Why become a member? ×

Limelight necks - are they as good as they look?

project_c

I want to get a Jazz neck for one of my Precisions, Limelight seems like a better option than a USA Fender right now, how do their necks compare to USA Fender necks? Are they as good? Or closer to MIJ? MIM? They look great, and I love all the relics they do, although I'd just be looking for a vintage-ish tint unmolested maple neck with rolled edges. Wondering about stability, weight, playability etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496476491' post='3311695']
I thought they were just built from off the shelf parts, mighty mite and allparts etc?
[/quote]

Not sure, I know they do additional work on the necks they buy (rolled edges, nitro etc), but i'm not sure where the necks originate from.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496487627' post='3311832']
Could you just pick up a second hand jazz neck from somewhere?
[/quote]

I did have that thought, but the choices are either a USA one for nearly £600 (don't be fooled by the price on Strings Direct, they don't actually have that in stock and probably never will again at that price), a mex one for half that, or something like allparts / unbranded. So if I go down that last route, at least Limelight gives me the nitro / rolled edges option. But I have no experience with Allparts / Mighty Mite, so I'm wondering how they compare to USA Fender necks, if they're not great I might as well buy a used USA Jazz, because it costs nearly the same as a new USA neck & tuning machines.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496521604' post='3312123']
I never thought of that but that's a good idea and probably the cheapest option in an odd way, you could sell the P-Jazz or part it out.
[/quote]

Yeah, the jazz neck would be going on a P body which is currently wearing a '78 fretless maple neck, if I swap them it might just make a really good companion for a Jazz bass. It's not a massive P neck, 41mm nut.

Notice how GAS is turning what I thought was a quick £200 purchase into a convoluted and expensive shopping extravaganza costing nearly a grand, and I 'accidentally' end up with a whole new bass.

Mark at Limelight puts together amazing basses.
I have a lovely P-Bass with a J neck on it and it is my go-to bass in my main band.

Your best bet is to speak directly with Mark as he is a lovely chap.