Why become a member? ×

Manchester benefit gig

Owen

I'm not really a fan of current chart music, but everyone on that bill is absolutely nailing it.

The backing band (bands?) are awesome, but the big surprise of the nights for me was Little Mix, I had no idea they could harmonise like that live.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1496608331' post='3312709']
According to Farcebook, the bassist is Eric Ingram.
[/quote]
Got there before me. Loving his lines.

[url="http://www.thepicta.com/media/1492131514544323641_405685436"]http://www.thepicta....23641_405685436[/url]

He and presumably the rest of the band are Ariana Grande's Tour Band.

Edited by YeastieB

Great vibe to the whole event. Robbie Williams had a bit of a shocker but everyone else has been great. Band defo top drawer. I really love watching live pop these days as the band's are usually really talented and groove so well.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1496609882' post='3312736']
The mix sounds pretty good too, with some nice prominent bass (and we all thought the BBC didn't do bass).
[/quote]

Agreed. They are probably taking a feed of the stadium PA mix and therefore can't mess with it.

I thought Imogen Heap was amazing! No she's not the best singer in the world, but amazing songs, amazing feel, beautiful delivery.

Yeah Eric Ingram is a bit of a good player! Helps to have Aaron Spears on drums too!

Si

I thought the house band were excellent.
Some highs and some lows and a few with tuning issues.
But that is usual with these type of concerts that are thrown together at the last moment.
Some manage it really well, some struggle a bit.
(Imogen Heap really struggled for me).

Hats off to all involved for a pretty smooth running show.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1496613075' post='3312769']
I thought Imogen Heap was amazing! No she's not the best singer in the world, but amazing songs, amazing feel, beautiful delivery.

Yeah Eric Ingram is a bit of a good player! Helps to have Aaron Spears on drums too!

Si
[/quote]

It just shows how different we all are doesn't it? I saw this part as it was before the TT coverage started, me and my wife were just looking at each other like wtf! Bit like those awkward moments where a friend performs something at a wedding, lol, awful in every way for me.

I went along as it's local to me, close to work, easy to get the tram in, etc, and I wanted to put some money into the fund and thought this was the perfect way to do it.

We were lucky to get tickets.

Many many people seem to be absolutely shocked that I can quite happily go from a more niche gig like Minus the Bear or a small punk band, then go and see big stadium indie bands and even, shock horror, pop.

Ariana Grande is a very talented vocalist and entertainer. She seemed very humbled by the support. I applaud her for coming back to Manc after the horror events that happened at her gig. Yes, she is famous, but she is a human like all of us, and that event will no doubt affect her for the rest of her life. I imagine it goes even as far as feeling guilty knowing what happened when people came to see her.

The highlight for me was Liam Gallagher. You could feel the anticipation in the air as the guitars and amps were turned on and everyone was looking at each other wondering. No other guitar bands were on the bill after Coldplay so it was a clue as to who was next. I know Oasis are one of those bands that divide opinion, but after growing up in the brit pop era, I still think they are one of the best proper bands we have produced in a long long time. Forget whatever each Gallagher gets up to, when it comes down to it they have written some absolutely stunning albums and have a huge amount of b-sides that were good enough to fill more and more albums. They just churned out countless anthems and they did it properly like the bands they were influenced by.

Coldplay are a bit of a 'wet' band, but I've always respected what they do, and they have some fantastic songs. X&Y was a great album for me. As soon as they came on it was obvious how different a full band sounds on top of their game over a pop act with backing bands. It sounded huge.

Despite being manufactured pop, Little Mix can sing incredibly well compared to some of the previous bands of their type. I think they are good at what they do.

I've always like Black Eyed Peas, but I wanted more songs! Same with Pharrell....

Moved by it all. Doesn't matter whether you're a fan of some of the music or not, everybody absolutely nailed it. Music brings people together and this definitely has shown that.

Credit must go to the production team for this event, it was less than 8 days they had to put this together!

[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1496659489' post='3312971']
Moved by it all. Doesn't matter whether you're a fan of some of the music or not, everybody absolutely nailed it. Music brings people together and this definitely has shown that.

Credit must go to the production team for this event, it was less than 8 days they had to put this together!
[/quote]

Exactly. Shows what can be done in a short space of time. It was pretty flawless in terms of organisation and the Police/staff were all in high spirits.

I do think this demonstrates that maybe more of these events should take place for charity. Musicians giving up time and effort and all proceeds to a good cause.

[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1496659489' post='3312971']

[/quote]

Not a lot to add to this. I settled down to watch the whole thing, even though a lot of it was not my style. Hugely impressed really. The bass in the "house band" was excellent. Liam right at the end... worth waiting for.

The French rugby final was on, but we did zap to this during the half-time break, as it was broadcast 'live' on French Channel 2. We must have just been unlucky, then, as the few minutes we could stand (all the family, not just me...) were dire, to say the least. Whilst applauding with both hands the spirit of the thing, that Gallagher bloke can't sing for toffee, and his lyrics are sub-Dylan, too. Saw a couple of girls singing (they all look the same to me...), and was seriously underwhelmed, musically. The rugby second half quickly took our interest back. Well done for the event; pity I missed the good bits.

[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1496659489' post='3312971'] Moved by it all. Doesn't matter whether you're a fan of some of the music or not, everybody absolutely nailed it. Music brings people together and this definitely has shown that. Credit must go to the production team for this event, it was less than 8 days they had to put this together! [/quote]+ 1 you have it right!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1496662017' post='3313006']
The French rugby final was on, but we did zap to this during the half-time break, as it was broadcast 'live' on French Channel 2. We must have just been unlucky, then, as the few minutes we could stand (all the family, not just me...) were dire, to say the least. Whilst applauding with both hands the spirit of the thing, that Gallagher bloke can't sing for toffee, and his lyrics are sub-Dylan, too. Saw a couple of girls singing (they all look the same to me...), and was seriously underwhelmed, musically. The rugby second half quickly took our interest back. Well done for the event; pity I missed the good bits.
[/quote]
All lyrics are sub Dylan 😎

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496609148' post='3312721']
That's him and he was there for the Manchester attack. Nice player, some people say religion has bought nothing useful to modern society, well gospel has given us some tasty players! :)
[/quote]

True !!