Happily I hit the Record button).

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1497861895' post='3320858']
I don't actually think i have heard the whole album, but I've just got myself a turntable and Im thinking it might be my first purchase for it.
[/quote]

I hope it plays out to the centre groove else you'll not hear the "bonus" bit of SPLHCB that plays endlessly if you let it. Auto lift mechanisms may stop you from ever hearing that. I'd love to know if that is still included on re-releases too.