Why become a member? ×

NBD - Gibson Thunderbird

FinnDave

Bought [color="#1d2129"][size=3]Rhysyjob's Gibson Thunderbird from him today. I've always wanted a Thunderbird, and have nearly bought an Epiphanyseveral times, but always held off as I just knew I'd sell it later for a Gibson, but they're are usually a bit expensive for me. So this absolutely perfect 5 year old bass was too good a chance to pass up.[/size][/color]

[color="#1d2129"][size=3]Thunderbirds obviously look incredible, nothing looks as good in my opinion, but I hadn't realised until I got home and plugged it in how good they sound! This one will be a keeper for sure, and will be getting its feet wet at its first gig tonight.[/size][/color]

[color="#1d2129"][size=3]Obligatory picture below. I'll try to get some of me playing at our gig tonight (or tomorrow's) and post later.[/size][/color]

[attachment=246500:IMG_0804.jpg]

[quote name='irvined' timestamp='1496409450' post='3311206']
I'll try and drop into the Bell tonight and have a look (and listen)

Regards,

Doug
[/quote]

Great stuff, come and say hello. I'm easy to find!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1496427668' post='3311408']
Nice one Dave, they`re really nice sounding basses, and look uber-cool as well.
[/quote]

Cheers, Lozz, they really do have 'the look', and the sound is something else. I took the T Bird and 'our' Jazz bass as a back up. The Jazz stayed in its case al night! Fabulous rich sound everywhere I stood, it just seemed to fill the venue with bass. The amp was only turned up about 25%!

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1496429574' post='3311433']
Nice score there! I remember gigging mine for the first time, it sounded suitably seismic and band mates looking round mouthing "what the bloody hell are you doing?" :D
[/quote]

That was pretty much how tonight's gig went!

[quote name='irvined' timestamp='1496409450' post='3311206']
I'll try and drop into the Bell tonight and have a look (and listen)

Regards,

Doug
[/quote]

Good to meet you last night, thanks for coming along.

Cheers, Dave

Thank you, Doug, it was good to meet you. Never the best place to chat though, too much to do getting set up for the gig. Glad you enjoyed it. The bass behaved very well on its first ever gig, too!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1496794920' post='3313943']
Nevertheless, strapping on a T-bird feels a bit like climbing into a sports car- you assume the position then try to tame the beast!

Enjoy the new ride, looks very cool. :)
[/quote]

I like that! I replaced our sports car with a newer one two days before I bought the T-bird, so the connection works for me!

• 4 months later...

I've just taken the plunge and bought (well, traded to be exact) a T-bird that looks just like the OP's. It should arrive tomorrow and I must say that I am ridiculously excited! They look utterly awesome, and I think (hope) that the sound and look will work really well in my current band.

Reports to follow... :)

Well done, that one had been gnawing away at me for months! I have recently discovered a way round my injuries to allow me to play a modified finger style, so my pick playing days may well be numbered. Then I will discover whether the 'birds are any good played that way.

I took my (epi - the one with the gibson pickups) thunderbird to a gig the other day - don't normally gig it as I don't really play 4 strings (and messed up a bit because of it!) but afterwards the singer said 'wow that bass is long' (he stands next to me at the head end) and the guitarist said 'that sounds great, really fat'.