Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine giving away 7 Sire basses.

TheGreek

If I were you I wouldn't bother entering this give away - nasty cheap bass that no respecting Bass Player (well alright, Marcus Miller might) would want to be seen with. Don't even bother clicking on the link - you'll only be disappointed. :blush: :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdzva4nyvrY

Remember, it's just going to be a complete waste of your time.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1496435331' post='3311493']
Just so people have all the info there are 7 different Sire models Scott is giving away. Most expensive is a 5 string beauty with a retail of 799.
[/quote]

$799.00 I a bit pricey for that kind of bass?

$800.00 can land anyone a much higher level bass. I guess it depends on what you like.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496435685' post='3311496']
$799.00 I a bit pricey for that kind of bass?

$800.00 can land anyone a much higher level bass. I guess it depends on what you like.
[/quote]

what is it you don't like about them? $800 isn't so high, doesn't even get you most of the fenders.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1496436949' post='3311510']

what is it you don't like about them? $800 isn't so high, doesn't even get you most of the fenders.
[/quote]

It looks like a nice bass from the demos. I guess I'm too "old school".

Sire doesn't resonate with me as a high end bass. More of a mid-range bass trying to be high end. I could be wrong, I am not a Sire expert.

I do think you could find a used American Fender P for $800.00. But how good would it be? I just don't know.

Your talking to a guy who has a Gibson Gold Top Les Paul bass and a Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 bass in his bedroom that I hardly ever play or gig with. And both were priced way North of 2 grand. That should tell you how much I know. Very little.

Blue

Edited by blue

My brother purchased a Sire V7 some time back and these are the best bang for buck bass on the market IMO. Fit and finish is top notch. The neck is a dream to play and the 7.25" has quite an old school feel. The active electronics are very usable and the only down side was that I found it quite heavy, so not for me. Guess I have been spoiled by my US Sadowsky which comes in a tad over 7 pound weight. However I would have no hesitation in recommending the Sire. Terrific bass IMO

Edited by leroydiamond

The UK price of a Sire V7, imported from Thomann (Germany) with the weakest Pound I remember is is around £400. A US Fender would set you back about three times that.

Here, this is in the same price range as Mexican Fenders and Squiers - and look to be far better value basses. I suppose a US Fender is much cheaper in the States and the Sire is more expensive.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1496449361' post='3311601']
Cheapest new Fender USA from Guitar Center is $1099. Mexican Fenders start at $599,top Sire bass costs same as mid range Deluxe Mexican basses at $850 mark.
[/quote]

Used is the way to go. There's only 1 person who knows your playing a used bass, and that person is you.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496465774' post='3311623']
You need to remember this is a PR exercise to attract new punters to his Bass lessons academy. So, IMHO these are great basses for someone who is starting at the lower end and learning.
[/quote]

So far, it hasn't attracted me. I've looked at a few of Scott's clips but Internet tutoring is not for me. I appreciate the value of video clips but I choose not to be a subscriber. Instead I graze on freely available material. In addition I have an affordable mentor locally who helps me sort the chaff from the grain.

I am not one for competitions. It would have to be a prize that I am actively in search of at the time of the competition and even then I'd think two or three times about it before entering. On the other hand, I think Scott's Sire give-aways are more relevant prizes to offer his subscribers than I see in a lot of online competitions.

Speaking of promotional competitions, I often wondered how folk cope with the bundle that Channel 5's Gadget Show gives away every week. Later competitions feature a period of free storage as one of the prize items. That must be necessary to give "winners" a chance to cope with the mountain of packaging let alone cope with getting familiar with all the stuff that they want you to have in your house!

Edited by SpondonBassed

I had a Sire bass and it genuinely was amazing, I just didn't like the fact it was a 5 string. I also felt the active circuit was over- engineered.

I'm not a musical snob even though I have the best part of a house deposit tied up in my basses. Personally I think these Sires are the best basses I've ever played at this end of the market.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1496468912' post='3311630']

So far, it hasn't attracted me. I've looked at a few of Scott's clips but Internet tutoring is not for me. I appreciate the value of video clips but I choose not to be a subscriber. Instead I graze on freely available material. In addition I have an affordable mentor locally who helps me sort the chaff from the grain.

I am not one for competitions. It would have to be a prize that I am actively in search of at the time of the competition and even then I'd think two or three times about it before entering. On the other hand, I think Scott's Sire give-aways are more relevant prizes to offer his subscribers than I see in a lot of online competitions.

Speaking of promotional competitions, I often wondered how folk cope with the bundle that Channel 5's Gadget Show gives away every week. Later competitions feature a period of free storage as one of the prize items. That must be necessary to give "winners" a chance to cope with the mountain of packaging let alone cope with getting familiar with all the stuff that they want you to have in your house!
[/quote]
His paid-for lessons are very significantly better than the earlier clips on YouTube.

But what got me with the previous bass giveaways he's done is, he shows the basses to all the current members saying "you can win this". Then, strangely, they all seem to go to new members on a 14-day trial who you never seem to hear of again.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496474899' post='3311684']
His paid-for lessons are very significantly better than the earlier clips on YouTube.

But what got me with the previous bass giveaways he's done is, he shows the basses to all the current members saying "you can win this". Then, strangely, they all seem to go to new members on a 14-day trial who you never seem to hear of again.
[/quote]

Yes. It's quite reasonable to expect that. I know that a lot of what I use is just out there as a taster for further tuition on enrolment. On the other hand, I get a wider variety of influence by not tying up my free time with subscriber sites. This place already takes up much of that time!

I just can't get exited about competitions, sorry. I never win them so although I [i]could[/i] care less where the prizes end up it would be difficult to try.

I lie. At BB4, I won a nice set of strings. You should never trust an old fart.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1496468912' post='3311630']

[/quote]

Nor me. I just cannot get on with this online learning thing. I'd rather just learn a piece by ear / tab and sometimes even music ;)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1496485631' post='3311807']

Nor me. I just cannot get on with this online learning thing. I'd rather just learn a piece by ear / tab and sometimes even music ;)
[/quote]
You're not alone. I've not been there in ages. I have gone in a few times this week. It's like a graveyard. It's dead compared to how it used to be.
Scott must be hoping this will get it up and thriving again.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1496485631' post='3311807']

[/quote]

I love online tutorials that are good. Marlow and Scott are a blessing.

We didn't have sh*t back in my day. Lessons, not many were teaching bass. Guitar players teaching bass is what we had.After that it was learning from records, which was a pain in the arse.

Some of you younger guys don't know how good you have it IMO.

Ticks me off to see guys consistently playing parts arse backwards when you can go to YouTube and someone will show you how to play it right.

Blue

Edited by blue