Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

[color=#2f4f4f][size=5][b]June’s Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, [b]WILD FROG SHOT[/b]… [/size]

Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:

[spoiler]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive. If your track contains explicit lyrics, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership.

3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition.[/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask.

[color=#2f4f4f][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Friday 23rd June.[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1496332866' post='3310638']
Oh great pic!
[/quote]

Haha, I [i]knew[/i] you'd like this pic the moment I saw it! I can hear you rifling through your Kontact library already :D Looking forward to hearing what you and everyone else comes up with this month.

I'm going to try and get something written myself. It's been a while since I've dabbled; but not due to laziness (I've worked on about 20+ remixes in the last 6 months or so!). We have a beat up old upright piano at home that is crying out for some attention - and this could be the ideal moment. I just need to figure out how to record the damned thing with just one mic. Previous attempts haven't been great... but heh.

I have a few pianos...

Alicia's Keys
City Piano
Evolve R2
Ivy Audio - Piano in 162
Plastic Ghost Piano
Rain Piano MkII
Retro Machines Mk2 Library
Scarbee Mark I
Scarbee Vintage Keys Library
Spitfire Labs - Plucked Grand Piano
Spitfire LABS Felt Piano
Spitfire Orchestral Grand library
The Gentleman
The Giant
The Grandeur
The Maverick
Addictive Keys Grand
A whole bunch in Sampletank

Plus any synth pianos. I don't have a real one though - lucky you! :D

And I got the half price upgrade from Replika to Replika XT which is amazeballs. And I've been playing with some dark grinding organic dirty sounding cinematic underscore synths.

Oh my.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496367302' post='3310882']
To get the ball rolling...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/albertis-last-waltz"]Alberti's Last Waltz ...[/url]

Enjoy. B)
[/quote]
No flies on you. Nice work too!

I've been trying some things out and the most odd thing happened. I've got one quite tuneful track and two atonal ones in a different time signature. I was just reviewing what I'd got down so far, mixed up the atonal tracks, and it sounded like a descent into insanity, like a waking nightmare almost. I had to get up and walk around to shake it off. I really wasn't expecting that. May have to tone it down or sweeten it before I play it to anyone.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1496602565' post='3312626']
I've been trying some things out and the most odd thing happened. I've got one quite tuneful track and two atonal ones in a different time signature. I was just reviewing what I'd got down so far, mixed up the atonal tracks, and it sounded like a descent into insanity, like a waking nightmare almost. I had to get up and walk around to shake it off. I really wasn't expecting that. May have to tone it down or sweeten it before I play it to anyone.
[/quote]

...But that's exactly how I get my best results..! Render it 'as is' and let the public (well, us BCer's...) decide. Cap ou pas cap..? :lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks :) I recently updated my Replika to Replika XT (delay plugin) and made judicious use of it especially on the drums and piano.

Also the piano playing comes from some EZKeys midi which is turning out to be a fantastic tool as well. I don't rate their piano sounds but for composing, transposing and getting some good piano licks it's unbeatable. I just drag the midi out into a better sounding piano - Alicia's Keys and The Giant in this instance.

Edited by Mornats

i may have something this time. i have been struggling musically recently, just not getting my head into more than messing around. really not liking the new keyboard, a casio ctk-631. the sounds seem cheap and flimsy if that makes sense. its either really plinky or so muddy you cant tell what chord your on. also the sustain cuts out randomly which makes a lot of sections and runs sound odd. its certainly not a patch on the yamaha i was using before. on the upside i got a new guitar, a cort kx-5, which is fantastic.
i have a rough idea which i have started on but the keyboard is really letting the side down. i will have something in this time but wether it gets anywhere near the sound i want will take a while of messing with the eq.

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1496869973' post='3314467']...really not liking the new keyboard, a casio ctk-631. the sounds seem cheap and flimsy...
[/quote]

Can you not capture only the MIDI, and use VST's for the sound..? Treat the Casio as a master keyboard, and not use its internal sounds..? Just a thought. ;)