Why become a member? ×

Single 112 for gigging. Is it realistic?

Jumanji

[quote name='Jumanji' timestamp='1496441559' post='3311550']
The problem I have is that if I have 2 x 112 cabs, most of the venues would suit just one of them and so the other would sit disused.
[/quote]

I find I mostly use both 112's because they sound so much better together. On the 5% of gigs where I only need 1 112 then that works too.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496442418' post='3311556']

I find I mostly use both 112's because they sound so much better together. On the 5% of gigs where I only need 1 112 then that works too.
[/quote]

What cabs and amp are you using?
I'm getting closer to this option. EEEK!
Then I start thinking, "why not just get a 212". My TC combo weighs 26kg. Any of the lightweight 212's I've been looking at are no more than that, but that's still quite heavy for a small person like me. So I say to myself, "well just get a the 210LNT!".. but that's not as versatile as having a pair of 112's... THEN I start thinking... you get the idea.

[quote name='Jumanji' timestamp='1496440721' post='3311541']
Yes, great film!!
I'm thinking of large wedding venues. Barns and the dreaded marquees! My current TC combo 450 often sounds feeble anywhere other than on stage. So I'm just wondering if a more powerful 112 could be capable of doing any better.
[/quote]

Sounds like you might need a Super Combo: https://www.thomann.de/gb/markbass_cmd_super_combo_k1.htm Comes with a super price. Walbassist loves his.

But if 450W is not getting you there, then you probably do need to think about either an extension cab as chris_b has suggested or separate head and cabs. But remember that if want to go twice as loud you will need 10x the increase in wattage. So how about a Carvin 2000W head and a couple of 2x12 Berg cabs and a Dark Glass Alpha Omega Pedal to round it off?

For what it's worth, I went back to a 212 because I never used the 112s separately. The 212 is about 25kg, so not awful. There are times where the easier carry would be nice. But I'm not desperate to go back to separates.

That depends on your transport and health though I guess! Having one bigger cab is more of a pain at home than out at a gig actually.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='Jumanji' timestamp='1496443639' post='3311566']
What cabs and amp are you using?[/quote]

These days I favour my Aguilar TH500 and 2 Barefaced Super Compacts. Before that I used the TH500 with a Berg CN212. I prefer the separates because they are lighter (I have a bad back) and I can use 1 if that's all I need.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496443650' post='3311567']

Sounds like you might need a Super Combo: https://www.thomann.de/gb/markbass_cmd_super_combo_k1.htm Comes with a super price. Walbassist loves his.

But if 450W is not getting you there, then you probably do need to think about either an extension cab as chris_b has suggested or separate head and cabs. But remember that if want to go twice as loud you will need 10x the increase in wattage. So how about a Carvin 2000W head and a couple of 2x12 Berg cabs and a Dark Glass Alpha Omega Pedal to round it off?
[/quote]

Super combo looks ace. I'll check out some demos. Pretty sure my local PMT can get them in too. Thanks!

Ha!.. I don't need to be twice as loud. Would just like a little more oomph when there's a lack of sub woofer in the PA.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496444323' post='3311572']
These days I favour my Aguilar TH500 and 2 Barefaced Super Compacts. Before that I used the TH500 with a Berg CN212. I prefer the separates because they are lighter (I have a bad back) and I can use 1 if that's all I need.
[/quote]

Ok. Thanks for that. I'll do some more research into these.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1496444088' post='3311570']
For what it's worth, I went back to a 212 because I never used the 112s separately. The 212 is about 25kg, so not awful. There are times where the easier carry would be nice. But I'm not desperate to go back to separates.

That depends on your transport and health though I guess! Having one bigger cab is more of a pain at home than out at a gig actually.
[/quote]

These are all things I've been thinking about. Including where can I hide a 212 at home?!?
The other thing is that a pair of 112's (especially the ones I've been looking at) are way more expensive than a single 212.
I still haven't totally discounted the 210LNT.

Damn and blast this is hard!!

Whilst I own 2 Berg HD112s, I generally only use 1 at a time. I have two for loud gigs, or want the extra trouser flappage. I have never felt quiet or lost with one Berg in a 5pc covers band or a 10pc Rhythm and Blues band.

I used to run the typical MB head, now using an SWR Studio 220. This doesn't have the headroom of the MB, but much more character to the tone.

I do use PA support on big stages, but not for 80-85% of my gigs in pubs/clubs/venues.

Without wanting to reheat several old topics at once, it definitely depends what the gear is - the driver, the amp, etc. Perhaps to ask as broad a question as 'is 1x12 enough' is probably too wide a question. But hey, it makes for good discussion!

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1496447365' post='3311593']
Without wanting to reheat several old topics at once, it definitely depends what the gear is - the driver, the amp, etc. Perhaps to ask as broad a question as 'is 1x12 enough' is probably too wide a question. But hey, it makes for good discussion!
[/quote]

Yeah I couldn't find an exact thread that matched this very broad question. I just wanted to get the opinion of some of you lot to check I wasn't being completely stupid! I'm glad using a single 112 is somthing that others do, and have also considered.

I'm leaning towards the modular idea, BUT....

I suppose the question is narrowing a bit now though... Can a 112 be more than enough, and therefor, will I ever use the second 112?

I've replaced a 3-way 212 cab with a 3 way Fearless F112. It can pump out some serious sound and I've filled some rooms without PA support that I didn't think possible. The only caveat is you need a powerful amp, something like an GK MB800. I've toyed with getting a second made but haven't found the need yet.

A "standard" 112 might be enough, but it depends on how loud you're playing, what tone you want, what rooms you're playing in and how often do you get FOH. A better 112 will be clearer, more defined and sound better whilst being able to go louder maintaining a better tone and are more likely to carry the room on it's own. 2 "standard" 112's will sound much better than 1 and 2 "good" 112's will cover any playing situation and sound fantastic in the process.

The only cons I know is that 2 112's will cost more than a 212. I'd keep an eye on the classifieds until something you want comes up.

The same comments apply to 210 cabs, except 1 210 would go a little louder than a 112. IMO a good 112 would sound better than an OK 210.

2 210's would still sound better than 1 cab. If you want to look at 115's, that's another area, but again the good ones will sound better and go louder.

A good 112, 210 or any 115 would probably be a 1 cab solution for most people. Buy 8 ohm cabs and you can add another if you decide you need the extra oompf. A good cab will make a good amp sound fantastic. IMO it's worth the extra to buy "good" gear.

Go and see some bands playing locally. Talk to the bass player and ask him about his gear.

I'd say go for 2 112's. I use GK MB500 with Berg CN212. It does the job so well, can produce obscene amount of omphhh. Used it for hard rock band to acoustic gigs. It's done so well but sometimes for acoustic gigs I wished I have a 112 as 212 just too big for that kind of setup.

TKS 1126 for me. I only have one and I'm not sure I'd ever need 2 for anything other than aesthetic reasons - obviously depends on what kind of music/band you're dealing with. These things can seriously drink power though and pump out major lows so make sure you've got sufficient wattage to feed it! I'm running an 800watt head into mine @ 8 Ohms. The cab itself is somewhat bigger than most 112s though, mostly due to the added 6 inch driver but IMO it's worth it for the sound you get as a result.

But ignore my suggestion for a moment - how are you going to be transporting your rig usually? If you drive then 2 cabs isn't THAT much more inconvenient than 2, assuming the parking situation is decent at the venues you play. If you're in any way reliant on public transport then I'd be tempted to suggest sticking with just the one cab, even if it's a heavier box (i.e. more drivers). Although I'm kinda speaking from my own somewhat specific experience of being 6'7" meaning that wearing my bass on my back is a no-no due to doorframee heights. So I only ever have one hand free to carry anything other than my bass. Your mileage is likely to vary!

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1496482927' post='3311765']
TKS 1126 for me. I only have one and I'm not sure I'd ever need 2 for anything other than aesthetic reasons - obviously depends on what kind of music/band you're dealing with. These things can seriously drink power though and pump out major lows so make sure you've got sufficient wattage to feed it! I'm running an 800watt head into mine @ 8 Ohms. The cab itself is somewhat bigger than most 112s though, mostly due to the added 6 inch driver but IMO it's worth it for the sound you get as a result.

[/quote]

I love my TKS1126/Quilter BB800 combination. I gigged with 2 the other day and it was monstrous but I have never [b][i]needed[/i][/b] to use more than 1.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496442418' post='3311556']

[/quote]
Me too. One of my Purple Chili cabs would easily be enough for my gigs but I do like the fullness (and yes, shallow I know, the look) of the two together.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1496484945' post='3311794']
I use 2 x TC - RS112 currently. I use both for almost all gigs, but I only ever use one for practicing. I do often think of getting a 2x12 or 2x10 to go with one of the 112s, but nothing turned up in the right time and place.
[/quote]

Same here. 2 x RS112's are doing the job well in a lot of contexts, although I've always had PA backup, even if I hadn't needed it. I'd say modular is a very good bet - you always have options and they fit wonderfully in the boot of my car. I found both my cabs for under £200 - less than half one brand new one.

Also, two cabs brings the sound closer to ear level, which is always helpful. The only pitfall I've found with a 1x12 is that the sound goes straight underneath you. I'm not sure if other people have experience with this (I'd love to know) but I'm toying with the idea of having one cab on the floor and then another elevated or angled toward me. Thinking of a Hovis best of both solution. That something more achievable with 2 1x12's than with single 1x12 or 2x12 cab.

As mentioned in an earlier thread; I gig with a LMIII and one VdK112ext which I put on a quiklok tilt stand.
Untill now I have not been in a situation where I was afraid of not having sufficient volume. For home practicing I really have to keep the master a mm level.
My wife encouraged me to order another 112 to complete the stack. Mainly because I stated that the rig would then be ready for almost anything.
But as said I have not been missing anything sofar so why should I spend the money if there is no real reason.
Might I join a louder band I can always order a second cab. Supply time is not that long for VdK's.

[quote name='Jumanji' timestamp='1496418217' post='3311308']
Obvisously a 112 isn't going to suit all situations, but for most pubs, clubs and smaller wedding venues it will be fine, assuming you can pump a little through the PA.

What's the most powerful 112 cab/amp option out there?
[/quote]
Thrash metal or country dancing?
What you're playing MUST make a difference?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496565003' post='3312270']
Thrash metal or country dancing?
What you're playing [i][b]MUST[/b][/i] make a difference?
[/quote]

+1000

A good bass sound isn't enough, we need a great bass sound. Do whatever you need to do to sound better than the next guy.