Why become a member? ×

I'm now an ex-double bass player

oggiesnr

It's been fun whilst it lasted but my short double bass playing career is now over :(

I've always had a bit ot trouble with my left hand (a tractor accident over forty years ago) which is compounded by the fact that I have small hands anyway. In the last year I've been getting more trouble with it and fairly frequent hands cramps. I'm now struggling to play for more than a few minutes at a time, I certainly can't gig with it. I've done all the stuff that one's meant to do but to no avail. As I make my living by using my hands I've decided that the double bass is one stress too far.

I'll miss it. I've learnt an awful lot in the last few years, my sight reading's improved, I've done some composing and arranging, and I've met some great people.

C'est le vie

Steve

Oh no! Sorry to hear of your problems Steve / oggiesnr

For me, playing DB is secondary to playing bass guitar, as I'm involved far more with bands / musicians on BG. However, I had a problem with my foot, which meant standing in one position for any length of time caused me absolute agony. The result was, that I played far less DB than I'd have liked to for quite some time..... :(

Fortunately, I'm now playing a bit more, and the problem with my foot is now (mostly) resolved. I really really, truly missed playing Db whenever I wanted - so I feel for you on this. It's a huge shame, and I'd hate to have to stop it now

Have you considered playing something "similar" - as Skidder says above, maybe fretless? Or perhaps a smaller DB type instrument, like the Omni bass, or something from the KYDD range? I recently took a KYDD "Carry on" EUB in trade. It's same scale length as a short scale bass i.e. 30" - Is it the left hand stretches that are causing you grief?

Sorry to hear this matey
Hope your hand is back to 100% soon

Marc

Edited by Marc S

Really sorry to hear that.

Try buying a fretless Harley Benton bass uke from Thomann.

I've routinely used one at DB gigs where there simply isn't the space for my DB. They're cheap, sound great, and actually work remarkably well as a DB substitute.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496391335' post='3310957']
Really sorry to hear that.

Try buying a fretless Harley Benton bass uke from Thomann.

I've routinely used one at DB gigs where there simply isn't the space for my DB. They're cheap, sound great, and actually work remarkably well as a DB substitute.
[/quote]

I was just about to add the suggestion of a Kala U-bass or something similar (other brands are available lol) - but I see Happy Jack beat me to it.... I don't use my Kala very much, but it's an interesting little instrument, and I keep mine as every now & then I take it to an open mic night or pub jam - they sound a bit like a DB and they're a bit of fun... and they're much more portable than a DB

Edited by Marc S