Why become a member? ×

Rant....... truss-rod covers !!

hamfist

Haven't had a good old moan for a few hours now (on my own) so thought it was a good time to observe on here how utterly annoying it is that so many used basses are for sale without truss rod covers (and yes I am talking about basses that were made to have them). About 1 in 5, to 1 in 10, used basses (especially in my budget range) seem to not have them !

Seriously, what do people do with them. I take mine off once in a blue moon to have a tweak (usually when I first receive a bass), put it back on and thats its.

What the *%&* is going on !

Edited by hamfist

I know how you feel about truss rod covers. I bought a bass that didn't have the truss rod cover. The cover was only available from the manufacturer. One of the dealers for the make of the bass (The Great British Bass Lounge) were superb and got me the right cover even though I had bought the bass on here. They didn't even charge me! All this hassle because someone couldn't be bothered putting the cover back on.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1496517366' post='3312072']
It's the same with trem-spring covers (or whatever you call them) on the backs of guitars. Firstly, why take them off? And secondly, why not put them back on after?
[/quote]

If you believe Eric Johnson - you can hear a tonal difference if the cover is on or off. His signature strat doesn't even come with a cover or holes drilled to add your own!!

[quote name='guitaradam' timestamp='1496649989' post='3312874']
If you believe Eric Johnson - you can hear a tonal difference if the cover is on or off. His signature strat doesn't even come with a cover or holes drilled to add your own!!
[/quote]
Does any strat ever?

[size=1]ᵒʳ ᵈᶦᵈ ᵃ ʲᵒᵏᵉ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᶠˡʸ ᵒᵛᵉʳ ᵐʸ ʰᵉᵃᵈ?[/size]

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1496648507' post='3312857']
I keep my own teaspoon at work!

As for removing the TRC, well I had my reasons (see avatar). The original is safely tucked away though
[/quote]

I tried that (the teaspoon, not the TRC). It lasted two days.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1496702076' post='3313367']
Thank christ, I thought it was just me.
[/quote]

my own teaspoon, mug, and set of cutlery... you just cannot rely on the other people. Now I get people asking to borrow mine because mine are always clean :rolleyes:

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1496517366' post='3312072']
It's the same with trem-spring covers (or whatever you call them) on the backs of guitars. Firstly, why take them off? And secondly, why not put them back on after?
[/quote]

I do that on my two strats. Restringing is quite trickier on mine with the covers on... and I do replace strings a lot more often than on my basses. I do keep the covers and screws safely, but I like my strats without back covers, always have.

As for truss rod covers... again I do prefer basses without them. They look ugly to me... but at least I don't feel the urge to remove them as a truss rod tweak is not something I do often.

I once lost one off my Ibanez Musician at a gig. It seems unlikely that both screws would have fallen out - they never had before or since (I replaced with it with an old bit of bakelite).

I can only assume someone went to the bother of unscrewing it while nobody was looking!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1496506148' post='3311975']
There's a gap in the market someone could fill: bespoke truss rod covers!
[/quote]

There is one that I can think of, and it's owned by a member of this very forum.

I really like the truss rod covers on both of my Ibanez guitars. They don't unscrew, they slide to one side to open then back to close. So simple I wonder why it hasn't caught on elsewhere! I love also that a couple of my basses use rare earth magnets to hold the battery compartment covers on. No screws to drop and lose in a darkened venue!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1497543071' post='3319011']
I really like the truss rod covers on both of my Ibanez guitars. They don't unscrew, they slide to one side to open then back to close. So simple I wonder why it hasn't caught on elsewhere! I love also that a couple of my basses use rare earth magnets to hold the battery compartment covers on. No screws to drop and lose in a darkened venue!
[/quote]

Modern crap, they don't sound the same those magnets. Not enough heft. Give me heavy duty ceramic magnets any day.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1497562065' post='3319188']

Modern crap, they don't sound the same those magnets. Not enough heft. Give me heavy duty ceramic magnets any day.
[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! Awesome :) Post of the day!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1496502621' post='3311953']
Haven't had a good old moan for a few hours now (on my own) so thought it was a good time to observe on here how utterly annoying it is that so many used basses are for sale without truss rod covers (and yes I am talking about basses that were made to have them). About 1 in 5, to 1 in 10, used basses (especially in my budget range) seem to not have them !

Seriously, what do people do with them. I take mine off once in a blue moon to have a tweak (usually when I first receive a bass), put it back on and thats its.

What the *%&* is going on !
[/quote]

It annoys me too. I have actually been put of buying a bass because of a lost truss rod cover. I just think its indicative of possible shoddy treatment.
I have taken off truss rod covers so many times on a lot of different guitars/basses and never lost one. Always make a point of putting the cover somewhere safe before adjusting the truss rod.
Ha sods law I will lose a cover now and it will be rare, expensive and on an instrument not belonging to me haha.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1497543071' post='3319011']
[/quote]

I also like the Ibanez truss rod hatch design.

I think really though all basses should switch to the truss rod wheel design. Makes adjusting that little bit easier and you don't need the correct size key, plus no cover is needed.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1497634540' post='3319718']
I also like the Ibanez truss rod hatch design.

I think really though all basses should switch to the truss rod wheel design. Makes adjusting that little bit easier and you don't need the correct size key, plus no cover is needed.
[/quote]

A resounding yes!