Why become a member? ×

Adding Jazz pickup to P-bass

I've decided to add a jazz bridge pickup to my Callowhill P-bass. I love the tone a i have but more and more I'm missing that bridge pickup sound, especially for faster funk stuff. It will need routing so it'll go to Chris Mcintyre (wouldn't even think of doing it myself) but I wondered if there was anything else i needed to consider? As far as electronics go I'm torn between two volumes or having a three-way switch - whenever I've had a blend pot i only ever use it in 3 positions anyway! - any thoughts/advice on this would be great.
thanks
L

and I'm pretty sure I want to use a Nordstrand NJ5SE jazz pickup

Edited by bassist_lewis

Adding a vol pot for the J pickup will subtly alter the sound of the solo'd P pickup (it changes the pickup loading). Using a switch would avoid this. If you don't need the in-between blended sounds then I'd go for a switch.

My 2p. . . . . . I'd get a Jazz to compliment your P bass.

IMO as the owner of 2 PJ's I find the P pickup dominates the tone to the point where the J doesn't add much. Nothing more than a good EQ section on the amp would do.

Both my basses sound better with the J pickup switched off. I have a couple of cracking J basses I can use when that sound is required.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1497301585' post='3317208']
I've had a few PJs and don't find the J does a lot on a PJ.
[/quote]

Its really important to match the pickups carefully. You need a lowish vintage-type P with a pretty hot J pickup, or the P will dominate.

Also, it needs care setting up the pickup heights to again ensure the P does not dominate.

When it all comes together it can be fantastic thuogh, and its not that difficult really.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1497425860' post='3317958']

Its really important to match the pickups carefully. You need a lowish vintage-type P with a pretty hot J pickup, or the P will dominate.

Also, it needs care setting up the pickup heights to again ensure the P does not dominate.

When it all comes together it can be fantastic thuogh, and its not that difficult really.
[/quote]
In PJ configuration I've always just used the manufacturers pickups. I must be having the P pup too close to the strings. Thanks for comment.