Why become a member? ×

Hartke HC33 Bass Chorus review

uk_lefty

Hadn't seen a review so thought I'd do one briefly.
Summary: at 29 quid New it's a bargain and does everything you'd want it to very well.

Detailed review:
I bought one of these brand new in the blow out sales for 29 quid. Didn't think it was a bad deal. Have heard that the NUX pedal at 15 quid is the same but I've been stung with buying cheap pedals before, had three behringer bass chorus pedals that never worked.
So, the hartke pedal... I'm a hartke fan but if this was awful I'd send it back. I'm keeping it. I want to have a little shimmery chorus here and there for some passages and fretless play and some spacey open sounds for some severe 80's-ness to mess around with. Chorus is not an integral part of "my sound" though so I don't need the most amazing pedal.
The pedal casing feels sturdy, dials turn nicely and don't feel too cheap, and the switch clicks a little but not through the signal chain. It's a solid build.
I've tested this using my fretless through an ashdown rm rig using with and without the sub octave. It's a very usable effect, goes from subtle where it can add something to harmonics to the shimmery fast chorus for a bit of "come as you are". Combined with fretless bass it comes in to its own, playing classic pop fretless lines it can get the nostalgia glands going (take my breath away, played it so many times tonight!!!)
Overall I'm impressed and I won't be buying the ehx bass clone now as I had planned. If this pedal was full price I wouldn't have got it, but at 29 pounds it's a great deal, at 70ish there's other good options, like the ehx.
This chorus is great for those of us who will use it occasionally, I have no doubt it will hold up well at band volumes, and unless there is one very specific sound you're looking for I can't imagine this pedal won't fulfil your needs.

When we next have rehearsal in two weeks I'll put it through its paces with a jazz bass and in a band scenario then update the review.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1496779147' post='3313839']
The pedal casing feels sturdy, dials turn nicely and don't feel too cheap, and the switch clicks a little but not through the signal chain. It's a solid build.
[/quote]

I had the Nux version for a while. It sounded great but the knobs definitely felt cheap and wobbly so perhaps they aren't built to the same standards!