Why become a member? ×

Splitting P-bass pickups.

I've got an old P-bass copy (an Aria Primary bass) that's got a Delano pickup in it. It sounds great in isolation, but the D&G strings get lost in the mix when we play...I've tried raising/lowering the pickups, but to little avail.

I got to wondering whether I could split the pickup into its two sides and route two signals into a stack-knob to try and balance things out.

Possible?

Entirely possible but the two side of the pickup will then be wired in parallel rather than series which will sound different to a regular P (more polite, less grunt). Have you tried tweaking the EQ at your amp end to get a better balance?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1496909557' post='3314572']
Entirely possible but the two side of the pickup will then be wired in parallel rather than series which will sound different to a regular P (more polite, less grunt). Have you tried tweaking the EQ at your amp end to get a better balance?
[/quote]

Tried everything, pretty much! Different amp/cab combinations, different pre-stages, balanced set strings (and so on).

It's not my main bass, but I love to use it. I was considering getting a new scratchplate so I could reverse the pickups, but that would involve getting the chisels out. It just hit me that I could try a VVT set up and retrofit a stackknob pot to have some independency over each side of the strings. I had an old Fender P and that suffered as well...D&G were too quiet/lost.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496911523' post='3314595']
Tried everything, pretty much! Different amp/cab combinations, different pre-stages, balanced set strings (and so on).

It's not my main bass, but I love to use it. I was considering getting a new scratchplate so I could reverse the pickups, but that would involve getting the chisels out. It just hit me that I could try a VVT set up and retrofit a stackknob pot to have some independency over each side of the strings. I had an old Fender P and that suffered as well...D&G were too quiet/lost.
[/quote]

couldnt you just reverse the pickup by extending the wires between the two halves(and probably the output wires as well) so no chisels would have to be involved?

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1496912736' post='3314612']
couldnt you just reverse the pickup by extending the wires between the two halves (and probably the output wires as well) so no chisels would have to be involved?
[/quote]

Misinterpreted...I was looking to swap the pickup around (a la the Mark Hoppus signature bass). The 'bass side' E&A stays where it is, the 'treble side' D&G goes closer the to the neck, where in theory the different position gives the strings different tonal characteristics.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1496912052' post='3314601']
Don't know if you use effects, but it sounds like a bit of compression will go a long way to help you out with that...
[/quote]

I had a EH Black Finger compressor; a bit Emporer's New Clothes to me. May investigate a Boss BC-1X.

If the volume difference isn't caused by the set up, and faulty strings aren't the issue, try swapping the coils round:
So the section now under the E, A will be under the D, G, and vice-president versa. See if this moves the low volume to the E,A. If so, change the pups.

In relation to the Mark Hopus thing. I've had basses with both configurations. I still do. I also have read posts on here others say, for all the agro of changing them round, it makes very little difference.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496907284' post='3314557']
. It sounds great in isolation, but the [b]D&G [/b]strings get lost in the mix when we play...

[/quote]

When I first read this I thought you had [b]Dolce & Gabbana[/b] pick ups....can't even blame having just got up...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496915523' post='3314638']
Misinterpreted...I was looking to swap the pickup around (a la the Mark Hoppus signature bass). The 'bass side' E&A stays where it is, the 'treble side' D&G goes closer the to the neck, where in theory the different position gives the strings different tonal characteristics.

I had a EH Black Finger compressor; a bit Emporer's New Clothes to me. May investigate a Boss BC-1X.
[/quote]

If you see Grangur's post below this one I am quoting, that was the rationale I was using when I made my suggestion. I really think this is your best bet.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496915523' post='3314638']
[/quote]

If you're gonna go for one, I'd really recommend the TC spectracomp pedal. 1 knob and sounds great even in it's 'standard' / 'out of the box' setting..

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1496934429' post='3314822']
If you're gonna go for one, I'd really recommend the TC spectracomp pedal. 1 knob and sounds great even in it's 'standard' / 'out of the box' setting..
[/quote]

I never really got the [i]menage-a-quatre [/i]or gain/release/ratio/threshold...none of them seemed to do anything. I am a one knob kind of guy. Cough.