Why become a member? ×

Longer lasting roundwound strings

radiophonic

I've been using Ernie Ball Super Slinky's for the last year or so. They initially seemed to last a bit longer than Rotosound Swing Bass and I can usually pick them up for about £18 a set. However, since I've been gigging more regularly I've found that I kill them stone dead. I played a 60 minute gig with a brand new set last week and the E was absolutely wrecked. Sounded like a flat, only with no harmonics (although oddly, the other three survived on this occasion). I did go for it a bit, but it was only an hour! I need a solid low end but with fair amount of zing in my sound - think harmonics, chorus pedal, stingray - so I'm looking for a cost-effective alternative - ideally something that will last at least couple of gigs with some brightness intact and preferably not break the bank. I've only ever used Roto 66, Bass Centre Elites (in the 80s) and Ernie Ball. Any recommendations based on gigging experience?

D'Adds are excellent -- I used their nickels for a while and was v.impressed by their longevity. However, I am also a fully convinced Elixir user now. I approached them with a certain amount of scepticism -- surely they can't last as long as people say? -- but by god they do. I like a reasonably bright tone with decent bite, and my last set of Elixirs were still delivering that after 9 months. Yes they're not cheap, but they do work out to be cost effective if you consider how many ordinary sets would die in the same time.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1496741972' post='3313508']
D'Adds are excellent -- I used their nickels for a while and was v.impressed by their longevity. However, I am also a fully convinced Elixir user now. I approached them with a certain amount of scepticism -- surely they can't last as long as people say? -- but by god they do. I like a reasonably bright tone with decent bite, and my last set of Elixirs were still delivering that after 9 months. Yes they're not cheap, but they do work out to be cost effective if you consider how many ordinary sets would die in the same time.
[/quote]

9 months seems incredible to me. Does the coating make them feel any different?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496744105' post='3313537']
Of all the strings I've used over the years, the sets that sounded the best for the longest time were DR's, either Lo-Riders or Hi-Beams.
[/quote]

I would probably agree with this - although that longevity comes at a pretty high price.

I've tried loads of brands over the years (Rotosound, Elites, Newtone, D'Addario, DR, Picato, Dean Markley, Lakland, LaBella, Warwick, Fender, Ernie Ball...), but now I use [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm?ref=search_rslt_bass+strings_213107"]these[/url]. Cheap as chips, but they feel good, sound good and last pretty well. To be honest, at a fiver a set you can afford to change them after every gig if you choose to, but I find that they are easily rejuvenated after a soak in ethanol. In fact, they can stand up to this several times before they need to be binned.

Well worth a try, although the shipping costs mean that unless you add them to a more expensive Thomann order, you pay a lot to get them here.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496744105' post='3313537']
Of all the strings I've used over the years, the sets that sounded the best for the longest time were DR's, either Lo-Riders or Hi-Beams.
[/quote]

I have to agree with this. Also comes at second place for is Sadowsky blues.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1496742203' post='3313510']
9 months seems incredible to me. Does the coating make them feel any different?
[/quote]

Mine lasted 9 months, playing 1-3 hours every day. Only changed them to try a different set, could have kept them on for another three months.

The coating makes them smoother than normal rounds, very easy on the fingers of both hands.using a pick will wear out the coating faster.
I found they had slightly less bottom end than my usual D'Addario nickel rounds, but I easily dialled that back in.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1496745911' post='3313554']
I would probably agree with this - although that longevity comes at a pretty high price.

I've tried loads of brands over the years (Rotosound, Elites, Newtone, D'Addario, DR, Picato, Dean Markley, Lakland, LaBella, Warwick, Fender, Ernie Ball...), but now I use [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm?ref=search_rslt_bass+strings_213107"]these[/url]. Cheap as chips, but they feel good, sound good and last pretty well. To be honest, at a fiver a set you can afford to change them after every gig if you choose to, but I find that they are easily rejuvenated after a soak in ethanol. In fact, they can stand up to this several times before they need to be binned.

Well worth a try, although the shipping costs mean that unless you add them to a more expensive Thomann order, you pay a lot to get them here.
[/quote]

these are also my choice for gigging, last set I put on have lasted 4 gigs plus weekly rehersals, still got some zing, less than £5 a set, madness not to buy half a dozen and see how it goes!

+1 on DR's, they last a long time for me and I kill strings fast. Also DR HiBeams in particular sound pretty good even when they're dead, I kept a set on my J for a good couple of years. (I like dead strings for the stuff i play but some sound better than others, dead nickels usually sound bad.)

Also watch Scott's advice on avoiding dead strings on Youtube, if you're getting one dead string you might find his advice useful.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1496797519' post='3313946']
+1 on DR's, they last a long time for me and I kill strings fast. Also DR HiBeams in particular sound pretty good even when they're dead, I kept a set on my J for a good couple of years. (I like dead strings for the stuff i play but some sound better than others, dead nickels usually sound bad.)

Also watch Scott's advice on avoiding dead strings on Youtube, if you're getting one dead string you might find his advice useful.
[/quote]

Got a link for the Scott Devine thing? I've seen his string changing vid, is this something different? I have had luck in the past, with this though - [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8pxjE8AuAc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8OYeN9mAL4[/url] - based on the 'work hardening' model of dead strings. Nothing worked for my last set of Ernie Balls though!

Edited by radiophonic

I use Elixirs and D'Addario NYXLs: the Elixirs are coated, but the new version of the coating is much less noticeable than the earlier versions, doesn't shed (and I play 85% with a pick) and they stay bright for a very very long time. Well worth it. The NYXLs aren't coated, but again, they last a long long time compared to most other strings.

I used to use DRs, but since I tried the newer Elixirs and NYXLs, I haven't gone back.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1496838672' post='3314190']
What's the difference between Nickels and SS? I've only ever used stainless.
[/quote]

I was always led to believe that nickels were less bright and zingy than SS. I thought that would be a problem as I like a lot of zing. Then I started buying the Harley Benton nickels and found the difference barely noticeable!

Best advice is to give some a try and see how you like them :)

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1496741710' post='3313505']
Elixirs look to be very pricey! D'Addario Pro Steels look like a more affordable option, if indeed they do last longer. Probably worth a punt for next time. They claim brightness, although that's not the be all and end all of course.
[/quote]

I've been using Elixir Nanoweb (#14077) sets for a while now and they do last for yonks. The set I've got on my Lull went on on 4th November 2016 and seven months later they still sound bright. OK, yes, they're c.£35 a set, but I'd have been on my third set of Dunlops/D'Addario by now (and maybe my fifth set of Rotosounds...hehe).

If you want very cheap, but decent, check out Soldier branded strings on Amazon. I needed some cheapies to do a set up on something and paid £6.00; they're perfectly fir for purpose. They're pretty good if you want to swap strings every couple of gigs.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1496841907' post='3314230']
I was always led to believe that nickels were less bright and zingy than SS. I thought that would be a problem as I like a lot of zing. Then I started buying the Harley Benton nickels and found the difference barely noticeable!

Best advice is to give some a try and see how you like them :)
[/quote]

Agreed - I find that the Pro Steels have a slight extra "zing" when they first go on but the difference between them and the nickels isn't massively noticeable, and I don't lose sleep if i can't get hold of the Steels, or if I need to change one in isolation and don't have a match