Why become a member? ×

Meeting another Basschatter.

alembic1989

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1496612376' post='3312762']
Endless positive experiences since being on Basschat this last 10 years or so..

Well, except for my bank balance of course which hasn't quite enjoyed such a positive time of things!
[/quote]

I had sufficient positive experiences with basschatters that I was confident enough to go to and meet one for the first time in a car park, alone, dafter dark, in Slough, with an envelope full of money to buy his bass!

Totally agree with all the positive comments - if Basschat didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it! Our recent S-W bash was a total delight, and that was mainly down to the people. (OK, there was some VERY nice kit too :) )

... and that seems to apply to the wider bass-playing community too. Most touching example was when I did a 'My Bass Is' article for Bassist magazine a few years back. It was actually about the 2 Les Paul Triumph basses I was gigging at the time and featured the fact that one of them was missing its bridge cover. A few weeks after the mag appeared, the editor forwarded a mint cover that a bass player in New Zealand had sent foc in response to the article! How good is that?!

Same for me. Bought gear from fellow BC'ers where i've met up to buy or sell. All good. All great to talk to, All happy to share trade secrets and techniques etc. Even tried a Parker Fly bass which was really nice.

Only ever had one slightly awkward moment but not sure whether it was via Basschat.
Was buying my first 6 string bass and arranged to meet up at Motorway services near his hometown.
After driving over 200 miles the guy wasn't there but he had given me his phone number and address.
Tried calling but no answer. Drove round to the house and he just arrived home from Uni after his train was delayed and didn't have time to make the agreed time. His mobile battery also died. Very apologetic and we did the deal no probs.
Young guy and his parents were very apologetic too and made me a nice tea and biscuits while we chatted.
All ended well but i would have been pissed off if travelled that distance for nothing.

Dave

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1496662888' post='3313015']
Easily the best & most useful forum I've ever joined. :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

mmmmmm ..... you have obviously not visited Mrs Whiplash's emporium of sexual deviance have you ? ;)
Uww eerm,,..apparently :blush:

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1496652822' post='3312900']
+1 to all the good things said above about meeting Basschatters for deals, or even just a drink, and attending bashes. Honourable mention for the London Bass Guitar Show too, which is teeming with Basschatters every year.
And don't forget the non-bass-playing other halves. I have met Mrs CamdenRob, Mrs Grangur, Mrs Sharman, the lovely soon-to-be Mrs Dave Swift, as well as Mrs Hamster and Mrs Silverfoxnik, and found them all supportive, great fun and always willing to help out. :)
[/quote]
I forgot ms bluejay who tracked me down in the ground floor of Westminster bridge mac Donald's, despite zero mobile signal

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1496674267' post='3313114']
I forgot ms bluejay who tracked me down in the ground floor of Westminster bridge mac Donald's, despite zero mobile signal
[/quote]

Oh yes, forgot about you and your other half too! It *was* great to meet you both :)

that's because all the posers play guitars.

we play bass coz we want to play bass

plus we are the practical members of the band, everyone else is unorganised, that's why WE carry drum keys, guitar strings, and all the other spares. That's why WE are the bookers . And the sound mixers.

I've met a few.

I have helped a couple when gear needed picking up and I have bought gear from members.

I have even booked hotels and gone to see a couple of bands that members play in.

Every interaction has been a joy.

I've met a few BCers in various places (mainly their homes, but also Sainsbury's car park and more recently Brownhills Motorhomes car park) to do deals, and also went to see karlfer's old band play a few times. All positive experiences, even the *interesting* pubs with equally *interesting* clientele Karl always seemed to find to play in. :D

I've met quite a few BCers through the marketplace and all have been top chaps, not only in the flesh, but also through their communications. I have also met some at LBGS and again, nice folks.