Why become a member? ×

Noisy signal

uk_lefty

Help! I'm not the most technical and recently I've been getting some serious noise in my signal chain. The noise is an electronic chirpy noise with a bit of an underlying rasp. Its a loud noise that could become really annoying at gigs, when playing it's hidden.
I've been through to disable one pedal at a time, and tried bass direct to amp to check it's not the amp or speakers... I've come to the conclusion the source of the noise could be my power supply...
I currently run these pedals in this order:
Jim Dunlop bass wah, Harley Benton micro tuner, hartke vxl bass attack, hartke bass chorus, boss flanger, boss limiter enhancer.
All powered with a Caline 5 power bank which was a cheap eBay buy but the noise has only been noticeable recently. I do consistently use an extension chord to the mainstream, haven't had chance to see if this could be the source of the noise?
Any ideas what could be the source of the noise or a good way to find out? Thank you

What do you mean by 'disable one pedal at a time'? Turning them on and off is not sufficient, you should remove them from the chain altogether when testing, as just having a pedal plugged into the power supply can be enough to cause an issue.

I would start by testing each pedal individually, i.e. bass->pedal->amp. If they all pass that test, then add one pedal at a time.

Chirping noises like you describe often come from digital pedals, maybe your tuner or flanger depending on which model you have exactly. To resolve that you can either put the offending pedal on its own power supply, get an isolation adapter tip, or move up to a supply with individually isolated outputs.

Don't forget cables can be a culprit too!

And if your power supply has a transformer coil in it, it can generate noise in certain other pedals if they are placed too close by.

Edited by dannybuoy

As the above post says.
Each pedal and cable in turn.
Honestly you won't go wrong with a proper isolated power supply.

Check you have the correct voltage and mA draw per pedal as per the power supply.

Is your smart phone in your pocket?
Active or hot pick ups on your bass, the phone can create some noise.
I have a VXL, great pedals, but if you are high gain it will create noise especially if you are stacking drive or effects.

If it's all eliminated and you like your sound, last thing is get a noise gate.
ISP Decimator is
About the best out there

This happened to me with a cheap power supply. I would definitely recommend getting an isolated power supply. The noise will most likely be coming from an underpowered pedal, or a digital pedal in the chain. I can highly recommend the MXR ISO Brick, you will also be surprised how much pedal your pedals sound when they are properly powered

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1496786717' post='3313901']

Honestly you won't go wrong with a proper isolated power supply.

Is your smart phone in your pocket?
Active or hot pick ups on your bass, the phone can create some noise.

[/quote]

+1

esp the mobile phone - easy to overlook.
Even a simple quartz watch can be an issue. On a single coil Strat type guitar I had this - a 'tick' coming through at - ooh about once a second.
Took me an embarrasingly long time to work out it was synchronised with the second hand on my watch :-)

Have you figured out exactly which pedal is causing the issue yet? Because you'll want to know how much current it draws.

There are two isolator tips I'm aware of, one cheap:

http://www.diago.co.uk/adaptors/isolator.html

And one expensive:

http://www.thegigrig.co.uk/timelord-c2x15357225

However the Diago is only rated for 110mA max but the GigRig Timelord can handle 999mA. GigRig also produce the 'Virtual Battery' but I can't find a power rating for it.

On the other hand, you can get an isolated supply for less dough than the GigRig Isolator, this one has come recommended by a fellow BCer in a nearby thread:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301907679302

Edited by dannybuoy

Going to tinker around again tonight but pretty sure it's my tuner which is a cheap Harley Benton micro pedal. Thanks for the links, I had a look at the power unit on eBay, but a bit wary of these as my current power unit was recommended on BC as a good, cheap isolated power unit off eBay! Might have to bite the bullet and buy an MXR or similar just to cut out the issue once and for all, I hope.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1497946577' post='3321451']
Another option of course would be to ditch the tuner and replace it with a TC Polytune Mini - I've not had any noise issues with mine on a daisy chain!
[/quote]

+1. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a noise problem with any of my TC pedals (I've had a few) despite them being digital. They're obviously doing something right.

Another option of course would be to ditch the tuner and replace it with a TC Polytune Mini - I've not had any noise issues with mine on a daisy chain!
[/quote]

Good point, but there's always another pedal to buy! Want to resolve the problem at the root of possible

In that case your cheapest, most reliable solution is the Diago Isolator suggested above. Though the GigRig Isolator has 4 outputs (albeit limited to around 150mA each) and could act as insurance against any misbehaving pedals you may acquire in the future. Of course there's no point going to the added expense of the GigRig option if you don't have any plans for board expansion.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Rehearsed last night and noticed something else peculiar... With no pedals on everything was running fine and the VU meter on my ashdown amp was peaking at less than half its range. However, engaging either my hartke di box to change tones or add some drive, or engaging my Jim Dunlop bass wah all made the vu jump in to the red! With input volumes less than half. Quite concerned by this. Think I need to have my boss limiter engaged to protect the amp?

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1497938922' post='3321374']
Going to tinker around again tonight but pretty sure it's my tuner which is a cheap Harley Benton micro pedal.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have a TC Polytune on my guitar board, and when I'm tuning (i.e. signal muted) I get some funny chirpy noises coming from the pedal output to my amp.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1498206393' post='3323070']
Thanks for all the advice so far!
Rehearsed last night and noticed something else peculiar... With no pedals on everything was running fine and the VU meter on my ashdown amp was peaking at less than half its range. However, engaging either my hartke di box to change tones or add some drive, or engaging my Jim Dunlop bass wah all made the vu jump in to the red! With input volumes less than half. Quite concerned by this. Think I need to have my boss limiter engaged to protect the amp?
[/quote]

If your input signal is going up as a result of engaging pedals, they must be boosting the volume, so simply adjust the levels on the pedals. A limiter would of course do a similar job, but it might end up squashing the signal too much!

You won't be in danger of damaging your amp by feeding it a hotter signal, the only side effect you might see would be more distortion. The only danger you could face is blowing a cab due to increased overall output level if you are already pushing your cabs to the limit without the pedals. If this is the case then a limiter may help, as would a high pass filter like the Thumpinator, but the safest option would be simply adding more speakers!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing... No noise at all in last rehearsal. Had two gigs on Saturday both through my own rig. At the first gig there was loads of noise and it was coming through the di out to the PA so in the interests of saving time I agreed with the sound guys to ditch my pedals and play straight to the amp. No tuner or mute but we were playing a quick 45 min set.
Also, when going to the active input channel on the amp the di signal went dead, which is odd.
A few hours later and I'm setting up my rig for the night gig, no issues whatsoever with pedal noise, used the full lot all night.
Absolutely baffled for what the problem could be!!

Sounds like either a dodgy cable, or a poorly shielded cable or bass that only picks up noise when there is a lot of interference nearby.

I had noise issues recently, but only when my dimmer switch was turned on (to provide some interference) combined with using certain patch cables (to pick up said interference like an antenna).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1497905333' post='3321267']
Have you figured out exactly which pedal is causing the issue yet? Because you'll want to know how much current it draws.

There are two isolator tips I'm aware of, one cheap:

[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/adaptors/isolator.html"]http://www.diago.co....s/isolator.html[/url]

And one expensive:

[url="http://www.thegigrig.co.uk/timelord-c2x15357225"]http://www.thegigrig...ord-c2x15357225[/url]

However the Diago is only rated for 110mA max but the GigRig Timelord can handle 999mA. GigRig also produce the 'Virtual Battery' but I can't find a power rating for it.

On the other hand, you can get an isolated supply for less dough than the GigRig Isolator, this one has come recommended by a fellow BCer in a nearby thread:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301907679302"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301907679302[/url]
[/quote]

Would the diago isolator tip remove some of that commomn noise we get when turning on the OD/Dist pedal?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1499166325' post='3329612']

Would the diago isolator tip remove some of that commomn noise we get when turning on the OD/Dist pedal?
[/quote]

This might help - https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/miscellaneous-peripherals/lehle-dc-filter?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-ezKBRCGwqyK0rHzmvkBEiQAu-_-LPGixVCGTEK8Nj2ZI1-dJuqiXdKCYG_Xt4Qnw1gvu18aAtvD8P8HAQ

Not a guaranteed fix but does the trick for some.

Edit: this can help remove the pops from true bypass switching, but won't get rid of the inherent noise present when overdrive/distortion sounds are active!

Edited by CameronJ