Why become a member? ×

vanderkley 112 mnt.....what driver?

ebenezer

As the title suggests, i'm just wondering if the 12 inch driver fitted to the 112 mnt is the faital pro 12fh 520 i know reading the review in bass guitar magazine the ext is fitted with the 12 pr 300(pics)....If this is the case, the 12fh 520 has great specs!!

What would i gain over the lesser 112 ext?

Heh, I happen to run one of each with my 500 watt Eden.

I started out with the EXT, but after a bit of scare when some dude borrowed my rig, I decided to get a pair of MNT's.

However, they do come at a bit of a price, so I decided for now just to use the MNT and add the EXT if I need full power. They don't look exactly the same, but financially it's a good compromise. It's an awesomely powerful setup.

Sound-wise there is no difference in any practical sense (I believe the MNT has a sensitivity of 99 dB vs the EXT's 100 dB - Marc Vanderkley himself even assured me combining them is perfectly fine!).
The MNT, however, can take twice as much of a pummeling on its own, so that's a relief when I bring just the one and it needs to be pushed. It's also noticeably heavier, but still easy enough to lift.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Danuman

There would be added volume but I'm not sure how much.
I am using a single 112ext (with a LMIII ) in my band where it gives sufficient volume for the small venues where I regularly play.
If I ever needed more volume I would add a second cab rather than choosing a cab with a higher wattage I guess. (although it's much more expensive).

I've got the 212MNT, which is 600 watt, so maybe same drivers at the 112EXT? I've used with a 900 watt amp, and now a 700 watt amp and it's always taken whatever I've thrown at it, not that it's ever really pushed as I've never had the need. It's a big sounding cab!

[quote name='JazzBass4624' timestamp='1496398394' post='3311048']
There would be added volume but I'm not sure how much.
I am using a single 112ext (with a LMIII ) in my band where it gives sufficient volume for the small venues where I regularly play.
If I ever needed more volume I would add a second cab rather than choosing a cab with a higher wattage I guess. (although it's much more expensive).
[/quote]

That's pretty much how I feel!
For most of the bands I play in even just the EXT should be about enough. (Something about sensible levels, judicious eq'ing and effective use of available power...)

My main band, though, is a demanding one, so it's nice to have such trouser-flapping power on tap!

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1496511119' post='3312020']
That's pretty much how I feel!
For most of the bands I play in even just the EXT should be about enough. (Something about sensible levels, judicious eq'ing and effective use of available power...)

My main band, though, is a demanding one, so it's nice to have such trouser-flapping power on tap!
[/quote]

+1
I wonder how much I would have gained from a single 112ext to a single 112MNT.
Both cabs are 8Ohm so the LMIII would only provide 300watts max.