Why become a member? ×

Filling a gap around pickups

Osiris

I recently changed the P pickup in my cheap and cheerful Peavey Zodiac for a Dimarzio Model P but the cream colour on the white body highlights the large routing around the pickup lugs. Is there a quick and easy way to fill these so it doesn't look too obvious?

I was thinking along the lines of some white silicone bathroom sealant, would that do it? It doesn't need to be a professional job, I'd be happy with something that just makes it less obvious.

[attachment=246501:P1040422.JPG]

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1496412731' post='3311255']
I wouldn't bother. And certainly not silicone...

Would the cheapy cover off the old pickup not slot over the dimarzio?
[/quote]

Why not use silicone, out of interest?

I thought about changing the covers, but the Dimarzio's covers look like they're glued on (or at least have been sealed with something) so I didn't want to start pulling anything apart as it'll probably do more damage than good.

The glue holding on the covers looks just like [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/vinatge-dimarzio-model-p-creme.437417/"]these [/url](second picture down). It seems to be a sealed unit to me.

Aesthetics are down to personal taste, I really like the mismatched look :)

They aren't exactly sealed as it looks like some hot glue that'll come off with a bit of patience but if i was you i would leave there. the gap doesn't look bad in my eyes so if it doesn't affect your playing i would also leave it like that. Applying silicone there would give you a handfull of issues in the future if you need to remove or adjust the pickups in some way. I think that black outline works well with the black layer of the PG and in some way even with the black J.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1496414438' post='3311273']
I thought if the gap is about 1mm all around, the old covers might slide over the dimarzio cream covers.

And the Silicone will just be a bit of a bodge...

But.

It's your bass ����
[/quote]

The gap around the actual 'body' of the pickup is minimal, it's a good fit in the bass, it's just around the lugs where the screws are that there's an unsightly gap. That being the case, there isn't room to slide to original black covers over the cream ones, unfortunately.

Yes, the silicone would be a total bodge but easily reversible if it looks crap!

Edited by Osiris

http://www.screwfix.com/p/polycell-trade-polyfilla-all-purpose-ready-mix-filler-white-2kg/29114?kpid=29114&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=CjwKEAjwvMnJBRCO2NSu-Puc6AUSJAAf-OSU92uy-j9vKcqo4-AczK_tUKyb3uX-O5YcdJzal9BDjxoCmnXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN-Q1-ufodQCFSgh0wodkHcIdQ

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496478248' post='3311710']
[url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/polycell-trade-polyfilla-all-purpose-ready-mix-filler-white-2kg/29114?kpid=29114&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=CjwKEAjwvMnJBRCO2NSu-Puc6AUSJAAf-OSU92uy-j9vKcqo4-AczK_tUKyb3uX-O5YcdJzal9BDjxoCmnXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN-Q1-ufodQCFSgh0wodkHcIdQ"]http://www.screwfix....CFSgh0wodkHcIdQ[/url]
[/quote]

2 Kilo's ought to do it :lol:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1496487078' post='3311820']
Bertbass can make you a cover on a waterjet - you'd have to send him template - sure it would be a better solution and won't cost the Earth.
[/quote]

Do you mean something like a bespoke plastic (or similar material) insert? That sounds like the sort of thing that could work.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1496519188' post='3312107']
Pick up cover or scratchplate type thing - he was making headstock design lights - made me a GB Rumour style one - I'm pretty sure he could make you something to do the job.

I suggest you PM him to discuss..
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll drop him a line shortly.

Filling that gap will never be a good idea. It'll probably not look great without a lot of work and if you ever need to replace the pickup you'll curse. A lot.

If replacing the pickup covers is not an option, and it looks like it would be risky in your case... do you really need those pickups? I'd choose another set that sounds good which you can replace pickup covers on. There's lots of pickups out there that would fit the bill and look just right.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1496414052' post='3311269']
The glue holding on the covers looks just like [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/vinatge-dimarzio-model-p-creme.437417/"]these [/url](second picture down). It seems to be a sealed unit to me.

Aesthetics are down to personal taste, I really like the mismatched look :)
[/quote]

Yeah those pickup covers come off. A bit of patience and care is all that is needed.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497182649' post='3316332']
Filling that gap will never be a good idea. It'll probably not look great without a lot of work and if you ever need to replace the pickup you'll curse. A lot.

If replacing the pickup covers is not an option, and it looks like it would be risky in your case... do you really need those pickups? I'd choose another set that sounds good which you can replace pickup covers on. There's lots of pickups out there that would fit the bill and look just right.
[/quote]

It doesn't need to be a pro job and it certainly isn't worth spending much, if any, money on as it's only my stunt bass.
The pickups sound great so I don't really see a lot of point replacing them for something else just so that I can change the covers, as it really isn't worth spending the money on what is a relatively inexpensive bass to begin with.

I managed to find some white high density foam that I've cut to size and pushed into the gaps. It's far from a professional job but is was cheap (i.e. free), quick to do and easily reversible. And while it obviously doesn't solve the problem, it makes things much less obvious (you can only really notice it now if you look closely) which is good enough for me :lol:

Edited by Osiris