Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine giving away 7 Sire basses.

TheGreek

I have a v7 and it is easily a match for any of the 1000 plus basses i've had and i'm not the only one who thinks so
here is a bit of Andre Berry playing one with David Sandbourn ...there are plenty of other pro players using them too

http://youtu.be/K-_D5bpeF1Y

I'd like to add that my dislike of online tutoring does not get in the way of my learning from online resources.

I just don't sign up or register. As Blue says, there is a wealth of stuff to show you exactly how it's done. There is so much that you often see the same techniques by players of dissimilar abilities and see how experience brings the player on through repetition.

I wish I'd had the resource when I was "in the zone" during my early twenties. Had it been so I could have kept the band up as well as the apprenticeship.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496488339' post='3311845']

You're not alone. I've not been there in ages. I have gone in a few times this week. It's like a graveyard. It's dead compared to how it used to be.
Scott must be hoping this will get it up and thriving again.
[/quote]

I need to go back in there. I got a lifetime membership and I rarely go there, don't know why, I could learn so much if I did

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1496518956' post='3312100']
I have a v7 and it is easily a match for any of the 1000 plus basses i've had and i'm not the only one who thinks so
here is a bit of Andre Berry playing one with David Sandbourn ...there are plenty of other pro players using them too

[media]http://youtu.be/K-_D5bpeF1Y[/media]
[/quote]floats my boat :)

As a resource I think that SBL is a great site, lots of great lessons presented in a way I have no difficulty grasping.

Obviously I find some lessons more pertinent that others but that's why it's so useful - there's going to be something for everybody and if I don't get it first time round I can go back at my leisure and look at any lesson. I've recommended it to lots of people and always had positive feedback from them.

I've met Scott a few times too and he's a properly nice fella - down to earth and always has time to stop and chat - he may have some financial motivation in giving these away but he is running a business, after all. I'm sure that the winner won't be complaining when they get a great Bass for nothing.

It seems the way of this forum to be cynical - personally I'll support Scott in any way that I can - my playing and theory have come on leaps and bounds just by using his site.

Scott, keep on doing what you're doing mate...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496465774' post='3311623']
You need to remember this is a PR exercise to attract new punters to his Bass lessons academy. So, IMHO these are great basses for someone who is starting at the lower end and learning.
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1496604083' post='3312645']
As a resource I think that SBL is a great site, lots of great lessons presented in a way I have no difficulty grasping.

Obviously I find some lessons more pertinent that others but that's why it's so useful - there's going to be something for everybody and if I don't get it first time round I can go back at my leisure and look at any lesson. I've recommended it to lots of people and always had positive feedback from them.

I've met Scott a few times too and he's a properly nice fella - down to earth and always has time to stop and chat - he may have some financial motivation in giving these away but he is running a business, after all. I'm sure that the winner won't be complaining when they get a great Bass for nothing.

It seems the way of this forum to be cynical - personally I'll support Scott in any way that I can - my playing and theory have come on leaps and bounds just by using his site.

Scott, keep on doing what you're doing mate...
[/quote]

I completely support Scott.

My generation, all we had were a few basic bass guitar lesson books bassed on guitar and moving that needle back and forth on a record player.

We had nothing close to the insight and structure Scott delivers.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496607906' post='3312700']

Agreed

Blue
[/quote]

I have heard differently. I have heard these basses are as good as 3x their price competitors. The production is all in house & there is no advertising which allowed for the price to be lower. I heard this from highly respected players off the record.
I just bought one so I guess will be able to asses this for myself soon!

(sorry about my "wrong" quote.

I have gotten a lot out of SBL too. The ratio of lesson to time watching to find is a little low tho it has to be said. I suppose it doesn't matter so much tho!

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1496645438' post='3312835']
I have heard differently. I have heard these basses are as good as 3x their price competitors. The production is all in house & there is no advertising which allowed for the price to be lower. I heard this from highly respected players off the record.
I just bought one so I guess will be able to asses this for myself soon!
[/quote]
I didn't mean they're of poor quality. I mean, if you're a beginner, as most/many of Scotts members will be, it's a fantastic instrument to have. It's a good instrument for any of us.

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1496645639' post='3312837']
(sorry about my "wrong" quote.

I have gotten a lot out of SBL too. The ratio of lesson to time watching to find is a little low tho it has to be said. I suppose it doesn't matter so much tho!
[/quote]
Sorry, I don't understand that.

I too have got a lot out of Scotts lessons. When watching some you need to skip the banter, but at least with Scott you can do that.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496488339' post='3311845']
You're not alone. I've not been there in ages. I have gone in a few times this week. It's like a graveyard. It's dead compared to how it used to be.
Scott must be hoping this will get it up and thriving again.
[/quote]

Its interesting isnt it, I haven't been in there much for lack of time, but the times I had it looked active enough. But I see what you are saying is backed up by the stats.

I wonder how many members just do the courses and don't participate in the forum? To be honest its probably a better use of time and the courses have multiplied in the past year.

Its a tough business decision whether to spend more effort on attracting new members or keeping the ones you have, but on the giveaway front I know it annoys many (ie me!) that Scott gets so much gear but hardly any gets distributed amont the members, it just mostly goes to anonymous youtubers who pay nothing and never will. I think I've only seen one member who joined because he won something, and come to think of it I haven't seen him again so he might have just done the free trial!

Maybe if people knew that SBL members had a good chance of picking up some gear that would be a better incentive to join than a one in a million chance on youtube?

Hopefully Scott keeping 3 of these Sires for the members is at least a start in the right direction.

No desire to try and win one. He's a good bassist, and no doubt a fantastic teacher, but I do not have the time to play as much as him or the hours he says you need to put in.

Plus, I'm happy with what I can do and I can challenge myself by playing to songs I don't know.

I'd rather learn more guitar if I'm honest.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496648710' post='3312859']

I didn't mean they're of poor quality. I mean, if you're a beginner, as most/many of Scotts members will be, it's a fantastic instrument to have. It's a good instrument for any of us.

Sorry, I don't understand that.

I too have got a lot out of Scotts lessons. When watching some you need to skip the banter, but at least with Scott you can do that.
[/quote]

fair enough yeah you can skip. I'm just not sure why exactly its there sometimes.

I understand its a business he's running. all good.

My beef with the comps is with the follow through on prizes too. A while back he had a whole slew of several top items up for grabs - amp, cab, bass and other stuff. Instead of allocating one item to each of several winners the whole lot went to a single person in Ireland. What a waste. You get the impression that once the competition has raised attention the rest of it isn't worth bothering with.

I learned almost everything that has made me any sort of bassist from Scott and I find him inspirational. But much of what he does is too difficult for the average Joe and as others have pointed out much of his latest stuff is the opposite and more to do with being in his 'gang. Thanks to Scott I regard myself as a journeyman bassist, but if I need help now I'm more likely to go to down to earth practical sites like Talkingbass.net.

There must come a point when SD has accessed every bassist on the planet. When they've all tried it and found it too cerebral, or on the flip side, too - well, flippant - presumably much of his client base will disappear.

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1496676832' post='3313139']
I've owned three Geddy Lee J basses - two CIJ and one (my current one) MIM. They are all outstanding basses, with excellent build quality. I think the Japanese versions slightly shade it in terms of finish, but the Mex bass sounds better...

Usually they can be had for around £500. IMO they are the best, and most consistent Fender J basses out there.
[/quote]

Considering the price of USA fenders now outrageous
They are a must buy ASA standby bass or or as primary one
Bang for the buck they sound really good. Has anyone done any modifications on them yet

MIM in Mexico Fenders are becoming more attractive price wise to USA models I mean£1800 for a elite
Come on ???

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1496443252' post='3311564']
Remember when the Sires first appeared roundabout $400,they upset plenty folks.
Mostly folks who'd just spent $800+ :lol:
[/quote]

Ha ha ha, love it!!! Heard good reports about these but yet to try one

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1496745534' post='3313549']
Bang for the buck they sound really good. Has anyone done any modifications on them yet
[/quote]
I've done a couple, but they're purely hardware. Hipshot tuners in place of the stock ones (much smoother action, plus they shaved half a pound off the weight), and [url="https://goo.gl/images/kIrb6P"]Hipshot string retainers[/url] to replace the stock bar-type.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1496664401' post='3313033']
My beef with the comps is with the follow through on prizes too. A while back he had a whole slew of several top items up for grabs - amp, cab, bass and other stuff. Instead of allocating one item to each of several winners the whole lot went to a single person in Ireland. What a waste. You get the impression that once the competition has raised attention the rest of it isn't worth bothering with.
[/quote]

He's a business man first. He's happy to have got all the attention, the trial members and the mailing list. After that sending the gear out to 1 address is cheaper than to split it.

He's he's probably crying into his cappuccino here that it would make no logical sense to send all 7 basses to one person.

Edited by Grangur