Why become a member? ×

NBD - J&D '75 Jazz Bass

BrunoBass

I've been weighing up getting a backup bass for live work for a while, and considering something cheap and Fender-y to use in my rock covers band. I love my Stingray, but it's not doing it for me tone-wise in our rock trio lineup. Anyway after much research I whittled the choice down to a Harley Benton '70s Jazz from Thomann, or a J&D '70s Jazz from DV247. The J&D won; it was slightly cheaper, was coming from a British supplier, which in the case of a return made sense, and with the general consensus being that HB basses are ridiculously heavy the J&D was likely to be lighter. I put all the tales of poor set up and sharp frets to the back of my mind and placed the order.

It arrived today. I'm stunned. The finish is flawless, the pickups and tuners are perfectly adequate, the set up straight out the box was very good (very slight intonation adjustment required on the D and G strings). But the action was low, with no truss rod adjustments necessary. The frets are level, and while some of the edges are less smooth than I'd like they're certainly not rough or sharp. The nut is cheap but looks well cut. And it sounds great. It's not heavy (9 and 1/4 pounds, exactly the same as my Stingray) and it's perfectly playable. For one hundred and nine pounds, delivered. Unreal.

The only area where the bass reveals its budget nature are the pots, which feel cheap and nasty, but are quiet and not scratchy, but bearing in mind the price this is an extremely solid, incredible value instrument. The J&D is certainly comparable to some of the Squiers I've owned and played over the years, and is probably superior to instruments I've played in the Affinity range, which is double the price. I keep reminding myself, one hundred and nine pounds... The strings feel and sound good, quite high tension which personally I like, and they feel slightly glossier than the Slinkys I usually favour. The hangtag says they are American, but offers no clue as to which manufacturer.

I put some Schaller strap locks on it straight away, and I'm sure that over time I'll replace the pots, and maybe the tuners and pickups, but I'm over the moon with it and have spent all afternoon playing it when I should've been working. What is difficult to reconcile is that it cost a tenth of what my Stingray cost. Of course you only have to pick up the 'Ray to notice that it's on a different level to the J&D, but is it ten times better? Who knows. Anyway I'm taking it to rehearsals tonight and I think I'm going to gig it on Saturday.

DV247, by the way, were very good thoughout the whole process; great customer service.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

I've had mine (which is surf green) for three years now, and it is still my main bass!

I had to replace the pickups, but only because one failed. Toneriders were cheap and sound good. The bridge was a bit "sharp" as I use quite a lot of pick and palm muting, so I swapped it for a Fender MIM P bass BBOT bridge (cost = £10). I got a friend of a friend to respray the headstock to match the body - another £15. Custom purple tort plate and a KiOgon wiring harness and we are good to go.

It now feels like a bass that would cost £500+, and yet the whole project came to less than £200. To say I'm chuffed would be an understatement, and I have a one-off bass that always attracts positive comments :D

You just can't go wrong at this price. I bought one for my son too...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1496677288' post='3313150']
I've had mine (which is surf green) for three years now, and it is still my main bass!

I had to replace the pickups, but only because one failed. Toneriders were cheap and sound good. The bridge was a bit "sharp" as I use quite a lot of pick and palm muting, so I swapped it for a Fender MIM P bass BBOT bridge (cost = £10). I got a friend of a friend to respray the headstock to match the body - another £15. Custom purple tort plate and a KiOgon wiring harness and we are good to go.

It now feels like a bass that would cost £500+, and yet the whole project came to less than £200. To say I'm chuffed would be an understatement, and I have a one-off bass that always attracts positive comments :D

You just can't go wrong at this price. I bought one for my son too...
[/quote]

That's interesting to know, thanks, as I'm planning to upgrade a few things too. It's good to hear how you've modded yours. Did the bridge require additional drilling or did it fit ok?

How have the tuners faired over the three years you've owned it? Mine look and feel cheap (obviously) but they were stable and held tuning accurately during Sarurday night's gig. I'm still impressed with mine, despite a couple of snobby comments.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1496787303' post='3313905']
That's interesting to know, thanks, as I'm planning to upgrade a few things too. It's good to hear how you've modded yours. Did the bridge require additional drilling or did it fit ok?

How have the tuners faired over the three years you've owned it? Mine look and feel cheap (obviously) but they were stable and held tuning accurately during Sarurday night's gig. I'm still impressed with mine, despite a couple of snobby comments.
[/quote]

Bridge was a direct replacement - no drilling required. Tuners are fine. OK, they are probably the weakest link in the chain now, but they do the job so I see no need to replace them.

I always feel slightly amused, but also saddened by the "snobby" comments. For some people, if you don't play a Fender or Gibson they are out of their depth and feel that anything else must be inferior to their values and traditions. The kind of people who make those comments fail to realise that they reflect far more negatively on themselves than the people to whom they were aimed... :(

Still - great basses for next to no cash. What's not to like? :gas: