Why become a member? ×

Pot and caps

I normally sort out my own electrics but never tried out the following, so anyone's advice would be welcome.

I have recently acquired a four string OLP MM 2 and now it's had it's frets sorted, plays damn lovely with an unbelievably low slight relief without any buzzes set at 3/32 across the board. The only thing I'd personally like to sort out now is the too crispy hi-fi top end which doesn't really get nice and comfy (for me anyway) until the tone pot is right down to about the last 10%. The pots are all 500k. Don't know what the cap is, it has numbers which is probably equating to a .66 cap.

My questions are -

1/ If I swapped the cap for a 1.0 would it start getting 'darker' earlier at say 50% or thereabouts?

2/ Would it be better to leave the existing cap in and swap the pot for a linear taper type which would possibly start getting cotton wooly earlier and smoother?

3/ Swap all the pots for 250's to take the honk down and trial caps from there?

Edit : Hmmm. Just watched a YouTube video on log and linear pots. DEFINITELY NOT wanting a linear, way too much of a drastic jump from nothing to bam. Yuk!!

Edited by LITTLEWING

In answer to Q1, i replaced the .47uf cap on my P Bass to a 0.1 and it made a big difference. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Much more versatile in my opinion as wide open, the tone is the same on both caps. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The V/T pots are 250K in both cases and possibly swapping the Tone pot and capacitor could make the difference you are looking for. [/font][/color]

Okay, after actually looking under the control plate, turns out the tone pot is an A500 which is a log taper and attached is a 683J cap which is a .068.

What I really want to find out is if I go up to a 1.0 cap, would the darkness start a bit earlier as I turn the tone down so that I can find my preferred sound without turning the tone knob practically all the way down?

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1496607512' post='3312691']
What I really want to find out is if I go up to a 1.0 cap, would the darkness start a bit earlier as I turn the tone down so that I can find my preferred sound without turning the tone knob practically all the way down?
[/quote]

That's exactly what happened when I changed the 0.47 for a 0.1. Haven't a clue regarding a 1.0uf .

Here's a quick test - if you roll your volume pot back to about 70% (leave the tone on 100% and turn the amp up to compensate for the loss in volume) that will give you an idea of what changing both pots to 250k would sound like with the tone fully open. It should generally warm things up a bit. Dial the tone pot back slightly to taste,

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1496616583' post='3312792']

That's exactly what happened when I changed the 0.47 for a 0.1. Haven't a clue regarding a 1.0uf .
[/quote]

Ah, I actually meant a 0.1. I'm not very scientific, my ears always tell me what's nice and not. Thanks for the reply.