Why become a member? ×

Cheap German bow recommendations

I've used the same cheapie bow for more than 10 years, I bought it used for something like £30 but I believe it was one of the $99 jobs that Gollihur Music in the US used to sell. It is starting to flake out on me; the tip facing has split and the wedge is creeping out. I'm going to have to cross my fingers that it holds out for the two gigs I have in the next week, but I think I need to sort out another bow sharpish.
I'd like to look at better bows at some point, but right now would not be the time. So which cheap German bows are worth looking at, up to about £100? The local string shops tend not to have much choice in German bows and the ones they do have are usually out of my range, so I'll probably be buying online. Thomann have a couple, either their own £50 carbon job or wooden bows labelled Gewa or Alfred Stingl. Lando Music in Germany have wooden bows labelled Gasparo that look like they might be OK; [url="http://www.kontrabass-atelier.de/bogen_e.html"]http://www.kontrabas...de/bogen_e.html[/url]
Or there are various Chinese suppliers via eBay, although like the idea of going with a company in the UK or Europe so that it would be easier to send back it it's terrible! Any recommendations would be welcome.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Hmm, looking around at bows online, I'd never realised that the one I've been playing for years is not full size! Mine is 52cm hair length and 71.5cm long overall. This seems to be described as 1/2 size or 3/4 size depending on where I look. I'm not sure how I managed not to notice that...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1496351388' post='3310824']
Tip facing split = a dab of glue.

Wedge falling out = if it was having a re-hair the wedge would be out anyway. Don't buy a new one. Treat yourself to a rehair. Job done.
[/quote]

I did think about that, and I've had it rehaired once already about 6 years ago. But I think a rehair is £60 or so, the tip repair would probably be extra, and it starts to look uneconomical with a cheap bow like mine. I could attempt to glue it myself before having it rehaired, but I have a feeling they might not be happy about rehairing a bow with an amateur glued-up repair. It looks like the split facing is the reason the wedge is coming loose, because the crack widens as the bow is tightened, and can be pushed closed with the hair slackened off.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496335461' post='3310681']
The Yita ones are well respected around these parts, Geoff 'Discover Double Bass' Chalmers made mine sing at the bash and Jake Newman bought one as his backup for West End gigs after trying mine too.
[/quote]

Doing a quick search, the Yita bows do have some favourable reviews. That would make me a bit happier about the idea of ordering from China, certainly. Though I'm also wondering about this cheap carbon bow from Thomann; [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_cbb01g_34_carbon_bassbow.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_cbb01g_34_carbon_bassbow.htm[/url]
It's short, but it turns out that it's the same size as the one I've been using for years, which might help with familiarity.

Bought a bow (French style) from China some years ago. It arrived with a nice back bow curve on it. Unfortunately it also had a side bow on it! Money was refunded after I sent pictures and then as requested, cut the frog/ handle end off and returned it. Around six weeks of waiting and final sorting. It may be better to get a Chinese one off a U.K. dealer from quicker service.

I have a fairly nice carbon German bow that I'll part with for a reasonable sum. Bought it cos I took on a pupil who had learnt German and didn't wan to change, and I needed to be able to demo stuff to him. He's moved away, so I no longer need it. PM me if interested

Neil

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1496442406' post='3311555']
I have a fairly nice carbon German bow that I'll part with for a reasonable sum. Bought it cos I took on a pupil who had learnt German and didn't wan to change, and I needed to be able to demo stuff to him. He's moved away, so I no longer need it. PM me if interested

Neil
[/quote]

Cheers for the offer. I had just ordered one of the Thomann carbon bows before I read your post, otherwise I'd have been tempted. However, their return policy is quite good, so if I don't like the feel or build quality of it when it arrives I'll drop you a PM.