Why become a member? ×

Hipshot tuners on ibanez SR1605

Thought I would mention it here as I had a bit of difficulty finding out the info when I was looking.

Of all my basses (although down to 9 now), my ibanez 1605 premium is my bass. It's the one with the spalted poplar top, and that is where one of its issues is. All the other premium 1x05s have a much heavier wood on them, so they balance better, the poplar is light so the 1605 is head heavy.
As I just got a bass with ultralite tuners on it and have been happy with those, I though I would give them a try.

I got a set of 6 (so I had a spare) HB6Y-3/8, gold ultralite licensed from eBay, altogether £75 from the US. Was a bit concerned as I couldn't get that much info on fit.

Anyway, they fit perfectly so no need to worry. They weigh 19gms less than the original gotohs so almost 100gm less for a set. Does it stop it being head heavy? Not entirely but it certainly improves matters quite a bit so worth doing, and I might do it on one of the other ibanezes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1496422860' post='3311359']

this is a comparison between the sizes. Seems like most tuners on ibanez are the same size (if not all gotohs)
[/quote]

The open gear looks really nice too. I've got a set of Gotoh's 'lightweight offering' on my Shuker 7 string. They are the same shape as the models on your bass but a wee bit lighter:

http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/gb350.html