Why become a member? ×

Torquay for the week

Geek99

I live here and if you are looking for music shops then you will be disappointed. I have to visit Mansons in Exeter. Are you looking for other types of shops?

You will have more luck going to gigs. When are you coming here?

Edited by mep

yep Exeter is your place for all things 4 & 6 string related (Mansons), Torbay is sadly now non existant for geetar shops, teignmouth has a little one thats not bad.
If live music is your thing theres loads of pubs doing live music at the weekends, I can recommend the Coach House in Paignton, The Queens Arms in Brixham, (we're playing there this Sat ;) ) and several places in Torquay itself, have a look here

https://www.lemonrock.com/advancedsearchvenues.php?gigcityId=Torquay%2C+Devon+TQ1&EC_gigcityId=52152&maxMilesVenue=25&venuetypename=pub&venuename=&isAnchorSearch=0&isAnchorSearch=1&venuegigschedule=1&isVenueMember=0&isVI=0&isVTel=0&isEmV=0&isVPh=0&isVU18=0&isMap=0&entPolicyId=0&venSearchType=0&accMask=0&a=search

I have fond memories of Torquay and in particular Totness. When my uncle was alive I used to spend lots of quality time there. I wasn't a bass junkie then though so I'm of no help to you (OP), sorry.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='fiatcoupe432' timestamp='1496778422' post='3313829']
man some good places to visit down here . make sure you visit bantham blackpool sands , dartmouth , dartmoor , burgh island , lots of nice places .
when are u coming down?
[/quote]
As above, I'm here now but with the troops

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1496783907' post='3313880']
yep Exeter is your place for all things 4 & 6 string related (Mansons), Torbay is sadly now non existant for geetar shops, teignmouth has a little one thats not bad.
If live music is your thing theres loads of pubs doing live music at the weekends, I can recommend the Coach House in Paignton, The Queens Arms in Brixham, (we're playing there this Sat ;) ) and several places in Torquay itself, have a look here

https://www.lemonrock.com/advancedsearchvenues.php?gigcityId=Torquay%2C+Devon+TQ1&EC_gigcityId=52152&maxMilesVenue=25&venuetypename=pub&venuename=&isAnchorSearch=0&isAnchorSearch=1&venuegigschedule=1&isVenueMember=0&isVI=0&isVTel=0&isEmV=0&isVPh=0&isVU18=0&isMap=0&entPolicyId=0&venSearchType=0&accMask=0&a=search
[/quote]

2 of our favourite venues too. I've been meaning to catch your band. Will pop along to the coach house on the 23rd.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1496906087' post='3314550']
I picked up a cheap ukulele bass in a funny little shop in Totnes last October. It's at the top of the high St on the left. Sells lots of folky type stuff.
[/quote]

I think I went in there last month! All I bought in Totnes was a T shirt, it's seen service on a few gigs.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496905251' post='3314546']
I'm often down there, but only during the week, can't take holidays at weekends as we are usually gigging. Totnes is a good place, I must spend more time there next trip.
[/quote] Certainly a lot of people 'tripping' in Totnes...twinned with Narnia nonetheless :lol:

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1496908087' post='3314560']
Certainly a lot of people 'tripping' in Totnes...twinned with Narnia nonetheless :lol:

[/quote]

I'm sure I used to live in Narnia, my little corner of Finland was all snow covered forest with little paths though it. If I'd met a friendly lion there, it wouldn't have surprised me!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1496866915' post='3314428']

come and say Hi, Im the good looking one, you'll see..its obvious!
[/quote]

It seems we have something in common with our bands including some of our songs. Looking forward to it.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1497011167' post='3315283']

The pub next door was Murphy Roadhouse but sadly is no more.
[/quote]

Has it shut down?
We played at 'The March of the Mods' there a couple of months ago, seemed a nice little venue.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1497024799' post='3315419']

Has it shut down?
We played at 'The March of the Mods' there a couple of months ago, seemed a nice little venue.
[/quote]

I'll double check next time I drive past.

Back home now after an eight hour oddesey
Huge thanks to the builders at premiere inn for making my disabled child run the gauntlet of all their noise despite me asking them repeatedly to stop just long enough for us to enter the building without her being in obvious distress
And they used all the disabled spaces as well. everyday

Edited by Geek99