Why become a member? ×

New Strap Recommendations

BigRedX

I'm looking for a new strap for my Warwick StarBass.

I'd like one of those with a wide bit (at least 2" wide) and a skinny bit (1") where it attaches to the strap lock behind the heel.

It needs to be at least 57" long from strap lock to strap lock (with some adjustment)

Now here is the bit that I'm finding hard get - the wide bit needs to be at least 45" long (but no more than 50") so that it definitely covers my shoulder when the bass is strapped on. Nearly all the straps I can find have a shorter wide bit unless the whole strap is stupidly long.

I would like a constant adjustment range so that I can get the bass at exactly the right height, but I don't want any big metal buckles on it.

Plain black with some extra padding where the strap crosses the shoulder would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks for you recommendations. I have had to send an enquiry to both manufacturers since they don't list all the relevant measurements on their site - especially the length of the wide part of the strap which IMO is essential since that is the bit that needs to extend comfortably over the shoulder of anyone using the strap. My current strap has the this part ending just at the point where my shoulder is taking the full weight of the bass and this coupled with the rather bulky strap length altering mechanism makes it very uncomfortable to wear now that my stage gear no longer includes a padded leather biker jacket. Which is why I'm wanting to replace my current strap.

Also the Righton Straps site contact form reverts to Spanish if you make a mistake entering any of the information, which doesn't make it the easiest to fill in.

Edited by BigRedX

I've just had a reply from Righton Straps. Unfortunately the wide part of their strap is only 92 cm long, whereas I need something between 114 and 127 cm long, otherwise the wide part of the strap doesn't go over my shoulder and take the weight of the bass.

92 cm long for the wide part of the strap seems to be very short... Am I doing something wrong?

Hi - it depends how low you play the bass. If you need over a meter between the back of your shoulder and the horn of the bass, then it seems (to me) like you have your bass quite low? A picture of you playing may determine this.

Edited by five-string.co.uk

[quote name='five-string.co.uk' timestamp='1497035441' post='3315523']
Hi - it depends how low you play the bass. If you need over a meter between the back of your shoulder and the horn of the bass, then it seems (to me) like you have your bass quite low? A picture of you playing may determine this.
[/quote]

It turns out that I am wearing the strap in reverse from the way it is intended to be used.

However because of the design of the Warwick StarBass I need to have the narrow part of the strap going to the strap button on the heal, because attaching a full width strap at that point is just too chunky and obtrusive.

I've had a good conversation with Righton Straps and they have suggested try their "Slim" strap. I'd rather try and find something that will work the way I'd like first though.

Harvest haven't even bothered to reply to my email enquiry.