Why become a member? ×

Andertons

Phil Adams

Slightly off topic but they've become masters of social media marketing, completely hit the ball out of the park. Mind you, it's taken them 8 years, as it would anyone in their shoes. Occasionally I've contributed a bit of silliness to Lee's facebook posts and sometimes he's responded. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, which I'm sure is why they're doing so well.

I used to be a big fan of Andertons, and when I last went, I was initially very impressed with the dedicated bass room. However, it gets difficult to move around if you're not the only person in there. I haven't been back in a while - do they still fill the middle of the room with amps?

S.P.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1496825890' post='3314039']
Slightly off topic but they've become masters of social media marketing, completely hit the ball out of the park. Mind you, it's taken them 8 years, as it would anyone in their shoes. Occasionally I've contributed a bit of silliness to Lee's facebook posts and sometimes he's responded. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, which I'm sure is why they're doing so well.
[/quote]

Felt the videos used to be fairly quaint, but now not so much, they're just churning them out. I used to really enjoy the bass stuff when it was Lee Anderton and Nathan King; I'd sit through anything they put out as there was a degree of gooning about and definite chemistry between them, but the King/Voss ones (starting off with the Spector videos 7/3/17), all that kind of disappeared.

As an aside, I am eagerly awaiting the return of Phil X and The Drills to the Fretted Americana channel. Damn you, Bon Jovi.

To be fair, they are DESTROYING the competition in terms of online presence.

Recently, they have started to stock:

Spector
Darkglass
Chowny
LOTS of Musicman

...the list goes on.

Whilst I am no longer in the market for any bass gear apart from the odd pedal, mainly as I don't need anything but also because recent prices are insane, I would imagine Andertons would get my business on new bass gear due to the great service they provide. Places like GAK just cannot compete.

As it's my local shop I pop in there fairly frequently. I can tell you that they are only just beginning with their bass ventures.....
They intend reorganising elements of the shop floor/separate rooms to add many more bass brands and increase the amount of bass equipment. They are well aware of the limitations their current bass room has (not least all the metal on the walls vibrating as soon as you hit a bass note) and are lookign at ways to reorganise displays/shop layout.

I for one am thrilled that they're now stocking Spector, Darkglass etc and I'm looking forward to their new stock/displays/layout even if it takes months to organise....

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1496850197' post='3314298']
As it's my local shop I pop in there fairly frequently. I can tell you that they are only just beginning with their bass ventures.....
They intend reorganising elements of the shop floor/separate rooms to add many more bass brands and increase the amount of bass equipment. They are well aware of the limitations their current bass room has (not least all the metal on the walls vibrating as soon as you hit a bass note) and are lookign at ways to reorganise displays/shop layout.

I for one am thrilled that they're now stocking Spector, Darkglass etc and I'm looking forward to their new stock/displays/layout even if it takes months to organise....
[/quote]

...and I can't help notice that they have added Sire Basses to their website. Not in stock yet but somewhere to try before you buy is most welcome

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1496858748' post='3314356']
...and I can't help notice that they have added Sire Basses to their website. Not in stock yet but somewhere to try before you buy is most welcome
[/quote]
Hah! Really? I recommended them to Lee a while back! Nice.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496831382' post='3314104']
Felt the videos used to be fairly quaint, but now not so much, they're just churning them out. I used to really enjoy the bass stuff when it was Lee Anderton and Nathan King; I'd sit through anything they put out as there was a degree of gooning about and definite chemistry between them, but the King/Voss ones (starting off with the Spector videos 7/3/17), all that kind of disappeared.
[/quote]
The King/Lee ones left me unengaged, shall we say. Nathan, bless him, came across as a bit tense and awkward so I stopped watching after a while. I've not watched more than ten seconds of the new ones with Voss.

The problem is, even as primarily a bass player, i'd much rather watch the guitar videos.

I don't think it is the presenters, I think it is more related to the fact that two basses noodling around isn't that exciting. They need a guitarist or even some electronic drumming to just 'play along' whilst they demonstrate how the bass 'cuts through' etc...or provides a good backbone to the band.

Maybe even play along to backing tracks...with the bass high in the mix.

Yeah, nothing fails to sell a bass to me like 2 basses soloing together. 99% of bass playing is locking in a groove and I'd much rather hear the inherent tone of a bass i.e. is it punchy, growly, grindy, full-toned, weak, hi-fi or flat sounding.... in a real playing environment....

• 2 weeks later...

I used to skip school to hang out in the old Andertons in the early 80s when Lee's dad John ran the place. I live in Edinburgh now but still have family in Guildford so dropped in last month and was impressed. At one point there were 3 of us in the bass room. It was tight but not too bad. One guy playing and two browsing. The amps were at the side with just a couple of stools in the middle. To be honest GuitarGuitar in Glasgow has a much wider selection and I get through there a lot with work but I prefer the way the bass has its own room with a door you can close at Andertons. They also have 3 or 4 smaller rooms which are probably meant for guitar but I expect they'd set it up for bass if the main room was already being used. I was amazed at how busy they were (and how young) :(. I'm going back at the end of July so I'll pop back as I'm beginning to choose my next bass from a list of about 8 to try.

Edited by yonni

Yup for bass specific you tube 'reviews' I find the best feature some sort of song with the bass played in that context. There's a guy victor hugo 'somebody' who has a couple of darkglass ones up. His vids and playing is great though not the style I play.