Why become a member? ×

Best amp head (500W to 1000W) you've ever owned? (Or should definitely avoid!)

Al Krow

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1496840397' post='3314214']
Of the lighter ones I have owned the heads I currently enjoy are

Orange Terror Bass 500. It doesn't have a great variety of tones in the bin but I really like what it does - not everyone does so caveat emptor. Insanely loud, old school rock amp.

[/quote]

I've also been enjoying the Orange Terror Bass 500. I originally bought it as a back up for my Ampeg, then I thought I'd get a couple of Orange SP212's and use it for small gigs. However it's been my main gigging rig for several months now! Like Paul S says it doesn't have a lot of variety but if you like what it does it's great, especially for its' size and weight

I`ve had numerous amps over the years - since joining Basschat that is. Too many to list but those I`d mention as being ones I`ve particularly liked are the Markbass Little Mark Tube, Aguilar Tonehammer, and Ashdown ABM600-EVO IV & RM-500-EVO. I`m yet to have an amp that I don`t like as I can usually find a sound I can work with from most.

I haven't owned a bad amp in the dozen or so I've had in the last 10 years, but my go-to amp since it came out has been the Aguilar TH500.

Having said that, the [i]best[/i] amp would have to be either of my Thunderfunks, the 550 and then the 750.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496868824' post='3314451']
I haven't owned a bad amp in the dozen or so I've had in the last 10 years, but my go-to amp since it came out has been the Aguilar TH500.

Having said that, the [i]best[/i] amp would have to be either of my Thunderfunks, the 550 and then the 750.
[/quote]

There seems to be a lot of love for the Thunderfunks. :)

One major plus with Thunderfunks is that, with the possible exception of the main transformer, all the parts are standard and replaceable.

I love mine and it's the only amp that gets positive comments from other musicians. (When used with a Barefaced BB2.)

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1496873961' post='3314494']
There seems to be a lot of love for the Thunderfunks. :)

One major plus with Thunderfunks is that, with the possible exception of the main transformer, all the parts are standard and replaceable.

I love mine and it's the only amp that gets positive comments from other musicians. (When used with a Barefaced BB2.)

Frank.
[/quote]

Have to fess that of the heads mentioned so far (for which thanks guys) one of the ones I've not really come across on my travels is the Thunderfunk, which as you say, Frank, does seem to be getting a lot of love already on this thread. Apparently Jaco Pastorius's goto amp head - quite a recommendation right? But are these things still made, other than TBF-800 and does anyone stock them in the UK?

Please keep your views and reviews coming!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1496868119' post='3314442']
Another for Thunderfunk 550 or 750. ;)
[/quote]

Just how 'north of the Tyne' are you? I'd love to have a go on a Thunderfunk.............

So far favourite amps for me have been in chronological order Trace Elliot AH200 (back when they were the thing to have). That was an amp that just worked. Fashion saw it off to an early grave. Then Markbass SA450 but the one that really makes me happy is the EBS 350.

Its the only amp so far that right from the first time using it, it gave me confidence from the get go. Very plug and play. Great sound. Its not a 500w but it replaced a 500w and I cant say I have ever felt like I'm missing something.

There have been a few disappointments along the way that I hoped would be as good as the hype but in my hands just didn't do anything special or actually made things sound worse. As some of these are some folks favs, I wouldn't like to diss em here. Its a case of one mans food and all that.

I haven't yet tried some of the others like the Thunderfunk mentioned here so until I get the opportunity its the EBS 350 for me. Have to say I didn't like the "improved" EBS 360 as much. If it aint broke ect....

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1497023336' post='3315406']
There have been a few disappointments along the way that I hoped would be as good as the hype but in my hands just didn't do anything special or actually made things sound worse. As some of these are some folks favs, I wouldn't like to diss em here. Its a case of one mans food and all that.
[/quote]

Oooh go on - good to hear both sides of the picture and I'm sure your fellow BCs won't mind you sharing your experiences (even if it is of their fav amp of all time :)) - it's certainly helpful to get views on what didn't work (and why).

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1497091867' post='3315788']
I didn't like the Aggy Tonehammer. At all. There, I've said it... :unsure: :D
[/quote]

I'm with you on that one. Not my thing at all. FOr me it was the amp I've owned which I was most disappointed with, after all the hype I'd read.

My absolute 100% amp recommendation has to be the Trace Elliot SMX series. The 250 will see off any modern class D 500 Watter volume-wise and has a tone and sheer impact that I have not found elsewhere. The 250's are reasonably portable too - an easy one hand lift. (although it all gets a bit silly with the 350 and up, which are well over 20kg)

I keep trying other stuff but always come back to owning an SMX. Amazing amps.

I've been through a few:

SWR, all valve (x2), Euphonic Audio, Genz (x2), EBS, Trace Elliot, Glockenklang (x2), plus several combinations of pre/power amp.

The one which ticks all the boxes for me, and I can't fault at all is the Glockenklang Blue Rock. I've never considered anything else since getting this amp. As you might expect, it's expensive, and has gone up by around £200 since I bought mine due to the weak pound :(
Still, for me this is the perfect amp.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1497091867' post='3315788']
I didn't like the Aggy Tonehammer. At all. There, I've said it... :unsure: :D[/quote]

You're listing some quality gear in your sig. Your Magellan and Walkabout are world class amps.

I know (and it's taken me a lot of faffing to get here :) ), but the OP was after some controversial confessions, and that's mine. :D

While I'm in the confessional...I didn't mind the RH450, either - I thought it was a good amp, with a feature set (presets, compressor, tuner) which no-one else has matched all of yet...

I feel better for that :lol:

I'd have to post a vote ([i]is this an election?[/i]) for both TE and EBS.

All my TE equipment gives what I want it to - great tone, heavy punch and ease of use.

The EBS HD350 is the only other head that I consider came close. I'm told the 650 version has a killer sound.

I had a number of Class D heads, all of which I now consider to be "The Emperors Clothes", and a Mesa Walkabout which, though I know some people love, did nothing for me.

Horses for courses.....

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1497100972' post='3315853']
Blyth! ;)
[/quote]

You know we gig up there an awful lot, we're at the Willow Tree on July 1 if you wanna pop in and say 'hi'.
[size=1]And let me profile your Thunderfunk on the Kemper.[/size] :P

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1497116985' post='3315992']
You know we gig up there an awful lot, we're at the Willow Tree on July 1 if you wanna pop in and say 'hi'.
[size=1]And let me profile your Thunderfunk on the Kemper.[/size] :P
[/quote]

Unfortunately gigging at a private party that night. I'll see if we can meet up sometime; typical that I've been gigging twice a week every week for months and I've presently only one gig this month (17th @ Blackhall Navy Club... wherever that is)!

Glockenklang Blue Soul by a mile. Only sold it because it is slightly wider than a barefaced One10 and overhanging amps look sh*t... Silly really but there we go...

I believe the Blue Soul is a few models out of date these days, so I expect the more recent incarnations in the glock class D range are even better.