Why become a member? ×

Complex Pedalboard Routing (DOD Meatbox)

CameronJ

After spending most of yesterday researching, this afternoon I set about planning out the structure for the board idea I have floating around in my head. I want a board which will mostly be used for bass but which will eventually serve double duty as effects for a synth as well (possibly Novation Bass Station 2 or similar).

I've been scratching my head regarding the routing as it is quite specific. It all revolves around my DOD Meatbox and its TRS output. I have two main routing scenarios.

Scenario One - At home/on stage without PA support.
I want to run it parallel to the rest of the effects in my chain and be able to mix it in to taste at the end of my signal path. The blended signal would then be going to an amp.

Scenario Two - On stage with decent PA support OR 2 channel audio recording.
For these occasions I want the ability to D.I. a solo wet Meatbox signal out to the desk, leaving the rest of my "unmeatboxed" signal going through the rest of my board to an amp and/or DI'd to a second channel at the desk.

It's a bit complicated and I've spent much of the past 24 hours staring blankly into the distance while my brain overheats trying to work out the best way of achieving all this, but at last I think I've mostly worked it out. In the diagram below I've tried to illustrate it as logically as possible:

If I do go wireless for my bass(es) it'll almost certainly be a Smooth Hound system . Eventually with a second transmitter for bass #2.

I specifically want an AB switcher with a volume control to attenuate the hot output from whatever synth/keys I plug into that channel. Something like this: http://www.brightonion.co.uk/products/AB-Switch-with-Volume-Control.html

The Splitter and D.I. after the Meatbox could potentially be merged into one box if I went for a Radial Stage Bug SB2: http://www.radialeng.com/stagebugsb2.php

I'm pretty sure that I'll need some kind of mini mixer pedal and NOT a loop switcher for the point at which the Meatbox signal merges with the signal from the rest of my effects just before the preamp. The Meatbox input will already be in use, which surely makes a traditional loop switcher redundant here? I may have to see if I could get Bright Onion (or similar pedal building wizards like Wee Lush FX etc.) to make something like this but with 2 ins and 1 out: http://www.brightonion.co.uk/blender-looper/

Does this setup look like it will work? Is there anything I haven't considered? Am I mad for wanting to do this?

Edited by CameronJ

Sounds similar to my little board:

Here it is in 'practice/no PA' mode:
[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20161118_212851_zpstvlj0phi.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

It goes
Tuner>Loop Logic>amp

The Loop Logic has 2 loops
Loop 1 = Octave > fuzz > low pass filter
Loop 2 = Density Hulk (basically same as meatbox)
So I can have each loop individually, or together in parallel, with a separate level control for each.

Here's the 'Hulk through PA' mode:
[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20161118_211330_zpsxmaudqr5.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

On the Hulk, I have removed the 'out' plug and inserted the green cable which goes to the Stagebug (great DI BTW)
So here, Loop 1 goes through my amp and into the PA. Loop 2 bypasses the amp and goes straight to the PA via the Stagebug.

Edited by Roland Rock

You could pick up a couple of Boss LS-2s fairly cheaply, and get a DI Box with a 'Thru' out and you won't need a splitter after the Meatbox. LS-2 set to A<->B for switching between Synth and Bass, with a Volume control for each instrument, and then another one after your FX set to A+B Mix, and have the post-DI wet Meatbox signal into the Return of Loop A, then the Dry output run through the rest of your FX into Loop B Return, and use the volume knobs to blend to your liking.

Very useful stuff, thanks guys. I didn't realise it was possible to just use the Return on a looper without the Send being connected to anything. Great! Presumably any looper will do this i.e. not exclusive to the LS-2?

Also, having pondered a bit more, I think it would make a bit more sense to put my preamp pedal before the loop switcher so it only shapes the "unmeatboxed" signal and not the overall blend. This is a bit more practical in terms of tone shaping and still leaves Scenario 2 (in my original post) unaffected.

See below:

Edited by CameronJ

Hmmm. I've just shot Bright Onion an email to see whether it'll work with their Blender Looper. I've read some odd things about Boss LS2 tone suck. And I'm a bit dubious of a pedal which has remained in production unchanged since 1991! This may read as snobbery but I'm just being overly cautious!

Anyway, things are in motion for the pedalboard plan. I've bought a new board as my platform, a load more cables, micro Thumpinator is pending, stage bug D.I. pending, a second Rockboard Power LT XL pending too to help deal with the extra pedal load. I'll be ordering my Smooth Hound shortly too but may need to invest in a Gigrig Isolator to give it a clean isolated power feed. It's pretty pricey at £59 though so I wonder if there are alternatives?

Edited by CameronJ

That sounds pretty nasty. In a good way.

James @ Bright Onion got back to me saying the Blender Looper wouldn't work well for what I wanted it to do. He asked for a diagram of what I was trying to do and I sent him an updated version (see below). I just need a 2 input, 1 output mixer with a level control and mute switch for the second input. So I'm waiting for a reply now. Their website says they're no longer taking custom orders due to current sales volume but it sounded as though he might have been willing to see if they could work something out for me. We'll see!

Latest diagram:

Here's the progress so far:

I invested in a Pedaltrain Classic 2 which I think is the perfect size for my needs. The gaps you can see will be filled by Bright Onion pedals soon - I have a pending order which should hopefully be with either next week or the week after. Still waiting on my Micro Thumpinator too. The whole board will be powered by 2 Warwick Rockboard LT XLs.

The only trailing cable is from from the board to the amp! Glorious.

Edited by CameronJ

Got some treats delivered from Bright Onion today. Once they're hooked up the only thing I'll be waiting for to complete the board is my Micro Thumpinator. Which seems to be taking FOREVER. The wait is quite frustrating actually. I could have had a custom cab built in less time...

Edited by CameronJ

And after a bit of witchcraft with distances and gaps, here's the (pretty much) finished product! It all works as planned and I'm very pleased with the result but if I never see another patch cable again it'll be too soon :lol:

I need to neaten up the power cables but I'll sort that out another time.

And with the diagram for reference:

Edited by CameronJ

• 2 weeks later...

Nice setup man. It does resemble my own synth setup quite a bit, altough recently I swapped some pedals for a Line 6 M5/M9 and went the MIDI/preset-way. At home I simply plug in both of the signals into my two-channel Markbass LMK.

BTW, where's that Thumpinator of yours? Is it the small Wee Lush at the bottom right?
Q2, which software do you make these schemes with? I like them quite a bit.

Thanks guys. To be honest I only put it there in my draft diagrams after having read a few people's comment here and on talkbass about effects behaving better as a result. I may well decide to put it at the end of my chain though given the fact I'm now running dual octavers :lol:

Still have to wait for it to arrive though! I'll post results once it's arrived and on my board.

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='madame clapotis' timestamp='1498946813' post='3328226']
Nice setup man. It does resemble my own synth setup quite a bit, altough recently I swapped some pedals for a Line 6 M5/M9 and went the MIDI/preset-way. At home I simply plug in both of the signals into my two-channel Markbass LMK.

BTW, where's that Thumpinator of yours? Is it the small Wee Lush at the bottom right?
Q2, which software do you make these schemes with? I like them quite a bit.
[/quote]

I'm still waiting on the Thumpinator. The Wee Lush box you're referring to is a mute/stutter switch. Very good service and comms from Wee Lush - I'd recommend them highly.

I drew all my diagrams with an iOS app called PureFlow. It's free and really easy to use. Takes a couple of minutes to learn and the results are nice and smooth as you can see!

Edited by CameronJ

So the Thumpinator arrived a few days ago - had a chance to play with it through my practise monitor and through headphones, with dry bass and through effects. I did a lot of knob twiddling on my bass and effects to try and get extreme settings and compare result with/without the Thumpinator. To be honest I didn't notice any discernible difference in my sound with or without it in my signal chain...which is probably a good thing I suppose, although it is a little bit disconcerting not hearing what a pedal is doing or knowing whether it's on or not!

The real test will be using it through my rig at home and seeing the difference there.