Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a lightweight combo for function work?

DanEly

My current rig is waaaay to big (Fender neo 610 + a super Bassman) for function work so, I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight, relatively cheap and fairly sized combo. I was thinking of trying to pick up a second hand Markbass CMD102 combo but I have never really got on with MB. It would have to be able to hold it's own without PA support on the odd occasion.

What are you guys using?

Well I`ve not got one, but have read much about them (and nothing bad to date), and heard one last week and the tone was incredible, a Fender Rumble. You already use Fender amps, why not check out the Rumble, I was really impressed with the sound.

The best lightweight combo you'll ever find is an AER Bottom line series and especially the Amp One, but it's not cheap at all even if it's worth the money. They sometimes show for sale on the secondhand market...

Markbass AC 121 Lite. Here's two posts on this from a couple of other current threads. I'd probably go so far as to say you need look no further in terms of the best combo for < £1K - I certainly haven't found one. Blows the AER series out of the water in terms of providing ample headroom.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496417193' post='3311300']
+1 to the comments on the MB 121 AC Lite (and the 121 H which is pretty similar - except the AC 121 delivers 500W alone without an extension cab). I've been gigging with the 121 AC Lite for last 3 years and it's never let me down or failed to cut through the mix. At 36lbs it doesn't require a fork lift truck. Really nice easy to use VPF and VLE EQs for tone sculpting. I have a couple of passionate "separates" buddies on BC who have been trying to persuade me to forgo the convenience, carefully matched head and cab and aesthetic appeal of a combo, but failing abysmally to come up with something under £1k that can sensibly better this as a quality piece of gear.

My MB 121 AC Lite is generally transparent but with warmth and doesn't mask the tone of the bass with too much of its own colour in the way that some other amps are prone to do.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In terms of the wise saying - "Compact/light, inexpensive, good sounding. Pick two". Well if £600 second hand is your budget then this hits all three :)[/font]
[/quote]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1496426351' post='3311392']
I love mine - and I've tried a LOT of supposedly gig-worthy combos :)

I can lift it easily with one hand (and I'm a weakling, lol) and have my bass on the other shoulder and pedal board in the other hand. This means I can always do the trip from my car to a gig in one go.

It's easily loud enough with either passive or active basses, plenty of tone options (that I hardly touch), sounds good as a stage monitor and seems to punch out pretty well into the audience.

It's a fairly dull addition but the mute switch is really handy - many MB amps don't have these.

The separate power amps for the main driver and the horn do seem to help with overall volume and projection. It goes a fair bit louder than the 121H which in itself is a decent jump in quality from the 121P because of the horn vs cheap piezo in P.

I don't always gig my AC combo but it gets a fair bit of use and always goes to rehearsals. In fact it pretty much lives in the boot of my car because it fits so neatly :)

My favourite single piece of kit that MB have ever made!
[/quote]

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1496434590' post='3311489']
Well I`ve not got one, but have read much about them (and nothing bad to date), and heard one last week and the tone was incredible, a Fender Rumble. You already use Fender amps, why not check out the Rumble, I was really impressed with the sound.
[/quote]
Just don't get the old black version with the ridiculous red flashing light thing. I used one with two guitars and a drummer once in a small pub and the thing ran out of puff wound up and sounded like a lorry in a tunnel. Horrid product. I just hope the new silver front version is the one you heard.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496440977' post='3311546']
I'd suggest a Barefaced Super Compact and use your Fender amp. There's a guy on Talkbass who rates this combination very highly.
[/quote]

Agreed. If you intend to keep the 6x10, it makes a lot of sense to get a smaller cab and use it with your existing head and save the big one for larger venues.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1497083811' post='3315695']
You could do a lot worse than a Promethean 2x10... if you can find one.
[/quote]

Looks good, only issue for me is that it weighs in at 55lbs! (And the OP was after a lightweight combo). I wonder if weight was a factor for the lack of sales resulting in Ibanez discontinuing the 5110 series?

I have it's baby brother the Promethean 3110 (just 26lbs) and whilst it is perfectly good for rehearsals and home practice and delivers 300W (either alone or with an extension cab), I'd be reluctant to recommend it for more high end work such as functions where it won't compete for articulation and quality of overall bass sound with higher end combos such as the MB AC 121 which I mentioned above. But there again you wouldn't really expect a £350 combo (Promethean 3110) to be able to go up against a £900 combo (MB AC 121).

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1497898504' post='3321215']
I use a mark bass LMii and a barefaced one ten - bloody loud, sounds great and the whole lot fits in a Cajun bag along with a laptop and an iPad!
[/quote]

You are careful with the hdd and the speaker magnet? Is it an ssd laptop?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1496434590' post='3311489']
[/quote]

Well, I've been using my Fender Rumble V3 500 2x10 combo for quite a while now and I couldn't be happier. I've tried lots of combinations but a passive Jazz into this thing always delivers. I've also got a 2x10 extension cab if required but I've very rarely used it to be honest. Very lightweight - just plug in and play!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1496477551' post='3311703']
Markbass AC 121 Lite. Here's two posts on this from a couple of other current threads. I'd probably go so far as to say you need look no further in terms of the best combo for < £1K - I certainly haven't found one. Blows the AER series out of the water in terms of providing ample headroom.
[/quote]

+1 from me on the [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Markbass AC 121 Lite. I have two, simply perfect for function type work. I normally only use one. Have used two as a monster rig, but one is normally all you need. One handed lift. Sounds great. One of the best sounding [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Markbass amps. Super reliable and gig worthy. [/font][/color]

I've owned a Fender Rumble 500 combo and currently own a Barefaced One10 and I wouldn't use either without PA support. Loud as they are I just don't think they can kick out enough volume for anything but the tiniest of venues to give a decent bass sound without stretching them too far.

A big 4x10" or Barefaced cab with a couple of 12"s is the minimum I'd use with no PA, unless it was a tiny venue and we're not a loud band but you need a decent bass presence.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1498913582' post='3327948']
I've owned a Fender Rumble 500 combo and currently own a Barefaced One10 and I wouldn't use either without PA support. Loud as they are I just don't think they can kick out enough volume for anything but the tiniest of venues to give a decent bass sound without stretching them too far.
[/quote]

That's really interesting and useful feedback.

In theory my MB AC 121 Lite shouldn't be any louder than your Fender Rumble 500, given they are both 500W and I would have thought that the 2x10 speakers on the Rumble would easily match the 1x12 on the MB? But I've never had any concerns about headroom with the MB playing to medium sized venues, and typically never had to push it above 4/12 on gain and 6/12 on master vol. Seems to tie in with Lee-Man's experience above too.

I think this is perfect illustration of one's man's loud being another man's not loud enough. I played a multi-band gig last night, and the LMIII and 210 backline just wasn't enough. PA support picked up the slack, but as backline in that particular environment (cricket club clubhouse), with that particular band, it wasn't enough.

I'm sure it would have been more than enough for another band in another situation.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1498999383' post='3328441']
I think this is perfect illustration of one's man's loud being another man's not loud enough. [/quote]

This is why I don't understand the definitions people use when they post they can fill a room with a 210 or use a 210 with a "hard hitting" drummer! The "hard hitting" drummers I play with require at least 410, 610, 215 or (thankfully these days) 2 Barefaced cab rigs.

Yep - the band was 2 guitars, neither of whom had backline, just into the PA and using monitors, and a drummer I'd describe as not the quietest I've ever played with, but not the loudest, either. The LMII and 210 wasn't enough to monitor onstage - well, there was a vague mushy rumble, but nothing useful. The sound guy hadn't put me in the monitors because I'd technically had backline, and I'm sorry I did. Frustratingly, I had my Super Twin and Walkabout sitting in the boot of the car outside...that'd have done it... :)