Why become a member? ×

Single 112 for gigging. Is it realistic?

Jumanji

Obvisously a 112 isn't going to suit all situations, but for most pubs, clubs and smaller wedding venues it will be fine, assuming you can pump a little through the PA.

What's the most powerful 112 cab/amp option out there?

I'm in danger of becoming a stuck record (for those of us who can remember life before CDs and streaming), but just wrote this on another thread and seems to also be relevant to your Q:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/306621-affordable-full-range-combo/

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496417193' post='3311300']
+1 to the comments on the MB 121 AC Lite (and the 121 H which is pretty similar - except the AC 121 delivers 500W alone without an extension cab). I've been gigging with the 121 AC Lite for last 3 years and it's never let me down or failed to cut through the mix. At 36lbs it doesn't require a fork lift truck. Really nice easy to use VPF and VLE EQs for tone sculpting. I have a couple of passionate "separates" buddies on BC who have been trying to persuade me to forgo the convenience, carefully matched head and cab and aesthetic appeal of a combo, but failing abysmally to come up with something under £1k that can sensibly better this as a quality piece of gear.

My MB 121 AC Lite is generally transparent but with warmth and doesn't mask the tone of the bass with too much of its own colour in the way that some other amps are prone to do.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In terms of the wise saying - "Compact/light, inexpensive, good sounding. Pick two". Well if £600 second hand is your budget then this hits all three :)[/font]
[/quote]

I tried a MB 121 combo on its own for a gig, and found it wasn't up to the job. On the other hand, I've played an RAF hangar with a BF BB2 and a Streamliner and it was fine power-wise...YMMV, IMHO, etc, etc.

I think you'll find it's a very relative question...

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1496420704' post='3311327']
I was fine with my MB 121 combo. I even sold a 15" extension cab as I never used it. But I was usually DI'd through a chuffing big PA.
[/quote]

Yup, that's the key - I didn't have much PA support - it's a question of how much of what...the function band I'm in have dispensed with backline altogether, so I'm 100% through the PA/in-ears...

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496420752' post='3311328']
I hope a 112 is up to the job, i've recently ordered a Super Compact to use as an alternative to my Super Twin at smaller gigs.
[/quote]

Given that in my other band I run a Super Twin up against two JCM100/4x12 guitards, and it easily holds its own (without PA), if there was one 12 (other than the BB2) I'd have confidence in to deliver in a lot of circumstances, it'd be a Super Compact...

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496420752' post='3311328']
I hope a 112 is up to the job, i've recently ordered a Super Compact to use as an alternative to my Super Twin at smaller gigs.
[/quote]

Don't think you will be disappointed Dave :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1496423479' post='3311362']
Don't think you will be disappointed Dave :)
[/quote]

I'll be very surprised if I have reason to be! My Super Twin has been my constant companion at gigs since I bought it, and it was the first one off the 'production line'. Just physically a bit big for some of the more 'intimate' venues we play. Tonight will be a Super Twin night!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1496420439' post='3311324']
I tried a MB 121 combo on its own for a gig, and found it wasn't up to the job. On the other hand, I've played an RAF hangar with a BF BB2 and a Streamliner and it was fine power-wise...YMMV, IMHO, etc, etc.

I think you'll find it's a very relative question...
[/quote]

Be interested in which of the MB 121 combos you were using? The only one I'd be a little hesitant in using in a gig situation (without an extension cab) would be the CMD 121p, but the 121 H or 121 AC (especially the latter with its 500W stand alone capacity) should easily deliver the goods in a pub / club venue.

I used to gig with either a compact or a midget (or both, or two midgets.....) anyway I'm sure that the super compact will be up to the job if your band is sensible pub rock or quieter.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496419368' post='3311317']
I'm in danger of becoming a stuck record (for those of us who can remember life before CDs and streaming), but just wrote this on another thread and seems to also be relevant to your Q:

[/quote]

I've yet to find a combo that can beat the AC Combo as a single standalone unit for gigging.

Full 500w into the main driver and a further 300 into the compression horn plus loads of tone shaping if you need it and you can carry it easily in one hand and dump it in the boot of most cars too.

I wish the newer one hadn't been quite so heavy, I love the idea of adding the mid driver as well but the extra weight knocks it out of my 'easy one handed lift' category.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1496425511' post='3311383']
I've yet to find a combo that can beat the AC Combo as a single standalone unit for gigging.

Full 500w into the main driver and a further 300 into the compression horn plus loads of tone shaping if you need it and you can carry it easily in one hand and dump it in the boot of most cars too.

I wish the newer one hadn't been quite so heavy, I love the idea of adding the mid driver as well but the extra weight knocks it out of my 'easy one handed lift' category.
[/quote]

The older and lighter "AC Lite" model - which you and I both seem to so highly regard (and which you were instrumental in me getting, I recall :) ) is still very much available. I've never really needed to turn it up to more than 5/12 to get all the volume I've wanted in live performance even in packed venues.

The newer K1 combo is definitely a bigger brother with 600W standalone and 1000W with extension cab. But still 12" speaker though, which I guess is very relevant to this thread. Walbassist is completely delighted with his. (And clearly has a better back than I do!) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/303257-markbass-k1-combo-the-new-king-on-the-block/page__st__30__p__3288145__hl__k1__fromsearch__1#entry3288145"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3288145[/url]

Edited by Al Krow

A 112 will more than likely be loud enough once you get to the higher wattage amps, but whether or not the sound is full enough for you depends probably on music style and the other instruments/amps in the band.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1496427031' post='3311401']
A 112 will more than likely be loud enough once you get to the higher wattage amps, but whether or not the sound is full enough for you depends probably on music style and the other instruments/amps in the band.
[/quote]
That's a very good point. I mostly play in popular music function bands with the occasional pub-rock. Usually one guitar and keyboard, so not lots to battle against. I'm considering the Vanderkley Spartan... not cheap I know, but why the heck not hey?!

Edited by Jumanji

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496419368' post='3311317']

[/quote]

A stuck record, maybe. Still a good point you've made in that other thread.
I don't really neeeeeed a bigger setup 100% of the time, but it's for the times when I wished I'd gone bigger!
I really REALLY like the convenience of a combo amp, but would something as small as the AC do so well in a larger venue?

[quote name='Jumanji' timestamp='1496438434' post='3311526']
I don't really neeeeeed a bigger setup 100% of the time, but it's for the times when I wished I'd gone bigger!
I really REALLY like the convenience of a combo amp, but would something as small as the AC do so well in a larger venue?
[/quote]

Hi Jumanji (good film btw!). I totally agree about the convenience of combos!! The AC 121 delivers 500W by itself with no extension cab (in fact it's not designed to have an extension cab). I've never come close to needing to push it to full volume even with 200+ in the audience.

How big a venue are thinking of?

Edited by Al Krow

I you are looking at the spartan and sometimes need a little more than a 112 then it is worth looking at the 210LNT. It is an astonishing good cabinet...

[/quote]

Edited by IanA

[/quote]
Go modular. A combo with an extension cab or, IMO better still, an amp with 2 112 cabs.

I have an 800 watt amp and a 500 watt amp and 2 112 cabs. That gives me a choice of 4 different rigs.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496439177' post='3311529']

Hi Jumanji (good film btw!). I totally agree about the convenience of combos!! The AC 121 delivers 500W by itself with no extension cab (in fact it's not designed to have an extension cab). I've never come close to needing to push it to full volume even with 200+ in the audience.

[/quote]

Yes, great film!!
I'm thinking of large wedding venues. Barns and the dreaded marquees! My current TC combo 450 often sounds feeble anywhere other than on stage. So I'm just wondering if a more powerful 112 could be capable of doing any better.

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1496439269' post='3311530']
I you are looking at the spartan and sometimes need a little more than a 112 then it is worth looking at the 210LNT. It is an astonishing good cabinet...
[/quote]

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear! Obviously the Spartan has more beef than my current RH450, so matched with the 210LNT I think is a great idea. But I do like the modular idea... I must learn to multiquote.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496440193' post='3311539']

Go modular. A combo with an extension cab or, IMO better still, an amp with 2 112 cabs.

I have an 800 watt amp and a 500 watt amp and 2 112 cabs. That gives me a choice of 4 different rigs.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good way to look at it.

The problem I have is that if I have 2 x 112 cabs, most of the venues would suit just one of them and so the other would sit disused. If I can find one speaker and amp that covers everything, it would always get used! ... (I'm thinking/typing out loud here). Then again, I also (like everyone else) like lightweight gear. I'm young enough that my back is ok, but I know enough older musicians and their spine pains to avoid heavy cabs.

My heart says get a 212... future me says get two lighter cabs and stick them together!

I did it! I multi-quoted!!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496440193' post='3311539']

[/quote]

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1496439269' post='3311530']
[/quote]

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496439177' post='3311529']

[/quote]