Why become a member? ×

Help in identifying the origins of this just bought 'moody' fender jazz bass

DanH71

Hi all,

just bought this jazz bass off ebay for £116 pounds, in the knowledge that this is NOT a fender bass guitar, despite what the decal says.

The guy who sold it was very sure to make it clear that this was not a genuine Fender jazz bass and told of how he had bought it off a guy who was equally honest about its non authenticity. Ive asked
the seller if he knows the origin of these parts but he only knows it is a put together item.

I haven't received it yet but am curious as to what the original owner has done in terms what guitar/s the body and neck are from.

I can see that he has tried to create a Fender Jazz Bass American Vintage 64
in Lake Placid Blue [headstock decal is the same] but want to try to find out what its actually put together from?

http://davesguitar.com/products/fender/american-vintage-1964-jazz-bass/

Its curious because the colored headstock with moody fender decal sits on a neck with contrasting skunk stripe, and I dont know of any squires/or other guitars that have this colour headstock and skunk stripe. I know the John Johnston has this coloured headstock
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0301078502/electric-basses/squier-james-johnston-biffy-clyro-jazz-bass-in-lake-placid-blue

but its not this has they have no skunk and model and manufacture decal on the reverse.

Same for the body?

As I say, I haven't received it yet but was looking to see if anyone had any ideas from the two pictures I have, OR if anyone could give me any advice or where to look and what to look for to find out more about
this frankenstein bass?

Wanted to start a bitsa project and thought this a cheap way to start.

cheers
Dan

Neck from an Aerodyne perhaps? Although it doesn't have the 'Aerodyne' signature on the headstock, but it is coloured along with having a skunk stripe.

[attachment=246798:s-l400.jpg]

Edited by foxyFuze

yeh, just looked at the aerodyne thanks with the similarly coloured headstock, but it:

https://reverb.com/item/4758303-fender-fsr-aerodyne-jazz-bass-lake-placid-blue-pre-owned

seems to have a different wood and no laquer finish as mine does.

curios-er and curios-er..

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1496753475' post='3313625']
I've no idea, but id say for £116 you cant go far wrong!
[/quote]

yeh, was surprised the auction price was so low. still haven't played it yet; might be like a cheese grater!;)

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1496760585' post='3313693']
For the money that looks great! Could just be something like a Mighty Mite neck with the headstock sprayed to match the body and then the decal applied. Any idea what pick-ups it has?
[/quote]

no, no idea as yet.
Just seen the two pictures. When I collect it at the weekend I can post any more info that I may get by looking at it. That was mostly why I posted in the 1st place; to see if folks could give any possible leads..

could well be a mighty mite. will have to check the quality of the headstock paint when i get it.

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1496765278' post='3313719']
Looking forward to hear more about it. I bet you can't wait to see what it is :-)
Looks like a bargain to me.
[/quote]

No I can't, its a bit like Xmas!. Just hope it plays/feels nice. The rest can be tweaked!

Looks nice but its not a squier, mighty mite or licensed by Fender neck as the headstock is not the correct shape. The blob on the end of a Fender/Squier/licensed headstock would be bigger and the lower edge would be more curved. It looks more like one of the generic Chinese necks that come up on ebay

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1496768128' post='3313750']
Looks nice but its not a squier, mighty mite or licensed by Fender neck as the headstock is not the correct shape. The blob on the end of a Fender/Squier/licensed headstock would be bigger and the lower edge would be more curved. It looks more like one of the generic Chinese necks that come up on ebay
[/quote]

Thanks for the insight on the headstock shape!

Any ideas on the body at all? Squier or jazz copy from a different manufacturer maybe..

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1496767821' post='3313747']
@Grangur could you tell me what makes it look like a squier to you?

I mean what model/signature of squier?

Cheers
[/quote]
The general shape of the body. A number of Squiers also come with Skunk lines too. But TBH any judgment of mine should come with a public health warning. There are many more knowledgeable people on here than me.

Edit: Have you taken the neck off and looked for markings and to see if the body is solid wood; assuming you can see anything through the paint?

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496769938' post='3313765']

The general shape of the body. A number of Squiers also come with Skunk lines too. But TBH any judgment of mine should come with a public health warning. There are many more knowledgeable people on here than me.
[/quote]

Warning heeded and your input much appreciated;)!

not sure though about the body, as the neck/body bolt plate is not squier. Doesn't mean it isn't ,maybe he wanted a 'fender' plate but couldn't find one and just put on a blank plate to hide the shame of it being a squier:)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496769938' post='3313765']

Edit: Have you taken the neck off and looked for markings and to see if the body is solid wood; assuming you can see anything through the paint?
[/quote]

Sorry, missed your post!
No I haven't got the bass yet, but what might that tell me if it's solid wood (do you mean 1 piece?)?
Obviously brand stamps would be a giveaway.

Thanks again
D

Edited by DanH71

Just an update on my newly acquired bass...

So at closer inspection and by comparing it to other guitars I suspect I could have a tokai bass
That has had its headstock sprayed and dodgy Fender decal put on.

The bridge and its spacing to the pickup seem to be identical to the tokai as does the Fender jazz bass shaped headstock
With its more acute and poorly rounded floor facing contour. Also the more rounded tip on the lower horn of the scratch plate seems
To be like several tokai bases I have seen as is the more acute bevel of the body.

The neck plate seems to have no serial though so don't know if this was replaced to disguise the fact
It wasn't a fender (without bothering to put a fender one on in its place;)

Slightly dissapointed it's not in part some rare Fender gem but I understand to that some tokai jazz basses are sought after..it certainly sounds good with the basic pickups it has (very jazzy)

Question is, how can I tell what tokai I do have (year and place of production)?

Thanks
Dan

Edited by DanH71

So looking here:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html

It illustrates that all tokai j-basses carried a fender copy ID number on the neck plate.
My bass doesn't have such a number (it's blank) so how can I tell if I have an actual tokai other than going on a gut
Feeling from my above observations (last post)?

Is there another tell tale sign other than this plate mark or the headstock decal (that I don't have)?

The headstock shape certainly looks like and meets the description of a post Fender law suit (anywhere from 82-86)..