Why become a member? ×

Screw holes

halibut

I've just got a vintage style p bass with a tug bar on it (on the G string side). I'm an habitual thumb rester, and I'm really missing having a thumb rest. I find the pickups on it a tad too far back for using as a thumb rest, so I'm probably going to remove the tug and put on a thumb rest in the usual E string position.

Question is, does anyone have a neat way of sorting out the old screw holes in the pick guard that the tug bar will leave behind? Short of replacing the pick guard that is? I've toyed with the idea of cutting down the original tug bar screws and putting them back in, but has anyone got anything better?

It's the best I've thought up so far. I think any type of invisible repair would be too much to hope for. Just wondering if anyone had come up with anything clever for disguising them. Some kind of cover or something. Like a small version of the things that cover screws on flatpack furniture or somesuch.

Don't really fancy having the tug bar on at the same time as a thumb rest. Purely for cosmetic reasons. It would - to my eyes - look odd. Purely a matter of personal taste.

Pickguard replacement is possible and has been considered, but seems a bit like overkill for two small holes.

Now what are these grommets? Could you elaborate or point me in the right direction please?

Something like this:

https://www.grommets.co.uk/products/grommets/blind-rubber-grommets/

I don't know how small they go.

You've already mentioned these:
http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-cover-caps-w8mm-l5mm-pack-of-250/37707_BQ.prd?ecamp=Seapla&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700020305867213&gclid=CjwKEAjwjunJBRDzl6iCpoKS4G0SJACJAx-Vb4bT9pnIpbD3tERA7R_NIhJE1c_HCV6lSMlmWZQ-dRoC_A7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds.ds&dclid=CMHF5ITUsdQCFXME0wodxyoOSg

I think I'd try the screw caps.

To be honest, I'm fairly OCD, but I have open screw holes in my CSL bass pickguard, and even I don't notice them.

Not sure I'd go with the number plate screw covers for covering the screw holes, but damn, that would make an ideal single screw thumbrest. I only really need something small to perch my thumb on, and it naturally goes to roughly where one of the pickguard screws are. Thanks for posting that.

[quote name='halibut' timestamp='1497095376' post='3315819']
Not sure I'd go with the number plate screw covers for covering the screw holes, but damn, that would make an ideal single screw thumbrest. I only really need something small to perch my thumb on, and it naturally goes to roughly where one of the pickguard screws are. Thanks for posting that.
[/quote]

If you wanted to make it higher, you could use a longer screw and a spacer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Jet-Black-Nylon-Plastic-SPACERS-Standoff-Washer-M2-M3-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-/272505748740?var=&hash=item3f729bbd04:m:mHlsiUJSKp3eLtxPNDpk12A

:D