Why become a member? ×

VK or Berg setup? HELP MEEEEEE! (please)

Jumanji

Howdy y'all.

I currently own a TC RH450/210 Combo. I find that in larger venues I'm cranking it up to be more audible out front and it looses definition. I'm toying with the idea of bigger air movers and an amp, and I've come to these two...

I'm struggling to decide between a Vanderkley setup and a Bergantino setup.
My heart says Vanderkley and my back says Bergantino. There's a few kg's difference in favour of the Berg gear, which appeals long term. I'm out playing most weekends, sometimes 3 times a weekend, so weight is important. Having said that, I will be using a trolley/folding sack barrow to transport from the car to stage, so I can get by.

The reviews of each are very strong. So how do I decide?
It's not like it's particularly easy to try this stuff out side by side either... I live in Norwich so there's no bass shops around, nor is there a music shop that stocks this stuff.

I've been looking at reasons to go for different size cabs. Is it a pair of 112's for versatility? A single 212? or even the 210LNT appeals because of its physical size to power handling. Obviously the Spartan amp has more headroom, and so maybe the VK 210 is the way to go.

Let's assume I'm going to get either a Spartan and 212MNT or B|Amp and HDN212...
Any wise words or definitive reasons to pick either? Obviously both are high end setups. The price difference is about £50 (before shipping/postage from wherever I get it from), so only a pinch extra for the VK gear. Is there a pinch of knowledge out there that might help sway my decision?

Thanks and PLEASE HELP! My brain hurts.

Edited by Jumanji

It's difficult to advise which of the two high end cabs would be best for you.
All I can say is that I'm very happy with my VdK 112ext. It's "only" 300 watts but untill now it has proven to be sufficient for the rather small venues I play.
Might we need more bass volume I would not hesitate to order another 112ext on Marc. This would use the full potential of the LMIII and I'm pretty sure this would cover all my needs.

I sold on my Berg cn212 for a 210LNT.
I think the 210 is louder fuller more articulate and lighter. The LNT has a huge sound for such a tiny cab. The Spartan is no doubt great but sounds like it may be overkill for your needs? For reference I run a Magellan 800 through my LNT and can't imagine needing push to its limits.

I used Bergs for nearly 10 years and would recommend them in an instant.

On the other hand. . . . have you thought about adding another cab to your combo? Bass Direct has a used TC RS112. I know a guy with that rig (TC 210 and 112) and he is pretty loud.