Why become a member? ×

Cabs - 212 or two 112s?. Or add a 210?

Andy_L

I've currently got an EBS Reidmar with a 112 classic line cab. I like the sound and looks, but am tempted by a bit more oomph.

Would I be better with another 112 cab or changing for a single 212 4 ohm cab? Transportation size and weight aren't really major concerns

Thanks

Andy

Edited by Andy_L

Thanks for your thoughts Lozz.

The classic line cabs don't really seem to come up for sale on here nearly as often as the Pro or Neo cabs, so I guess I'm looking at new. In this case when allowing for price, postage and cables a 212 is probably around £150 more. I'd hope to get more than this for my existing 112 so the 212 could be the cheaper option.

I take your points on convenience though.

Any thoughts on sonic differences?

Edited by Andy_L

• 2 weeks later...

I use the 210 plus a 1x 12 configuration but its the EBS neo range with an EBS 350 head. Like you I started off with just 1 x 112 and needed some more omph.

I added a second 112 and that worked really well and used that for a few years. Then I caught sight of a NEO 210 going really cheap so I brought it with a view to move it on if it didn't work out.

As it happens it has worked out really well. I currently use either or both cabs depending on the situation. I'm still looking at adding a second 2x10 if I see one at the right price so that when I need it, I have the 4x10 thing on tap as well.

Due to the light weight of either cabs, its no great hardship to move them around. I'm not sure if the classic line are as portable but if they are as loud the neos, and sound good to you, then whats not to like? :)

Cheers Jim.

The Classic 210 looks to be about 3.5kg heavier than the Neo equivalent so not a big difference. I'm fond of the look and sound of the Classic so I'm planning to stick with this. That said, the Pros and Neos seem to come up for sale much more often on here.

How do you find the 210 against the 112 sound-wise?

Edited by Andy_L

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1497552236' post='3319102']
Horse's for courses and all that, but I had 2 -112 EBS Classic's and never really got on with them, they lacked a lot of bottom end, lot's of mid drive tho.
[/quote]

I see exactly what you mean, but I'm in a country / country rock band, and clean & warm is more important to me than gut-shuddering low end. If I were in a heavy rock band they probably wouldn't be what I was after

[quote name='Andy_L' timestamp='1497559952' post='3319171']
I see exactly what you mean, but I'm in a country / country rock band, and clean & warm is more important to me than gut-shuddering low end. If I were in a heavy rock band they probably wouldn't be what I was after
[/quote]

Cool, sounds you know what you are after, that's half the battle.

[quote name='Andy_L' timestamp='1497551566' post='3319096']
Cheers Jim.

The Classic 210 looks to be about 3.5kg heavier than the Neo equivalent so not a big difference. I'm fond of the look and sound of the Classic so I'm planning to stick with this. That said, the Pros and Neos seem to come up for sale much more often on here.

How do you find the 210 against the 112 sound-wise?
[/quote] The 210 has more authority and a bit warmer. Rounder ? More punchier. More presence. Obviously louder due to its size ect but in terms of tone its not that great a difference. Its like the same tone but more of it. I tend to keep the EQ as flat as possible these days. What I put in I get out.
I rehearsed last night in a smallish room with just the 112 and didnt want for anything more. On most gigs however I take the 210 in first and add the 112 if I need it. We usually only use backline . PA is for vox and keys , maybe a little bass drum. Same for most dep gigs I get. With both cabs I can often be loudest bastard in the room if I want to be and have yet to find myself in a situation where I feel I could do with more.
I'd still like to add second 210 though, just because :D